R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #1741
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
hi guys, any1 using foam tyre in asphalt surface ?? can i use 26mm infront and 30mm for rear ??? i'm planning to use it for practising so tat i can save some rubber tyre for race.....will foam tyre more grip than rubber tyre ??? wat is d reconmended tyre treament for foam tyrE?

thanks
I've never tried foam on asphalt, but I would think you'd need a completely different setup for them, because if setup right they should have a ton more traction..
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #1742
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
hi guys, any1 using foam tyre in asphalt surface ?? can i use 26mm infront and 30mm for rear ??? i'm planning to use it for practising so tat i can save some rubber tyre for race.....will foam tyre more grip than rubber tyre ??? wat is d reconmended tyre treament for foam tyrE?

thanks
I have been told since my first race that I should practice EXACTLY what I plan to race. No 'practice' battery packs, no 'practice' bodies, etc.

The HobbyTown USA Parking Lot Series in Minnetonka, MN starts May 7th. I plan to run my S400 on the asphalt using Nitro Shoes and/or carpet foams. We'll see how it runs...
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #1743
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline Racing View Post
I have been told since my first race that I should practice EXACTLY what I plan to race. No 'practice' battery packs, no 'practice' bodies, etc.

The HobbyTown USA Parking Lot Series in Minnetonka, MN starts May 7th. I plan to run my S400 on the asphalt using Nitro Shoes and/or carpet foams. We'll see how it runs...
well, all d while im using rubber for practise but i found out it's very costly if jus for practising...i can finish 1 set new sorex rubber tyre in 1 day...it's cost me around usd35/set...if foam tyre r good then it's can save me around usd15/set...

why don't u try GRP foam tyre ?? they r very well known foam tyre....
Old 04-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #1744
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to fatboy

can anyone advise where can i get the front oneway from.

Thanks.
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #1745
Tech Prophet

If I need to conserve tires I'll just start off on a new set in the last qualifier and run them in the main, then use them the following weekend for practice and the first qualifier. I rarely run more than 1-2 packs of practice on a club race day though, so they don't get too worn out.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 AM   #1746
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

nitro shoes are awsome on the pavement, but if you are racing on rubber you should practice on rubber. the car setup will be off and the driving characteristics will be much different from foam to rubber.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 AM   #1747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline Racing View Post

Use nitro shoes, 30mm rear/26mm fronts- 37 shore all around. Use 2.5 deg camber all around.

The only thing is that when you switch to rubber tires you have to change the set up on the car, plus get used to driving rubber tires
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #1748
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Allan after that awsome stock sedan win last weekend, looks like the monkey is off your back ...... may need new shirts

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #1749
Tech Elite

Had a realy good time last night at the high traction outdoor asphalt MDI track in Royal Palm Beach, FL. Weather coulndt have been better. About 75F, with nice cool breeze. Track was pretty clean and traction was good as always.

I wanted to test a couple things on the S400 and I went ahead and started with using the #2 holes on the steering arms, changing ackerman from the stock position. I also, tried the outside holes on the sway bar mounting positions and also tried different spring combos.

THe kit 50cst oil, with 3 hole pistons, keeps the car from rolling too much, keeping the car flatter and a bit more reactive.

The first run, the car had understeer into corners and overall steering was diminished. After about 10 laps, I stopped the car and changed back to the stock #1 hole on the steering knuckles and this made the car steer mode agressive and gave the better overall steering I was looking for. Now I know what each one does

Next, I was using the 4mm droop all around on the blocks, now went to 5 all around to see if the car becomes a bit more reactive, but not unsettled over small bumps...

The car felt much better on the 2nd run, with the 5mm droop all around. It did become a bit more reactive, and did not become unsettled over the successive small bumps. Car seemed to have a bit more corner speed as well, with better corner exit as well.

Next, removed the the yellow Serpent springs on the front and rear, and went to Serpent white springs all around. The car now had more over all steering and was even more agressive in and out of turns, on and off power. Sections where you previously had to let off a bit and then get back on throttle, could now be taken at full throttle since car would just turn in so sharply and not loose the rear. Which the extra steering and over all traction gain, now the car was generating so much traction, that after the 3rd run, the tires had chunks of rubber ripping off down the middle of the tire Never seen that before

Switched to Take OFF CS27 tires- raised inner front camber link from the stock 1mm to 3mm(Upon Butter's suggestion), and moved the front shocks 1 hole out, so that now the shocks are in 2nd hole (from the outside). Used 1 deg front camber instead of 1.5 deg I had before.

Now the car had even more traction and front end steering than before! Holy foreskins!! THe car was just nasty grippin' and had an "all out attack the corners feel" to it. Now it was even easier to get on throttle earlier and for longer and not even let off in higher speed areas. Talk about an angry Snake. It was possesed

Thanks to BUtter and Tim Potter for their tips and suggestions. Its so nice to have really good drivers like them at the track- they love to answer questions and give you advice as if it was for their own cars...they really want to see others succeed and it shows. Huge asset for Serpent and big reason why more and more people are running the S400.

I finally have a car that seems to have endless levels of steering, reactiveness, and aggressiveness- with just a few changes, the car was so reactive and agressive that even "reactive/steering" hungry Butter felt it was too much and we had to actually dial out some steering on EXP and DR Radio settings...never had to do this before...with other cars it was always the opposite.

Next I plan to take the car to our med traction Coral Springs track and see how it behaves there with the same set-up. Should be fun
Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #1750
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Thanks for that great report Yohan, it sounds like you got the feeling from your S400 that everyone's looking for in their Touring Car. I also agree with your comment about all the help that the top guys are giving to us all on this thread, Thanks to Butter, Randy, Tim and all the rest.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #1751
Tech Prophet

Good post, I seriously want to come out to that track some day, sounds pretty insane with all that traction.

What body are you guys running there?
Old 04-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #1752
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
Good post, I seriously want to come out to that track some day, sounds pretty insane with all that traction.

Its a track you'll never forget! You gotta get down here and experience it for yourselfMost are running Mazda 6 or Speed6.

The Mazda 6 seems to be best body for my S400 so far on our tracks down here with low/med to high traction
Old 04-24-2008, 11:57 AM   #1753
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Randy, anytime you want to come down and run on the track... I am sure you can crash with Butter, or for that matter, I have a spare room...

We have a Reedy Style race in July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post

Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #1754
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

BTW, Johan, you car looked awesome by the end of the night... I was trying something different too... Car was ok.... but still have few more things to try before giving up..
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #1755
Tech Adept

Serpent is developing some new parts for the S400. I've made some pictures, here's the link: http://rctouring.eu/serpent_s400_prototype.htm .
Greetings Victor