Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #2686
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds400 View Post
Hey guys,
I need you help for my new s400 setup. I run in stock with a 540 silvercan Johnson motor 18000 rpm +. Do you have a basic setup that I can work my way from?
I have a diff rear and a spool in front, but do you recon a geardiff would be better at rear and diff in front or the gear diff wont work properly as I race a slow rpm motor?
I had a look on the setup available on the serpent website and all guys r running 1deg fron toe and 1.5 rear is it what work best for car or is it a personal choice?

Cheers
Wait for you reply.
Go serpent
Hi ds400, the best basic setup will be d setup that come with S400 manual. if you feel your car is understeer, u can play around with the front and rear spring 1st. By changing the orange spring to the rear and yellow spring to the front, this will make your car feel better.

As for a slow turn motor, i recommend you to use ball diff which is sufficient enough for your car instead of gear diff. More front toe in front will make your car has better entry steering and quicker steering in small corners. while the 1.5rear toe will make your rear less grip thus making u car has more mid and exit corner steering but it's all down to your own preference.

anyway, if you got any question, just shoot it here...cheers!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #2687
Tech Adept

Default S400

Camber sir?
So you recon a gear diff wont work or will slow the car, I have already ordered it.. and what oil do you recon in the gear diff... can I ask?
How much front toe you recon?

Thanks

Didier
New Zealand
ds400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #2688
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Didier,

In my personal experience the Gear Diff is the best solution for most circumstances. You may want to build the diff with 2 gears instead of 4, and run roughly 5k to 7k fluid in it. Running two gears lightens the diff to about the same weight as a ball diff ( so I am told)
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #2689
Tech Adept

Default Gear diff

Thanks,
another question, how can I get more flex in the chassis?
And what r really the advantages of the gear diff compared to the ball diff?
And for a low grip track for now I am running a ball at rear and a spool in front, but you recon the gear [rear] and ball in front will be better?
Thanks for help

Didier
New Zealand
Old 01-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #2690
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

Quote:
Thanks,
And for a low grip track for now I am running a ball at rear and a spool in front, but you recon the gear [rear] and ball in front will be better?
Thanks for help

Didier
New Zealand
more flex? cut off the middle of the Top Deck might can help u...i'm running ball diff at rear and spool in front...I wanted to try the Gear Diff but my place don't have stock for it.

i heard that running ball diff in front make d car slow response..i'm not so sure bout this..
Old 01-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #2691
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks,
Thanks for help

Didier
New Zealand

More flex: put some rubber o-rings between the screws and topdeck, that helps. If needed, use longer screws and do not overtight.
And file the ends of the topdeck where it touches the bulkheads in the front and rear. Just be carefull with the filing, a half a mm is enough on both sides.
Just to create a little clearance.

I'd put the spool in front and the ball or gear at the rear. Just like it should be.

Th gear diff doesn't slip at all, so all the diff action will be put on the asphalt (or whatever surface). So 100% diff action.
Ball diff might slip a little under heavy load, but your out of corner speed is better than gear (my experience).

Just play a little with those two diffs, it takes 3 minutes to switch between these.
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:18 AM   #2692
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Spool front, diff rear, I only run the ball diff when it is REALLY low traction, the car seems to be a little bit more stable ( IMHO ). As for the flex, remove the lower "T" screw in the chassis, and as others have said, cut the topdeck middle brace, and trim the deck a .5mm on the ends to give it some room...

I believe the topdeck mods are good for any rubber tire racing.

Quote:
Thanks,
Thanks for help

Didier
New Zealand
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #2693
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does anyone in the US know were to get an S400. I have checked every online store I can think of and nothing. I can find parts but not the car. Is Serpent still making the car?
Mr Granone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #2694
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Granone View Post
Does anyone in the US know were to get an S400. I have checked every online store I can think of and nothing. I can find parts but not the car. Is Serpent still making the car?
Mr Granone, serpent had change ownership i think they are not releasing cars any more they will come up with the s500. if you want s400 your alternative is the tamiya 415 basically same car even parts you can use from the tamiya sometimes its more durable. good luck
Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #2695
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixC View Post
Mr Granone, serpent had change ownership i think they are not releasing cars any more they will come up with the s500. if you want s400 your alternative is the tamiya 415 basically same car even parts you can use from the tamiya sometimes its more durable. good luck
Sorry my friend, but I don't think that's accurate. Serpent is still supporting the S400 kits and parts. They are of course working on making it even better as all companies do, and will eventually release an updated version like most companies do. It's part of R&D, and Serpent is contantly looking for ways to make their products even better, and their S400 project is no different.

Check with MMR. They have S400 kits and parts in stock. I'm sure there's many more as well.

"Release the Kraken"

Last edited by yyhayyim; 01-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #2696
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

MMR is http://www.molzermoweryracing.com/

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #2697
Tech Adept

Default S400

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixC View Post
Sorry mate thats bullshit,
we serpent drivers in N.Z had trouble getting parts from our local shop as all orders to serpent were going on back order... but since serpent moved to asia its way faster to get new kits,spare & options parts. Our local hobby shop placed an order last week for serpent bits & pieces... and the order is already on its way....

The serpent S400 is an awesome car to drive out of the box. I kept the same book setup , just changed the shock oil to thinner and I am already doing my best laps...

The S400 has still many years of racing to come and the more option parts are under testing & development.

http://www.serpent.com/news/
for updated news...

http://www.serpent.com/distributors/
for distributors...

Go Serpent!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Didier
N.N
Old 01-11-2009, 03:30 AM   #2698
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

anyone has the Vesa Design 1 piece top deck for sell??? interested buyers here...
fly_wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #2699
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I checked MMR and it does seem they have them. However they are $800 per the online store. WTF $800? That would be the most expensive RC TC on the planet to date. I can order one from EU cheaper then that even if I pay VAT. Anyone know a source in the US that is not out of their minds?
Mr Granone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #2700
Tech Apprentice

Default s400

Try serpent australia, think they have kits, exchange rate works for you guys in US as well. They had a big sale last week, 30-70 % off, sale is over but the list of available stuff is still on the site.

i heard the next serpent car is S401, lipo ready and improved chassis flex, improved/updated version of S400, dont take that as gospel though...hope its true.

cheers

Last edited by Shagnasties; 01-11-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Shagnasties is offline   Reply With Quote