R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2007, 01:18 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _pilot_
Who makes the backlight update???
i would be very interested to do a back light mod to mine to as thats the only thing i can fault with mine. no backlight gives me the shits!
pti goliath crawler... (always being modified)
hpi baja 5b ss 29.5 cc setting up 4 1/4 scale speedway
acko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I've got one aswell (coming upto a year old now )
no prob's what so ever with my ICE
done loads of motor run in's
charged Nicads & Mih with no prob's
charged 4800 Li-Po no probs

got stickers all over it ,it gets put in bag with out it's box & it still goes

good charger
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:13 AM   #18
Tech Adept

Default Backlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by acko
i would be very interested to do a back light mod to mine to as thats the only thing i can fault with mine. no backlight gives me the shits!
Found the company, about $25 www.hobikit.com
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Woah guys...not sure why I'm getting slammed here...

I believe I said I was happy they were offering to fix/replace them, however I am trying to decide if they are worth staying with because I have probably half a dozen at our track alone with this same issue...all bought at very different times and even in different regions of the country...so it's not just a "bad batch" and I'm a bit upset that DTX can claim that they have never seen this issue. That just can't be possible with that many at our track with issues alone.

Forgive me for questioning a brand that you are all obviously passionate about...I guess I'll just move on as I can't afford to be without $250 worth of chargers for even one weekend while the summer points chase is going on...I'll replace them and sell these off when I get them returned from DTX.
gndprx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I recently opened up a unit that had forward/back buttons stuck as you said.

I finally figured out that the capacitor bundle was hindering the button operation, physically jammed. After I moved the bundle over to the other side a bit, and had case on right, they were all fine again.

FYI just in case you're the type to "take a peek" before you mail it off...

Last edited by swopemike; 05-28-2007 at 10:53 PM.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #21
Tech Adept

I have 3 units and on one i have one yelow button problem too. It works but you must press it harder to be shure that will do the job. Allso i have button problem on some other hobbies products like esc and discharger not made by Duratrax, so i think that button problem is not only duratrax issue. It's general problem of a button quality that all use in products generaly made in china.
Duratrax is great in after sell suport, i did use it so i know.
tomislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:23 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have 2 also, and basically so does every person I know. The only complaints I ever heard were the non-backlight issue and 10amp discharge. Backlighting is a easy $30 fix (ebay), and with lipo's comming you dont even need a discharger.
If you bought this from Tower hobbies or Omni models all you have to do is pull up your history and see when you bought it and print out the record of purchase, although they probably dont care if you have a receipt or not, I'd assume they would fix it anyway......Really who's going to keep the receipt for 5yrs, cant tell you where mine ran off to.
Send it in, whats the worst that can happen? If they dont fix it you'll know for sure its time to move to another charger.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #23
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I been lucky. I have had 6 different ICE chargers and never had any problems with mine. We have lots of guys using these at are track and zero problems so far. Are local shop sells alot of these units and never any problems. Maybe a bad batch went out. Duratrax just sells them as I'm sure they don't build these units and are sub contracted out to another company.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to roadkill

duratrax stand behind warrenty, HA HA yea right, they said,when i put the back lite in I broke the lcd, well just to tell you, my charger worked fine after i put the lite kit in,hell if worked for 5 months,than i noticed a row of lcd's were not working,so i sent it in,and of course no warrenty work here, lets charge him 34 bucks to fix it, on top of the 9 bucks i spent to get it to them. vary unhappy with durajunk
Old 06-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Default Duratrax

They didn't cover it under warranty because YOU installed the backlight. Most manufacturers void the warranty if the product has been tampered with and since the backlight upgrade isn't made or endorsed by Duratrax it shouldn't be a surprise that they wouldn't cover it under warranty.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My ICE has been my primary for over a year. Lot's of 3800's, 6000 lipo, 3200 lipo, and transmitter. Zero trouble. We have 10-12 guys running them without trouble.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:41 AM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the button issue on both of mine.
Greg M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:06 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

i too face problem with my ice button, very non responsive......
edwintklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:07 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to roadkill

yea i understand the tamper issue, but I was improving their crappy product buy puting a lite in. now heres another good one, gave them my cc info,blah blah. than i asked if the back lite would be in the repaired charger,thay said no,so now when it gets here,i have to (void) the warrenty,all to improve their crappy charger. im done with hobbico, when it gets here,it's going on the boards. screw em, I will buy something else.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #30
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So let me get this straight, you bought it....KNOWING IT DIDN'T HAVE A BACKLIGHT, then get mad because YOU voided your own warrenty by opening it up!

Man, people are priceless!

Buy something you know doesn't have a feature you want, then call it crap because it doesn't have it. Then get mad when they follow through on what the warrenty info clearly says they'll do. And to top it off, your going to get the thing back and do it all over again! Priceless!

Okay, I'll stop laughing long enough to try to help...

Heres a thought, rather than screwing your self over again, why not just sell the ICE and buy a charger that has a backlight. The Triton Jr. and the Multiplex chargers both have backlights and are cheap enough that you'll likely be able to sell your ICE and get one of those with that money, so your not losing anything. They both seem like very good chargers and don't really lack much of anything that the ICE has, especially if your running LiPo.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I'm sure if you look around, you'll find people who think their crap because they don't have a feature that they knew they didn't have when they bought them, so umm...nevermind.