R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-18-2008, 12:50 PM   #1696
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

It's not much of a difference though, and I doubt anyone here would be able to feel that difference between 1.94 and 1.88, and it's an easy swap since you don't have to figure out how to make pulleys fit..
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #1697
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
It's not much of a difference though, and I doubt anyone here would be able to feel that difference between 1.94 and 1.88, and it's an easy swap since you don't have to figure out how to make pulleys fit..
Good points Randy. Only thing is that while I wait for the Gear diffs to show up at Serpent USA, I'll be running the rear ball diff. It can get dirty running on outdoor asphalt like we do here at our local track. Dont know how long it will be till the gear diffs come in...it could a week, two, three..who knows. By that time i'll have anough runs on S400 to warrant cleaning out the diff a few times. The cleaning out could be avoided by either using the Xray Pulleys which seal the diff and keep 99.9% of the dust out, or use the Jaad diff covers or make my own diff cover from some kind of paper or stickers.

I'm just trying to get a short cut and see if anyone had already gotten around to trying out the Xray diff pulleys so that I don't have to run to the hobby shop and try one out myself

I might just make those JAAD type diff covers myself from some sticker sheets I have lying around.

Last edited by yyhayyim; 04-18-2008 at 03:32 PM.
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #1698
Tech Elite

the aluminun top deck holder: http://www.serpent.com/product/401012/

I think this can modified a bit to allow more flex for outdoor asphalt racing w/ low-med traction layouts.

Maybe if the whole base is cut off, and leave just the top portion so that the top deck has a place to link to the middle bulk-heads. The hole vertical post section of the t-shaped top deck holder can be cut and just leave the top section which will act like a horizontal brace which allows the top deck to still be able to be held in w/ screws.

Why? I just dont see why this piece is needed in the first place. the Bulk heads can easily be made like most other TC's which dont require this t-shape aluminum top deck holding piece, which seems to make the car much stiffer.

Anyone try this, yet? Does it make sense or not? 4 eyes are better than 2
Old 04-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #1699
Tech Initiate

Hey Serpent drivers. I have a question: what's the the oil wt that comes with the kit? I've misplaced my bottle and dont remember what cst or wt oil it comes with

anyone know for sure?

thx

Rob
RCLocos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #1700
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Johan, I have diff cover stickers I have cut out of black vinyl. Remind me and I will bring some to the track next time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
Good points Randy. Only thing is that while I wait for the Gear diffs to show up at Serpent USA, I'll be running the rear ball diff. It can get dirty running on outdoor asphalt like we do here at our local track. Dont know how long it will be till the gear diffs come in...it could a week, two, three..who knows. By that time i'll have anough runs on S400 to warrant cleaning out the diff a few times. The cleaning out could be avoided by either using the Xray Pulleys which seal the diff and keep 99.9% of the dust out, or use the Jaad diff covers or make my own diff cover from some kind of paper or stickers.

I'm just trying to get a short cut and see if anyone had already gotten around to trying out the Xray diff pulleys so that I don't have to run to the hobby shop and try one out myself

I might just make those JAAD type diff covers myself from some sticker sheets I have lying around.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #1701
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
hmmm I dont see 18T pulleys on Serpent website? You have the PN
Old 04-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #1702
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Johan, try taking the screw out of the chassis for the t holder... If you must.. maybe take two mil off of it... then you can put a 2mil shim back in there and "stiffen" it up...

Quote:

I think this can modified a bit to allow more flex for outdoor asphalt racing w/ low-med traction layouts.

Maybe if the whole base is cut off, and leave just the top portion so that the top deck has a place to link to the middle bulk-heads. The hole vertical post section of the t-shaped top deck holder can be cut and just leave the top section which will act like a horizontal brace which allows the top deck to still be able to be held in w/ screws.

Why? I just dont see why this piece is needed in the first place. the Bulk heads can easily be made like most other TC's which dont require this t-shape aluminum top deck holding piece, which seems to make the car much stiffer.

Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost

Last edited by TimPotter; 04-18-2008 at 04:08 PM.
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 PM   #1703
Tech Initiate

Quote:

I got an xtra top deck holder piece and will get hacking. It makes sense. No other cars seem to have this piece in the middle like that.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #1704
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Johan, I have diff cover stickers I have cut out of black vinyl. Remind me and I will bring some to the track next time out.
Thanks Tim. I'll be there this coming Wed night
Old 04-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #1705
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Johan, try taking the screw out of the chassis for the t holder... If you must.. maybe take two mil off of it... then you can put a 2mil shim back in there and "stiffen" it up...
now where talking....the 2mm will allow anough flex as it it the vertical post section wasnt there in the first place, yet the shim gets it back to the stiff position if needed.

Good luck in Daytona---lock it down for Serpent
Old 04-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #1706

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to pc9840 Send a message via AIM to pc9840 Send a message via Yahoo to pc9840

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLocos View Post
Hey Serpent drivers. I have a question: what's the the oil wt that comes with the kit? I've misplaced my bottle and dont remember what cst or wt oil it comes with

anyone know for sure?

thx

Rob
50wt oil
Old 04-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #1707
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Matisyahu- I am running an 18 tooth center pulley with the stock Serpent drive pulleys. (35 tooth) The 1.94 ratio works great...Just ask Felix
Old 04-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #1708
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc9840 View Post
50wt oil
No, it's false !

it's 500cst and not 50wt !
Old 04-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #1709
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLocos View Post
hmmm I dont see 18T pulleys on Serpent website? You have the PN
They are a Hot Bodies part made for the Cyclone.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM   #1710
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamButter View Post
Matisyahu- I am running an 18 tooth center pulley with the stock Serpent drive pulleys. (35 tooth) The 1.94 ratio works great...Just ask Felix
Are the stock belts long enough to fit?