R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Is Duratrax full of it? Ongoing problems with ICE chargers

I have been having problems with the forward and back buttons on both of my ICE chargers not working 95% of the time. I have also heard numerous complaints from other racers at my track as well as many online complaints. You practically have to hit them with a hammer to respond to a button push...if they do at all.

I sent an email off to DTX regarding the issue, and here is the response I got:

----------------------------------------

Quote:
Dear Carl,
Thank you for your recent email. We have conducted rigorous tests and
through personal experience have not run into similiar problems. There
may be a chance that your chargers are defective. If so, please send
them to the address below for replacement under your warranty.

Thank You
Kit W.
Product Support

Hobby Services
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite #1
Champaign, IL 61822
-------------------------------------------------------

It sounds to me like they do not have many of these things sitting in pits at busy tracks as I guarantee that they get this way from poor protection of the switch from outside elements and large amounts of use such as a full 2 day race weekend with 3-4 classes worth of packs being charged for 3-4 races per day. An I even take an air compressor lightly to all of my equipment after each race weekend to blow out track dust.

I just find it hard to believe that they have never heard of this before.

I am happy they are offering to fix them, however although I have the original boxes, I couldn't fathom where the receipts are and I am not going to pay for a repair if they decide to tell me that they are not in warranty without an original receipt and claim that this is not a known issue requiring attention to all ICE chargers.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have 2 with one that's a couple years old and have had no problems with mine. The older one just went with me to a week long race event on the east coast- it worked so well for me that it prompted me to buy a 2nd ice.

I recently changed the back light screen and when I opened the case I noticed that the yellow buttons can slide on and off of the button mechanism... are your yellow buttons pushed so far down by chance that it's preventing the button mechanism to work freely?

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have had 2 for over a year and had no problems at all. Duratrax and Yokomo have sold thousands of these to Car racers and Heli and Plane pilots.

I would do what they suggested and send the faulty charger back.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have used my two ICE chargers outdoors, indoors, at asphalt and dirt offroad tracks for two years and had perfect operation the whole time.

If there is a problem with your charger just send it in for repair. They replied to your concern and I see no quality issues with the ICE charger or the service they provide.

Good luck.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm confused.

If they said send them in for warrenty replacement, how is that a bad thing? Hell, if you put the name Novak at the top of that email, people would be saying "see, another example of excellent Novak service".

Trust me, there are some companies that would sooner spit on you than offer service, even service under warrenty.

So that email doesn't seem bad to me at all.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

duratrax and novak have the most lenient warranty programs available. even if you fk up, they will cover you.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
duratrax and novak have the most lenient warranty programs available. even if you fk up, they will cover you.
Amen.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you are good friends with the hobby shop, you can have them print a reciept for the chargers for you, as if you bought them recently.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93
If you are good friends with the hobby shop, you can have them print a reciept for the chargers for you, as if you bought them recently.
Nice.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

Maybe not use compressor to blow the dirt off, just wipe it off is much better. Sometimes, the compressor blows more dirt into the contact area or fan bearings. I try to use a paint brush or Serpant clay as much as possible instead of compressor air.

Among my pitmates/friends, we have 8 ice. All work fine and it is very easy to navigate and it charges big lipo at max charge amp. I'd say it is the best charger for around $120 plus 5 yr warranty too.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Rc_Boy89

I had same problem to with my older ice (I have two) I had a chat to duratrax and they replaced it, I dont really see what the problem is? they've said their more than happy to do a replacement

Kyosho STRR / OS Speed
Mugen MTX-4R / RB Speedline Matrix
Jammin CRT.5 / Sirio STI
Rc_Boy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

many have used this charger with no problems, i have heard no complaints and nothing but praise at 5 different tracks. that is what convinced me to try one. it's my main charger now

this charger is actually a reskinnned/colored Yokomo charger. DTX is'nt the only one to do this.... Super Nova and now Team Checkpoint has also. i have heard rumor that the Triton2 is the same internally.
fast-ho-cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Default Backlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
I have 2 with one that's a couple years old and have had no problems with mine. The older one just went with me to a week long race event on the east coast- it worked so well for me that it prompted me to buy a 2nd ice.

I recently changed the back light screen and when I opened the case I noticed that the yellow buttons can slide on and off of the button mechanism... are your yellow buttons pushed so far down by chance that it's preventing the button mechanism to work freely?

Who makes the backlight update???
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Default ICE

Have had two for over a year now, I race twice a week and practice three days a week and have never had a problem. I can't say that using the compressor to blow them off helps either, it justs forces the crap in further, and if there was a persistant problem I'm sure Checkpoint would have changed the button design on the new charger.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:27 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have three, and love them. They are great chargers, but I have noticed that the older they get, they develop problems. Not in functionality but in accessibility. ie, my rotary dials are extremely sensitive now (It is actually quite annoying). My newest one is fine still. I have contemplated emailing dtx about it, but didn't know how good cs was. But they sent a good reply to the guy who started the thread, so hopefully will have it sorted out in a few weeks.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote