R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjracing View Post
You can't alway's go by a bench test with tires with no load on them, sure you can blow off any tire, foam or rubber doing a bench test like that with no load to the wheels. I would try a test run out side so you have load on the wheels. I'm pretty sure that the tires wouldn't fail under load, with load on the wheels you will get different results. With the weight of that motor on the rear wheels your tires will not expand as big under load. You should complete building up the car, Then take it out for testing and see where you are at and then make final adjustments from there. Then if the tires do fail from there then that's when you start to try and reslove that issue then go to plan B. Since it's home built try to make extra spare parts too or a spare car, going that fast anything can happen. Good Luck and I hope all work's out for you. Take Care...
I hope that actual ground testing will help keep the tires from falling apart. That is one thing that you cant analytically test for, you have to do it experimentally. I just ordered some new tires and they should be in next week.
b4maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #47
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4maz View Post
I hope that actual ground testing will help keep the tires from falling apart. That is one thing that you cant analytically test for, you have to do it experimentally. I just ordered some new tires and they should be in next week.
I hope all works out for you, Try running some down force on the car too. If you do go rubber belted tires Please be careful and here is the reason, In the beginning of 2002 I was bench testing a 2wd electric car to see more or less what kind of power I had. It was a brushed motor 2wd car with super nitro rubber belted tires with rims, now the problem I had at the time I kept popping the tires off on the bench test so after trying many bench tests the tires didn't pop off the worst happened since the belted tires couldn't expand any larger at max rpm the side wall of the tire failed ripped up ward and caught my right thumb and cut me deep and blood everywhere I now have a permenant scar on my thumb from bench testing tires, My best friend/co-worker spent about 6-8 minutes cleaning up my blood on the table top and floor and the car. That wasn't a fun experience. So Please be careful when bench testing tires, I wouldn't want anyone to go through my experience, it was painful I have experience too with speed runs, In 2003 I ran my TC3 with a Hacker C50 with 12 cells at 71mph at half track if I had the space I could of gone alot faster the parking lot was limited and that's all I had for testing at the time. After 3 passes I wrecked I went to steer my car to the left and coast it to a stop but when I turned left the TC3 went airborne came back down went strate into the curb hit the fence and parts went everywhere too get to the point the car was totalled everything damaged and broken. But it gave the many people who where there that day something to talk about for the rest of that summer. Good Luck with your car and be careful with them bench tests Take Care...
trjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't know if it would work for an ISR car or not, but for my velodrome testing for axle speed, I made a makeshift chassis dyno using a stiff tplate and an old rear pod assembly.

I actually took the tplate/pod assembly as flipped them upside down and fastened them to my scale table.

I use an old set of WIDE capped oval tires on the dyno axle, and I use an old stock motor for the power load motor with a resistor wired across the +/- terminals. I use about a 4:1 gear ratio on the dyno pod setup and have adjusted that on occasion to increase or decrease the amp load draw.

This seems to really help control the tire growth of my velo tires, and it's set up so I can do simulated take off loads with an inductive amp meter.

I put a chassis stop using just a couple of Wood/Drywall screws into the scale table. This lets the car sit on top of the tires and push against the screws..and I operate it with my radio and the car sits perfectly in place w/o having to hold it..when at full speed power. (NOTE: we are only running 65+ mph with our Modified Velo cars)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #49
Tech Initiate

man that car is crazy... i see ur using gms hub
mangobanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #50
Tech Initiate

this is probably the craziest thing ive seen since pat mcdonalds shaft-drive extreme rail blowing up tires on the strip last weekend
mangobanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:43 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

Fontana, CA- Long time dirt oval racer Nic Case from Mission Viejo, CA is the new world record holder for Fastest R/C Car. If the 160.1 mph speed was not suprising enough, the record was set with his 15 year old Custom Works Intimidator dirt oval car. Known for its prowess on the countries dirt oval tracks few expected the weary old Inimidator to do quite so well against so many different types of cars and creations. Nic wiped the dust off his car, added a brushless motor, Li-po batteries, BSR Purple foam tires and one of our #9011 Bullet Wedge Bodies and pulled the trigger. You can find more info on the event at RCCarAction.com and you can also see a video of Nic's 134mph run at www.racers-haven.com Nic's favorite hobby shop.
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #52
Tech Master

Nics run of 160 mph was not verified, I think there was a problem with the speed gun. 134 is the unofficial speed record we are all trying to beat

Cheers
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 AM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy12345 View Post
Nics run of 160 mph was not verified, I think there was a problem with the speed gun. 134 is the unofficial speed record we are all trying to beat

Cheers
No what happened was on the second pass the car glitched at 91mph and smacked the wall so he couldn't back the 160.1mph run.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Quote:

Cheers
The 134mph is offical but he's coming back to this year to try and back up the 160.1mph and he might be faster this time around.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
I don't know if it would work for an ISR car or not, but for my velodrome testing for axle speed, I made a makeshift chassis dyno using a stiff tplate and an old rear pod assembly.

I actually took the tplate/pod assembly as flipped them upside down and fastened them to my scale table.

I use an old set of WIDE capped oval tires on the dyno axle, and I use an old stock motor for the power load motor with a resistor wired across the +/- terminals. I use about a 4:1 gear ratio on the dyno pod setup and have adjusted that on occasion to increase or decrease the amp load draw.

This seems to really help control the tire growth of my velo tires, and it's set up so I can do simulated take off loads with an inductive amp meter.

I put a chassis stop using just a couple of Wood/Drywall screws into the scale table. This lets the car sit on top of the tires and push against the screws..and I operate it with my radio and the car sits perfectly in place w/o having to hold it..when at full speed power. (NOTE: we are only running 65+ mph with our Modified Velo cars)
Wow, that is ingenious. Thats a good idea. I have been trying to get something like that setup myself. I do have my spare L3 sitting here. I have been thinking of building from scratch a roller type system, but this would work just as well.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjracing View Post
I hope all works out for you, Try running some down force on the car too. If you do go rubber belted tires Please be careful and here is the reason, In the beginning of 2002 I was bench testing a 2wd electric car to see more or less what kind of power I had. It was a brushed motor 2wd car with super nitro rubber belted tires with rims, now the problem I had at the time I kept popping the tires off on the bench test so after trying many bench tests the tires didn't pop off the worst happened since the belted tires couldn't expand any larger at max rpm the side wall of the tire failed ripped up ward and caught my right thumb and cut me deep and blood everywhere I now have a permenant scar on my thumb from bench testing tires, My best friend/co-worker spent about 6-8 minutes cleaning up my blood on the table top and floor and the car. That wasn't a fun experience. So Please be careful when bench testing tires, I wouldn't want anyone to go through my experience, it was painful I have experience too with speed runs, In 2003 I ran my TC3 with a Hacker C50 with 12 cells at 71mph at half track if I had the space I could of gone alot faster the parking lot was limited and that's all I had for testing at the time. After 3 passes I wrecked I went to steer my car to the left and coast it to a stop but when I turned left the TC3 went airborne came back down went strate into the curb hit the fence and parts went everywhere too get to the point the car was totalled everything damaged and broken. But it gave the many people who where there that day something to talk about for the rest of that summer. Good Luck with your car and be careful with them bench tests Take Care...
Thanks for the support. Sorry about your accident. I was lucky with my tire explosion as I wasn't directly over the car and none of my body parts were close to the wheel when it happened. I just hope that this type of failure doesn't happen during street testing. It would be catastrophic.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #57
Tech Addict

Hey B4MAZ, let us know how your testing goes. Good Luck to you and I really do hope you do get to break a world record this year with your car. All that hard work should pay off. Take Care...
Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #58
Tech Fanatic

Default Car status

John Stranahan and I are planning on doing some testing at a location in Houston this weekend. I am waiting on my spare tires and some parts to come in this week. If I don't get the tires and some parts in the car wont be able to run. So hopefully everything gets in by Friday. Currently I am trimming the custom fiberglass body.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #59
Tech Master

I found the tyres I was looking for! 1/8th 45 shore with an outer rubber cover. Its not steel belted but will probably hold up better than norma foams.

Did you see ModMans wicked looking car on the RCzone website? Man thats a beast. I'm going to have to make a trip to the USA to get together with you guys.

This has got me hooked!
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I found the tyres I was looking for! 1/8th 45 shore with an outer rubber cover. Its not steel belted but will probably hold up better than norma foams.

Did you see ModMans wicked looking car on the RCzone website? Man thats a beast. I'm going to have to make a trip to the USA to get together with you guys.

This has got me hooked!
LOL, yea his car is very very sweet. We talk about our progress on the phone every other day. He has been helping me out alot.

Hey, where did you get those tires? Do you have a link for them? Manufacturer? what is the outside diameter? is it more than 3.25 inches?