R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #151
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default I couldnt make it to WFRCCC 2007 but...

Video of testing

The word is getting out..

Well, it looks like the word is spreading about my car and my attempt at 200mph with an rc car. This is great, except for all the wrong information that people have been posting. So far its been at:

Jalopnik

Digg

Autoblog

Engadget

OhGizmo

PistonHeads

Gizmodo

Almost all of the information is wrong in those posts so I will fix it here:

www.fastrc.blogspot.com is the website I started to follow the progress of all the high speed cars in the RC community. After months of reporting on other peoples cars, I decided to create my own high speed car. With my background in Aerospace Engineering I thought it would be a cool project.

The info in the websites listed isn't correct. My name is Nick Maslowski and www.fastrc.blogspot.com is mine and the X2 is the car I designed and am testing now. Nic Case is the current record holder at 134.4 mph for an RC car. I just report on the high speed events and peoples cars, that is why he is on my website. His electrified nitro Associated TC3 went 134.4 mph at last years World Fastest RC car contest. This year he got 127.2 mph with an electrified Shumacher Fusion.

I use the website to post updates on my progress and post updates on other high speed contests. I started with the design phase on a CAD program called CATIA V5 (Boeing uses this program to design their planes, I work for Boeing as an aerospace engineer). I spent 6 months designing it, then 2 months ago I built it, and now I am testing the X2. My ultimate goal is to reach 200 mph by next years Worlds Fastest RC car contest held by RC Car Action magazine. What you see in that video is the first real ground test of the car. I had not gone above 30 mph before this video was shot. In that video I was able to get it up to around 80 mph. Then I had issues with the foam tires exploding due to the VHT on the surface and the coefficient of friction being very inconsistent. The car is still in the prototype stage. The whole car isn't finalized and is still subject to a lot of change before its final form. John Stranahan is the guy taking the video. He is an expert in chassis design and suspension systems. He has helped me out a lot. The Houston raceway is the only place to open up a car like this. Its flat and I have plenty of room to wind it up and slow down.

I am working up to the cars full power from test to test. The finished power set-up will use a 12s (44v) Lithium Polymer battery from Thunder Power. The motor is a Neu brushless custom modified 2215/3y. It has a power capacity of 5000 watts (around 6.7 hp) and will be spinning the wheels at 21,000 rpms at 200 mph. The speed control is a Castle Creations HV-110 airplane controller. It can handle up to 44 volts and 110 amps continuous.

So far I have gotten a ton of positive response. On Aug 1st I got a letter from Ryan McDaniels of Lowe's Motor Speedway:

Quote:
Nick,

I read about your quest for the 200mph barrier on autoblog and found it very interesting. I recently met with Humpy Wheeler, President and General Manager of Lowe's Motor Speedway and he mentioned his interest in radio controlled cars. I passed along the article to him and he is interested in having you break the record at LMS.

If you have any questions, my office # is xxx.xxx.xxxx.

Regards,

Ryan McDaniels , CEcD

Director of Economic Development

Cabarrus Economic Development

3003 Dale Earnhardt Blvd

Kannapolis NC 28083

www.cabarrusedc.com
Testing is just beginning and I have a long way to go. My car may eventually go through some big design changes. I am going to continue tests at Houston Raceway's 1/4 mile track. I have some ideas to give me some more downforce to keep the front drive wheels on the ground.

-Nick M.

Last edited by b4maz; 08-04-2007 at 08:44 AM.
b4maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 AM   #152
Tech Master

We are holding a speed event here in the UK in September, why not come over for the event. If not then there will be 2 more next year.

Here is my new shell (Mines 7.5 HP!!)
Attached Thumbnails
Insane Speed Run car almost complete-04082007175.jpg  

http://www.fast-rc.co.uk/forum/index.php

Sponsored by:
Norfolk and Chance

Last edited by ziggy12345; 08-04-2007 at 07:49 AM. Reason: info
ziggy12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 AM   #153
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4maz View Post
The RC10L3 manual says that the front suspension can go from 0-4 degrees of caster. Can I get more than this?
see if you can find an old Bolink or Delta front end its a bar with holes at the end for the kingpins you can lay it up 90% if you want

think of a stright bar with two clamps to mount to the Chassis with to hole on the end for kingpin with setscrews on the ends to hold kingpins. you can tilt the bar to where you want. many old elec drag cars had these on there cars very easy to make if you have access to a mill to make sure the kingpin or in line from one end to other end
Mike's Hobbyshop in Dallas (RIP)
Nor-Cal Hobbies [The Race Place]
tpczx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Somewhere I've probably still got a couple of the old solid axle front ends...I think it was CHEATAH the made one that was split so you could run different caster on each side.

The standard L3 type front end with the caster shims all in the back gave a pretty good amound of caster, but what we do on the velodrome is get ahold of some of the old wedge shims for the OLDER RC10L 'non-dynamic strut' style front end...to put UNDER the suspension arms. These shims add about 2 more degrees per shim (We'd run 2-3 of these along with the Caster spacers on the upper arms)

We've also been known to mill or file the rear of the stock lower arms down to get more caster angle without dropping the chassis (which the shims cause the chassis to lower.)

Did you guys get a chance to see the video of our 20 car VELODROME race from last weeked?

60 mph 4 cell 10.5 NOVAK B/L Powered stock car bodied cars...

Makes you question - if a 4 cell/10.5 car can go 60 MPH, and a 4 cell 3.5 powered car can run close to 80 MPH - HOW MUCH MOTOR AND BATTERY DO YOU REALLY NEED to be considered... INSANE?
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #155
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpczx6 View Post
see if you can find an old Bolink or Delta front end its a bar with holes at the end for the kingpins you can lay it up 90% if you want

think of a stright bar with two clamps to mount to the Chassis with to hole on the end for kingpin with setscrews on the ends to hold kingpins. you can tilt the bar to where you want. many old elec drag cars had these on there cars very easy to make if you have access to a mill to make sure the kingpin or in line from one end to other end
If you look at Nic Case's cars he did that. He's got straight axles front and rear:
Attached Thumbnails
Insane Speed Run car almost complete-coverage02_03.jpg