R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #1336
Tech Master

Useing one-way on mid shaft or Frt axle, you loose frt braking power ,or 50% of braking, or 100% of braking on the frt. Braking done by rear wheel only.One-way clutches are good in non-technical track(less cornering), Fast and str8taway track to add corner speed and traction.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:34 PM   #1337
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Wish I had more info on the center 1 way for you guys, but honestly I've only heard of them being used on asphalt tracks in the rain.

I either go locked center pulley with a spool, or 1 way front diff, and 1 way center pulley on tracks that allow that configuration.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM   #1338
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

What is the size of the bearings in the rear c-hubs. Are they 5x10x3 or 5x10x2? Also in the manual they list them as 5x8 & they list the front stearing blocks as 5x10. If I remember correctly the front and rear bearings are the same.
Thanks,
Ryan
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #1339
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

They are 5x10, I think 4mm wide though.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #1340
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to XACDesigns

I think all the wheel bearings are 5x10x3.
XACDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:17 PM   #1341
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

They are 3mm as George stated... The manual is incorrect, and Serpent has been notified of the error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Fenstermacher View Post
What is the size of the bearings in the rear c-hubs. Are they 5x10x3 or 5x10x2? Also in the manual they list them as 5x8 & they list the front stearing blocks as 5x10. If I remember correctly the front and rear bearings are the same.
Thanks,
Ryan
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #1342
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

hi, thanks for d reply

let say i use center 1 way with front spool, when i brake hard will d car overturn like braking with front 1way ?

do i need to change d center shaft if i wan to use d centre 1 way?? since d center 1 way gv more speed on corner i would like to try it too bt i scared i cannot use d brake anymore which will b a big disadvantages for me....

i have tried d jaad ceramic thrust ceramic bearing n 3mm ceramic bearing, they works very smooth...my lap time also improve as d diff wont get overheat...

another question, in wat kind of track we need to use C hub 8degree??
Old 03-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #1343
Tech Master

kschu

If you're constant useing brake and NOT a aggressive driver, One-way is NOT your answer. Like I said in the last post, you loose all braking on the frt wheels, Mid-shaft or One-way frt axle. Mid one way you use the same shaft, but use one-way lube on the shaft. and takes more maintenance If running outdoor tracks.

Useing 8deg C-hub changes yor wheel base to the shorter, and also turning angle(increase angle).Maybe a shorter & technical track. My preferance just 4drg C-Hub
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:59 PM   #1344
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

kschu-8 degree hubs will greatly reduce steering going into a corner and will increase mid-corner and exit steering. Using more caster is typical of large flowing tracks and not technical or small tracks.

On carpet with foams, 4 to 8 degrees are used typically 6 deg. in order to "tame" the car down or prevent over-steering.

Also, changing the c-hub does not affect wheelbase in anyway. They are completely independent tuning options.

It depends on the layout and size of track but I can safely say you will more likely than not never run 8 degree blocks outdoors.

Hope this helps....

Butter
Old 03-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #1345
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

thanks guys for answering my question...it's help me alots ...

if i race in high speed large track, will using a 6deg chub has more diadvantage if compare to 4 degree ?? this coming 21st march, i will have a modified race. for d meantime, my best lap is 16laps under 5min18sec(count under alex harahunjer counter). now i try to figure out how to make d car more faster on corner.....

please advise..

thanks
Old 03-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #1346
Tech Elite

kschu- read my post above.... if you use the 6 degree caster block it will give your car more mid-corner and corner exit steering but it will take out some corner entry steering. The use of the different caster blocks all depends on what YOU feel your car needs. I would say with 4 degree blocks you are going to be fine and if you need some more on-power steering I might suggest trying 0.6mm of anti-squat in the rear since this will reduce the amount of weight transferred to the rear of the car upon acceleration.

Did I confuse you? LOL!!! If you have any more questions keep on posting!!!

Butter
Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 PM   #1347
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
hi, thanks for d reply

let say i use center 1 way with front spool, when i brake hard will d car overturn like braking with front 1way ?

do i need to change d center shaft if i wan to use d centre 1 way?? since d center 1 way gv more speed on corner i would like to try it too bt i scared i cannot use d brake anymore which will b a big disadvantages for me....
HB Cyclones black editions come with a double one way set up, meaning one way up front, and one way center layshaft/pulleys. This combination is the most efficient and fastest on open non tecnical layouts where braking is not needed. It allows the front wheels to free spin entering turns off throttle, and each wheel travels at its own speed and you get better turn in, which can be done at higher speeds since you dont have to brake or slow down too much to get in and out of corners/lanes....the center oneway layshaft pulleys allow the REAR wheels to work at heir own rate independently from the front ones off throttle as you enter turns, also, and thus it makes the rear and front end work at their own pace, giving increased rotation and turn in on tracks with wider lanes on more open flowing layouts where you dont need to apply brakes to slowdown for hairpin turns or technical tight layouts.

This double one way set up is used in ASIA a lot on open tracks and when I tested ran my first Cyclones with that set up it was very smooth driving, and effortless steering in and out...once tracks got more technical, it works against you, and spools are the faster set up.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #1348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XACDesigns View Post
I think all the wheel bearings are 5x10x3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
They are 5x10, I think 4mm wide though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
They are 3mm as George stated... The manual is incorrect, and Serpent has been notified of the error.
Thanks,

I have another question for you guys running the gear diffs. Do you leave all four gears in or do you take 2 out and run with 2? If you run with 2 do you still use 5000 weight if you are running it in the rear with a 13.5 on rubber?
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #1349
Tech Elite

Ryan,

I have been running 4 gears in both 13.5 and 10.5. I do not think there is a measurable advantage to running just 2 gears. In modified you MUST run the 4 gears as the power from the motors can damage the diffs and/or cause them to not last long.

As for the wt fluid to use.....that is very track specific. The thinner stuff works better on low bite tracks and if traction gets really high (not very common on aspahlt) use heavier fluid. I would recommend not going heavier than 7-10k and probably 3-5k is a happy medium.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Butter
Old 03-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #1350
Tech Elite

Still more then a month till i get my kit.

It better be good to me when i build it then.

This sucks.

Now, did anyone stuff a Quark SSB MK 03 into his/hers? show pics please.