Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
Just remember that the vast majority of weight transfer is due to the acceleration/deceleration of the car and the effect as it pivots around the CG. The amount of weight transfer caused by pitch/dive is almost zero.

Limiting droop does not limit weight transfer per se, what it actually does is unload the tyres (if/when you reach the droop limiters), decreasing grip and therefore decreasing the acceleration/deceleration force.

Your car with a 50/50 weight split will still transfer a lot more weight to the front of the car than the car with the 40/60 split, so will always have more steering.

However, inertia also comes into play as far as the feel of the car goes, cars with a lighter front may feel more initially responsive, this is not because they are generating more grip, it is because they do not have so much inertia to overcome to get the front of the car to change direction.

My own feeling is that the best way to judge the effect of weight distribution is mid corner, where the acceleration/deceleration force is pretty much balanced, and the tyres are working within their grip. Here, you are mostly working with static weight on the axles. If the car has a tendency to understeer mid corner, it probably needs more static weight to the front to bring up the load/grip. If it has a tendency to oversteer mid corner, try a little more weight to the rear.

Another good test is the transition from braking/balanced/acceleration. If the car is loose on power, more weight over the rear will help, if the car understeers on power, move some weight forward.

What is also interesting is that different peoples driving styles have a different affect on how they feel the weight transfer. I know a lot of racers who just drive the thing and don't really notice the difference between setups apart from it being good or bad. Equally I know racers who like to slide the car, and others (like myself) who try and keep all four wheels working at the same time. Personally I beleive that in touring car smooth is fast, but there are some very aggressive drivers out there that are really quick indeed.
Good stuff SOS...if defenitely like a car that will just scoot in and out of corners, instead of the looser throw it in the corner style.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Good stuff SOS...if defenitely like a car that will just scoot in and out of corners, instead of the looser throw it in the corner style.
In that case you will probably prefer the 50/50 car - setup #1 in your post - cars like this tend to carve the turns better. The rearward weighted car tends to need to be hustled through. If you have the opportunity try putting the car on four scales and do the corner weighting, maybe work out a couple of different equipment layouts that can give you 50/50, a 50 gram rearward bias and even a forward bias, then test.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
In that case you will probably prefer the 50/50 car - setup #1 in your post - cars like this tend to carve the turns better. The rearward weighted car tends to need to be hustled through. If you have the opportunity try putting the car on four scales and do the corner weighting, maybe work out a couple of different equipment layouts that can give you 50/50, a 50 gram rearward bias and even a forward bias, then test.
That's defenitely how I prefer my cars. The 4 wheels actually tend to work together and its like all 4 rotate on an axis, or it just turns right in sharply but the rear end is always planted.

Set up 2 type cars you can throw in the corners and then wait for the rear end to whip around, and you control how much by getting on power with a spool...once you get back on power the car stops rotating and stays straight and you just shoot and go to next corner...

The trick that with some car kits, they are designed to carry weight more forward or backwards than others. For example the new TRF416 has the motor mount set more rearward than previous models for added traction, so to get 50/50 type distribution on a 416 you have to take the chassis design into account and might have to play with suspension blocks and wheelbase.

What I'm looking at is how to get the 50/50 feel on car that is already best optimised for a 50/50 set up, so that we dont have to play with wheel base, and thus change driveshaft angles, and change other things just to get that 50/50 feel...if the weight is set properly, then there wont be a need to play with wheel base that much, it seems.

Dont know how it is on the S400 yet...I'll be looking into this more...but I think Randy pointed out that the car is rearward weight type car, set up #2.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:49 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UK.hardcore
the Serpent block sits 1mm higher then a Tamiya block if you use the same spacer and it is mounted upside down.

the kit spacer under the front rear block is 4mm.
Just a note, the -.5 block only needs 3mm under it.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone have any new info on the new serpent carrying bag's?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Ed. Thanks for your post bro...yes, Serpent S400 manual wants us to run the front rear suspension bracket upsidedown, meaning the number on the bracket is in the air, and facing down facing the chassis below. All others are in their normal position, where the number on the block is facing up and you can see it if you look at the car from a top view downwards.

Do you mean to try and run the front rear block in the normal position like the rest of the blocks? I'll try that and see how it goes...
Hmm, probably won't workthat way up, base of the block will touch the base. Where abouts is the block touching the standard way up?

Ed
Old 06-06-2008, 02:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by pc9840
Anyone have any new info on the new serpent carrying bag's?
I haven't heard of any news on the bags, I don't think I've even seen a picture yet..
Old 06-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Elite

Any Jon Kerr S400 sightings?

Please tell me you went to an Ok traction track at least?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default s400

yohan, did you get the pm I sent earlier ???
Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default S400 parts

Hey guys. I just picked up a s400 from yyhayyim. What are the common weak points, and most common issues.

Nick
Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Any Jon Kerr S400 sightings?

Please tell me you went to an Ok traction track at least?
Nope, haven't run it since. I don't think I'm going to get to the track for another couple of weeks. Too much other stuff going on.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phoenix82
Hey guys. I just picked up a s400 from yyhayyim. What are the common weak points, and most common issues.

Nick
All driver, whine too much. LOL

Will this one see the carpet??
Old 06-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default checkn up??

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
All driver, whine too much. LOL

Will this one see the carpet??
Hey Gary. You checking up on me???? I am gona stop by today and get some info on building batteries. As for when Ill be out. if you have an extra chassie. ill come out and run Saturday.

Nick

Last edited by Phoenix82; 06-10-2008 at 09:29 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Phoenix82

Nick
Honestly I haven't found any weak points as far as breaking goes, just order the stuff that might wear out after times like dogbone blades, arms, c-hubs & knuckles, universals, just the normal stuff.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Default Randy

Thanks Randy, Thats good to hear, my old cyclone was pron to break-well everything. Do you have a carpet setup-for 27t or 19t

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.