R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2007, 03:41 PM   #901
Tech Initiate

Ok this one is for you foam tire guys. The fix that I found for the front tires rubbing. You need to run the front steering blocks off an Xray. To do this you also need to run the Xray drive axles, you will still run the serpent drive shaft but you need the Xtray axles and hex. Now the diffrence is the Xray block is a little wider so you need to actually narrow the car in the front by .5mm in the front. You do this with the Roll center mounts on the chassis. Yo will also have to shim the steering block in the caster block .75mm on top and bottom.

Well this is what I did and the car handled the same just made the rubbing stop.

Hope this helps some peaple
zedrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #902
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

The S400 takes another Podium finish at The RC Barn; 2nd place in a field of eight!

An overheated brushed motor and a conflicting work schedule took out two of the other top contenders by the time the checkered flags fell.

First place lapped the field midway thru the race, so the battle was between 2nd thru 4th, who traded places (and paint) multiple times. In the end, the S400 crossed the line in second.

The front spool worked flawlessly on the tight track (36x58) of The Barn. It seemed to 'pull' agressively thru the corners.

In the hands of a first-year rookie driver, the Snake is steadily slithering its way to a first place checkered flag.

Last edited by Centerline Racing; 11-18-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #903
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs View Post
no new steering knuckles in the works as far as i know, i narrow the rims up a bit. frees the car up in high bite.
What are you using to cut the tires down and about how much are you cutting off? I know the rear tires fit fine, but do you need to cut them down to keep them the same width as the front tires after they are cut down?

I know this is probley on some of the previous pages, but what diffs are everyone using up front and were can I order one. I can't wait much longer for Serpent.
R.Fenstermacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #904
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Fenstermacher View Post
What are you using to cut the tires down and about how much are you cutting off? I know the rear tires fit fine, but do you need to cut them down to keep them the same width as the front tires after they are cut down?

I know this is probley on some of the previous pages, but what diffs are everyone using up front and were can I order one. I can't wait much longer for Serpent.
If I may chime in...

I cut my fronts only, using my truer spinning away from me and a hacksaw. I cut them down to 26.75mm (or so), then I clean them up with my dremel with a drum sanding bit. The arbor is spinning and the dremel is spinning. I leave the rears alone.

I've been using the front spool on two different ozite tracks. One is 48x120, the other is 36x58. I can't believe the 'bite' I get from the front end from apex to exit.

IMO
Allan
Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #905
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fatboy

HI, Does anyone knows when the front 1way will be release ????
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #906
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to teammidget lilB

Hello this weekend I am going to run rubber tire carpet. This will be the first time I have taken the car to carpet. I was wondering if somebody has a good set up I could start with otherwise my plan was to just use to use my best spool set up.

Bryan

U.S. Army @ Camp Humphreys, South Korea
teammidget lilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:21 AM   #907
Tech Adept

Forgot to mention: ONLY in the REAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergely View Post
You can use the Tamiya Lightweight 46mm bones with the Tamiya inserts (53500) in the Serpent axle.
Gergely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #908
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Hey RCMARKET...

I placed an EMS Express order in for a 5-cell chassis and other items. Please ship today. Thank you. I also sent you a Private Message regarding other items that I am looking for.

thanks,
Chris
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #909
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran the S400 yesterday for the first time. I finished filing the battery slots, putting in the electronics, and only had time to set the droop, camber, and tweak before i had to ream the body post holes and right away to the first qualifier. I was blown away by how good the stock set up was out of the box. I finished second in the first & second qualifier. In the main i was sitting third easily catching the leaders waiting for them to make a mistake. The only problem i ran into was my driving haha. Everytime i was close to make a move, id clip a dot that made me bobble and lose seconds that happened 5 times! The only change i made was lean the shocks in 2 holes because the track was low traction. Overall...i was very impressed and i have a feeling i will give it a good review.

I race at - SDRC Raceway, CVRC Raceway and SoCal-RC Onroad

My Painters: Fatty Grafx -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatty-Grafx/138256833000949
JoelNavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #910
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelNavarro View Post
Ran the S400 yesterday for the first time. I finished filing the battery slots, putting in the electronics, and only had time to set the droop, camber, and tweak before i had to ream the body post holes and right away to the first qualifier. I was blown away by how good the stock set up was out of the box. I finished second in the first & second qualifier. In the main i was sitting third easily catching the leaders waiting for them to make a mistake. The only problem i ran into was my driving haha. Everytime i was close to make a move, id clip a dot that made me bobble and lose seconds that happened 5 times! The only change i made was lean the shocks in 2 holes because the track was low traction. Overall...i was very impressed and i have a feeling i will give it a good review.

Wasn't the front spool impressive the way it pulls the car thru the corners? Was your track a small tight one or large and open? I'm not sure I'll change to the option front diff when it comes available.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #911
Tech Elite

the Front One-Way is a must at our track. It works wonders! My current setup lets me run rubber on carpet very consistently.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #912
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline Racing View Post
Wasn't the front spool impressive the way it pulls the car thru the corners? Was your track a small tight one or large and open? I'm not sure I'll change to the option front diff when it comes available.
I think its good for loose tracks, or any asphalt track. Ive had a lot of experience running spool at SoCal in hunington beach, the Tamiya North America track, and parking lot racing at La Mirada, and in the san diego area in my XRAY, Tamiya, Schumacher cars. It works really good in the S400.

However, i think for high traction, such as carpet...i think a front diff would be the dialed set up to get more steering out of the car.

One thing i really luv is how much you can lean the shocks in, so you can do that before you change to another spring. One of the problems i ran into with the rear diff is that it wouldnt adjust right. What i think it was the two bearings in the diff were the wrong width, because after i took the washer/spacer out that goes between them...the diff could tighten down properly. With the washer/spacer installed, no matter how much i tightened it, then back off, the diff action and slip felt the same. After i took it out, it felt normal. I think i want to get ceramic balls for it.

Looking forward to running the S400 again!

I race at - SDRC Raceway, CVRC Raceway and SoCal-RC Onroad

My Painters: Fatty Grafx -https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fatty-Grafx/138256833000949
JoelNavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 PM   #913
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StadiumChris View Post
Hey RCMARKET...

I placed an EMS Express order in for a 5-cell chassis and other items. Please ship today. Thank you. I also sent you a Private Message regarding other items that I am looking for.

thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris,
Your order yesterday was sent !
please we web site !

Thankyou !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #914
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelNavarro View Post
I think its good for loose tracks, or any asphalt track. Ive had a lot of experience running spool at SoCal in hunington beach, the Tamiya North America track, and parking lot racing at La Mirada, and in the san diego area in my XRAY, Tamiya, Schumacher cars. It works really good in the S400.

However, i think for high traction, such as carpet...i think a front diff would be the dialed set up to get more steering out of the car.

One thing i really luv is how much you can lean the shocks in, so you can do that before you change to another spring. One of the problems i ran into with the rear diff is that it wouldnt adjust right. What i think it was the two bearings in the diff were the wrong width, because after i took the washer/spacer out that goes between them...the diff could tighten down properly. With the washer/spacer installed, no matter how much i tightened it, then back off, the diff action and slip felt the same. After i took it out, it felt normal. I think i want to get ceramic balls for it.

I guess it depends on the track layout / driving style. I have run a make shift front diff on the car, spool and one-way.. and rubber tire on ozite carpet, the one-way is definately the way to go. About 90% of the guys at CEFX and Larrys run the one-way for rubber tire. Our tracks are small/medium, but also technical. Now.. if you are talking FOAM.. that is a different story... Spool or diff.

My Mi3, JRXS-R, TA05-MS, TA05-R, MSXX, TC5, T2007, S400 all responded the same way to the one-way, spool and diff.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:06 PM   #915
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Hey Fellas...I'd like try out using Xray T2 34T pulley for the S400 rear diff, and then another Xray T2 pulley for the front to have the same teeth front and rear. Maybe I can also use a Tamiya 34T pulley for the front spool...the reason for the T2 diff pullkey in the rear is the dust coverings it has to extend diff life...and less maintance...but I'm not sure if it can actually work w/ the S400 outdrives/diff....same for the front, will the Xray T2 34t Pulley work in the S400 spool? Any suggestions?

By the way...serpent website is featuring some new Ti goodies for the S400...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote