Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400 >

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Reply

Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 AM
  #2431  
Tech Regular
 
scoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 465
Default

You are right - it changes the internal ratio to 1.94. It makes the car carry more corner speed and just plain feels quicker accelerating. Don't ask me the science of it all but it works.
scoyle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM
  #2432  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

i think the cost to change internal ratio to 1.94 is around usd 14.40 + 9.60+9.60 +9.80 = usd43.40

do it's really make different to the speed ?

some said lighten the car will carry more speed in corner but i dont see much different between abit heavy car and lighten car during race.. i do see a car with 1600g race with 1500g car and d end still 1600g car win...

correct me if i'm wrong......
kschu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:45 AM
  #2433  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
CanyonCarverR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,340
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

How is that different from changing pinion/spur? Aren't you just changing the final drive ratio?
CanyonCarverR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 AM
  #2434  
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

I just finished the pre-season preparations of my S400, installed some new stuff and got it thoroughly cleaned.. I also modified the camber links, since i've never liked that the ball cups often comes off when adjusting camber/toe or in small crasches..
I drilled out the allen head with a 3 mm drill, then i ran a M3 tap through the old hole out of the other end to make sure a screw could pass all the way through.
Here's the finished result, the camberlinks are now VERY secure and there's more than enough movement.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400-dsc03230.jpg   Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400-dsc03231.jpg  
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 AM
  #2435  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
TeamButter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,802
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys,

I have been running the 1.944444444 (LOL) ratio for several months now. I happen to use the 3racing pulley set which comes with a 16,17 and 18 tooth. I had some custom belts made for the car so I can't comment on what existing belts to use.

Canyon-Changing the internal ratio allows you to have a different spectrum of gearing options. Using a taller 1.944 you don't have to run a 60 tooth pinion with a brushless motor in order to reach your desired gearing.

Some argue the car will accelerate out of corners with a lower internal, but I find the difference to be negligable. The math says a lower gear comes out of the corners faster, but you will hear conflicting reports.

Overdrive is a term used to indicate that the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear. With your front wheels spinning faster than your rear wheels, the car will seemingly have more steering.
TeamButter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM
  #2436  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 30
Default serpent hop up part

Hi Guys, if this is of any interest to you a Lipo top deck for the S400 enables you to fit 5000 mahr lipo batteries but also better cornering speed and less tire wear, full details can be found at www.tfracing.co.uk, a hop up that really works.
tfracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:10 PM
  #2437  
Tech Elite
 
UK.hardcore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Belgium.
Posts: 2,142
Default

If you gear a 17.5T 4.0/1 versus 3.5/1 for example in theorie it will pull more amps at 3.5/1 thus make more power thus the car should excellerate quicker.
UK.hardcore is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:31 PM
  #2438  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
CanyonCarverR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,340
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I see alot of people using Tamiya shocks, is there a problem with the Serpent shocks?
CanyonCarverR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:40 PM
  #2439  
Tech Master
iTrader: (13)
 
CanyonCarverR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,340
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I looked on the 3Racing site and didn't see a pulley set for the S400, so you happen to have a part number or a site that carries it?
As far as the internal ratio is concerned, I agree that it offers a different spectrum of gearing options. However, I don't buy the idea that it will accelerate better, that is a function of the internal ratio and the pinion/spur combination (final drive ratio = FDR). A 5:1FDR is a 5:1FDR no matter what the internal ratio is.

Originally Posted by TeamButter View Post
Hey guys,

I have been running the 1.944444444 (LOL) ratio for several months now. I happen to use the 3racing pulley set which comes with a 16,17 and 18 tooth. I had some custom belts made for the car so I can't comment on what existing belts to use.

Canyon-Changing the internal ratio allows you to have a different spectrum of gearing options. Using a taller 1.944 you don't have to run a 60 tooth pinion with a brushless motor in order to reach your desired gearing.

Some argue the car will accelerate out of corners with a lower internal, but I find the difference to be negligable. The math says a lower gear comes out of the corners faster, but you will hear conflicting reports.

Overdrive is a term used to indicate that the front wheels are spinning faster than the rear. With your front wheels spinning faster than your rear wheels, the car will seemingly have more steering.
CanyonCarverR1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  #2440  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,180
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
I see alot of people using Tamiya shocks, is there a problem with the Serpent shocks?
because easy setup !
RC MARKET is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
  #2441  
Tech Fanatic
 
Tommy Bergfeldt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 979
Default

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
I see alot of people using Tamiya shocks, is there a problem with the Serpent shocks?
My experience is very good with the stock RCC-shocks, especially on the 720. Although on the S400 i think the dual o-rings gives too much stiction when running light oil and many holes. You can buy or make some spacers to replace one of the o-rings in each shock, but since i didn't have the patience to machine spacers i got the TRF's for 40 bucks instead...
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
  #2442  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
TeamButter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,802
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1 View Post
I looked on the 3Racing site and didn't see a pulley set for the S400, so you happen to have a part number or a site that carries it?
As far as the internal ratio is concerned, I agree that it offers a different spectrum of gearing options. However, I don't buy the idea that it will accelerate better, that is a function of the internal ratio and the pinion/spur combination (final drive ratio = FDR). A 5:1FDR is a 5:1FDR no matter what the internal ratio is.
Sorry I should have clarified. The pulley set is actually for the hotbodies car. It just happens to work on our car as well. Part number is CY-17/PU
This guy has them in stock... http://stores.ebay.com/hkshobby
TeamButter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 PM
  #2443  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (18)
 
ckoetsch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 384
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Which car is better tc5 or t2 008?
ckoetsch is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
  #2444  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (16)
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by ckoetsch View Post
Which car is better tc5 or t2 008?
serpent s400 is d best.....

my self using tamiya shock too because of it's easy maintenance......
kschu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
  #2445  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (12)
 
tallyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: palm city, fl
Posts: 2,594
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

sparx, nice setup.. would the xray ones just fit instead since they are already drilled and tapped? or maybe the losis?
tallyrc is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service