R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #1006
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

You will really like the car, it suits me well. It looks ike the parts shortage is coming to a close, most everything is out there in the sales channel. For the tracks on the state series, AJ, and myself have a real good base setup. The box one is good, but what we are running works better for the tracks we run on. When you get the car, buy a set of the white springs, thats all you will need, everything else comes in the box.

Some of the things I found that I like for this car.

Tamiya
53724 Lightweight 46mm Swing shaft < only use in the rear of the car
53707 Rear white belt < for the pimp, low friction action
53706 Front white belt
53933 1mm roll center spacers < just easier to use then shims
53932 .5mm rollcenter spacers

Serpent
401149 Pivot ball 4.5mm titanium (4) expensive, but REALLY nice.
160300 Spring white L23 (2.3/13)


Quote:
Originally Posted by XACDesigns View Post
That's nice Tim! I have a S400 coming to me and I have a CORE 5000 Lipo that I might have to sell or trade for one of those 3600's.
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #1007
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt
Default

Running 3.5T BL on carpet (Rubber tires) is really tough on the belts, especially after switching to the gear diff that doesn't slip at all.
The longest i and many others have come after the switch to gear diff is 10 packs per rear belt, then it either strips or snaps completely... The front holds up nice, i have only replaced it one time since mid october.
I'll order some standard black 415-belts and see if they're better.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:41 PM   #1008
Tech Elite
 
yyhayyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I really hope Serpent is revising the S400 ball cups/turnbuckles...for some reason they are bit tough to turn and adjust since they like to pop off when you try and adjust the turnbuckle...

And When is that GEAR DIFF going to be available! I called Serpent-USA a few weeks ago anf they said in few weeks the US will get them in...its been 2 weeks...any updates?
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #1009
Tech Regular
 
terryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 343
Default

[QUOTE=TimPotter;4014201]Some of the things I found that I like for this car.

Tamiya
53724 Lightweight 46mm Swing shaft < only use in the rear of the car/QUOTE]

They also work great in the front. After breaking 2 Serpent dogbones I fitted the Tamiya 46mm swingshafts and have never had a problem since doing so. I also run the Tamiya axle's #51094 and trunions #53500. All much stronger than the Serpent one's.
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #1010
Tech Regular
 
terryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
I really hope Serpent is revising the S400 ball cups/turnbuckles...for some reason they are bit tough to turn and adjust since they like to pop off when you try and adjust the turnbuckle...
You have to ease the turnbuckle out with a 3mm tap before assembly, use a left handed one for the L/H side, makes adjustment the way it should be, easy
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #1011
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 1,024
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I like the looks of this car, and the performance seems to be good, but if it needs all these other parts to be tuff enogh to race, Im wondering if it wouldnt be better to just try another type of car, Im not bashing it at all, I just dont want to end up with the wrong car....
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #1012
Tech Elite
 
yyhayyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc View Post
I like the looks of this car, and the performance seems to be good, but if it needs all these other parts to be tuff enogh to race, Im wondering if it wouldnt be better to just try another type of car, Im not bashing it at all, I just dont want to end up with the wrong car....
it doesnt need those parts at all...its just that since the car is only about 2 months old here in the US, at the beginning many of us were trying out different parts from other cars, before the S400 option parts and spares were fully available...that's all...

About the S400 axles and bones...they are steel and they are tough. They are as tough and work just as well as any TC out there. Actually much better than most TC's out there, since almost everyone makes them out of aluminum...expet for Xray and Serpent. You have to take a good hard hit to break snap a bone, and they have proven to be very tough...

As far as the rear ones, some guys tried the Tamiya 46mm alu bones to play with less weight and rotational mass/acceleration...its not really a "must", unless your at the WORLDS...and you need that .05 sec. edge, if that....
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #1013
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Diego, Ca.
Posts: 1,024
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

ok, that helps, is it a good car for rubber/asphalt, or is it more designed for something else ?
Mdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #1014
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dayton,TN
Posts: 1,120
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
No James, I do not, I have heard his name, so I suppose he runs gas in South Florida...
I'm sure you remember me don't ya Tim. All those times I had to bend you over and spank ya at the FSEARA races. Just teasing you. I'll see you at the Snowbirds.
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #1015
Tech Adept
 
Gergely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hungary, Budapest
Posts: 106
Default

You can also try to apply some transmission grease (yellow bottle) on the thread before mounting the plastic. With pre-tapping and grease you shouldn't have problems anymore with pop-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh View Post
You have to ease the turnbuckle out with a 3mm tap before assembly, use a left handed one for the L/H side, makes adjustment the way it should be, easy
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 04:32 PM   #1016
Tech Adept
 
Gergely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hungary, Budapest
Posts: 106
Default

I disagree. I tried these lightweight 46mm alu dogbones with their own 53500 couplins and they don't work in the front w/o modification. They are touching\grinding the axles. I have used them in the rear for races but now went back to the original Serpent ones. Yep, they are heavier but lot stronger and works nicer for me.

Mdoc: It's just a commonl thing, especially when a car is new and lacking some spares/option. Go for S400 and you will be really happy with the performance, out-of-box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryh View Post
They also work great in the front. After breaking 2 Serpent dogbones I fitted the Tamiya 46mm swingshafts and have never had a problem since doing so. I also run the Tamiya axle's #51094 and trunions #53500. All much stronger than the Serpent one's.
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #1017
Tech Regular
 
terryh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergely View Post
I disagree. I tried these lightweight 46mm alu dogbones with their own 53500 couplins and they don't work in the front w/o modification. They are touching\grinding the axles. I have used them in the rear for races but now went back to the original Serpent ones. Yep, they are heavier but lot stronger and works nicer for me.

Mdoc: It's just a commonl thing, especially when a car is new and lacking some spares/option. Go for S400 and you will be really happy with the performance, out-of-box.
If you read my post again, you will see that I use them with Tamiya axles, #51094 and Tamiya trunions/couplins, #53500, a complete Tamiya set in fact so no modification is needed. The result is very smooth, as is the Serpent set, the difference is that they dont break, which I am afraid to say that Serpent one's do! I am also reliably informed that Serpent are aware they have a problem with 'weak' dogbones and are dealing with it.

I'm not knocking the S400, it is without doubt the easiset car to drive fast that I have ever owned, but it does have teething problems, as you would expect and I am sure that in time, Serpent will deal with these problems to make the car even better.
terryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:52 PM   #1018
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

As I said in the post, everything you NEED is in the box. I just found those parts work, and I like to use them, that's all.

I thought I would list the parts numbers to help people out. None of those parts are a MUST have, just some additional options.

BTW, the swingshaft I listed is Aluminum, I would NOT use it in the front of a spooled car, once you hit something on power, it is done.... Try the 46mm steel ones for the front if you must.

Serpent is working on upgrades for a few parts, just like any manufacturer will do...

This is thier first electric touring car, and I think they did a great job with it...

and yes Ryan, I do remember.. I am not racing the birds this year, but I will be up there on Saturday to check the racing out... BTW, I thought you moved out of Florida, because the bunch of us from the south were getting faster.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdoc View Post
I like the looks of this car, and the performance seems to be good, but if it needs all these other parts to be tuff enogh to race, Im wondering if it wouldnt be better to just try another type of car, Im not bashing it at all, I just dont want to end up with the wrong car....
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #1019
Tech Fanatic
 
jammincrtjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
You will really like the car, it suits me well. It looks ike the parts shortage is coming to a close, most everything is out there in the sales channel. For the tracks on the state series, AJ, and myself have a real good base setup. The box one is good, but what we are running works better for the tracks we run on. When you get the car, buy a set of the white springs, thats all you will need, everything else comes in the box.

Some of the things I found that I like for this car.

Tamiya
53724 Lightweight 46mm Swing shaft < only use in the rear of the car
53707 Rear white belt < for the pimp, low friction action
53706 Front white belt
53933 1mm roll center spacers < just easier to use then shims
53932 .5mm rollcenter spacers

Serpent
401149 Pivot ball 4.5mm titanium (4) expensive, but REALLY nice.
160300 Spring white L23 (2.3/13)
Do you run white springs all the way around? Rubber on carpet?
__________________
NEXUS RACING www.nexusracing.com | FANTOM RACING www.fantomracing.com
ORCA www.orcarc.com | TURTLE TRAX / www.turtletraxraceway.com
--------------------------------------------------
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 PM   #1020
Tech Champion
 
TimPotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Boynton Beach Fl > Randoph NJ
Posts: 7,481
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter
Default

James,

We run on asphalt, I have tried really soft setups with white front and rear, but have settled on starting setup with Yellow front, White rear.

We run CS27's .
__________________
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Second Touring Car? Mi3 or Serpent S400 SocialRC12 Electric On-Road 16 08-11-2009 12:04 PM
Serpent S400 Electric Touring Car yyhayyim R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 11-07-2007 06:08 PM
Serpent S400 EP Touring Car CheeYong Malaysian R/C Racers 54 11-05-2007 05:57 AM
SERPENT S400 TOURING ELECTRIC CAR Team Kamikaze Electric On-Road 4 08-30-2007 06:38 PM
New Serpent S400 EP 1/10 Touring Car!!!!! Roniel_R Electric On-Road 3 05-26-2007 06:58 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:20 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net