R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The BL speedos have to be that big. They are 3 speedos in one box.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #32
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes as the BL motors are three-phase they need x3 the number of power-FET. Also a BL ESC gets way hotter than an ESC for brushed motors as it┤s switching all the time even at full throttle. For this reason a BL ESC can┤t be as small as a brushed one.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:37 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak
I don't anybody that has willingly switched back to brushed after running brushless more then 5 minutes. What is there to debate? Better, better, and more better. Mixing the 13.5 with 27T is going to be a touchy subject until the stock guys finally let go and just get on with it.

Try it and you won't go back.

after i went brushless.. i never went back. at least not willingly.. and then when i went lipo.. the whole brushed/nimh game was over for me.. i only need my charger.. and lipo and car and tools.. no friggin discharge trays.. only a single pack not ten.. its wonderful
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #34
Tech Master

Brushless only have an advantage over brushed because of the fact that they can use rare earth magnets. If brushed were allowed them it would be a whole different game.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Brushless only have an advantage over brushed because of the fact that they can use rare earth magnets. If brushed were allowed them it would be a whole different game.
Allowed? Allowed? Man, why dont you pull your head out of the sand. Maybe you are one of those people that have to be led to new technology kicking and screaming. Do you still believe the earth is flat? Change is inevitable. Even if brushed motors could successfully run with rare earth magnets, read this and read it right.....THE MAINTENNANCE WOULD MAKE IT NOT WORTH THE TIME!!!!!!!!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS II
I live 15 miles north of Horizon Hobby/ Great Planes/Hobbico and there is virtually no racing! Don
Isn't Glitcher's a nice place to race in Mahomet?
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #37
Tech Regular

For some reason they think racing is going fast and turning left! All my cars turn both directions!!! I have heard just recently that there may be a track near Tilton and that someone may be building a track near Monticello. On another note, I have played with an AFI 05 4t. It has 10 samarium cobalt magnets, a 7 pole skewed arm, and a properly sized commutator & brushes. It runs very good, but because of ROAR regs it isn't legal to race. But I do agree that brushless is the way to go. I have several and I'm looking forward to getting some more- to many cars! Don

Last edited by DLS II; 05-26-2007 at 07:00 PM.
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #38
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
Yes as the BL motors are three-phase they need x3 the number of power-FET. Also a BL ESC gets way hotter than an ESC for brushed motors as it┤s switching all the time even at full throttle. For this reason a BL ESC can┤t be as small as a brushed one.
could they not make a Forward BL only speedo? would that make them any smaller?
myk505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:32 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

ive read somewhere that the reverse part of a BL esc is included for free, because of the software even if the reverse part would be removed, the 3 sets of fets or whatever it is thats inside a BL esc is still needed, thus the larger case size
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:31 AM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Allowed? Allowed? Man, why dont you pull your head out of the sand. Maybe you are one of those people that have to be led to new technology kicking and screaming. Do you still believe the earth is flat? Change is inevitable. Even if brushed motors could successfully run with rare earth magnets, read this and read it right.....THE MAINTENNANCE WOULD MAKE IT NOT WORTH THE TIME!!!!!!!!
Chill out man i'm only making a statement that is absolutely true. People say brushed is less efficient blah blah blah but the truth is that a brushed motor with rare earth magnets would be just as efficient and would require a lot less maintenance than actual motors, while being as quick if not quicker than the actual brushless.

As for your assumptions, maybe you shouldn't make that kind of assumptions, as i am running a brushless. However I think the actual quality of the brushless systems is rather poor and also you can't run the sensored systems in the rain because the humidity messes the Hall sensors readings and I would like to have the option of running a brushed and be competitive.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:56 AM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35
I tried it and did not like the feel of it and went back to Brushed. We had a 4300 BL series in offroad here and I bought all the necessary epuipment, but just did not like the feel of it.
You are right... on low grip or tight tracks the lack of linerity in the brushless makes it very difficult to be as fast as brushed. Cars still drive better with the brushed but every new generation of speedo will improve on that.
Quote:
Plus I can't use it at IIC for stock, so why bother.
Add up the $$$ you spend on motor maintenence and you will figure it out. They are not legal here in oz under our governing body either, yet almost everyone has one anyway.. why? double the tracktime at clubbies or practice days.
Quote:
When it becomes the norm along with Lipo, I will then go to it.
It basically is already, just not at all big comps. Hope lipo does not come in anytime soon. Consider that at any track there are plenty of tools who mistreat their gear (ie batts) what would happen if you gave them exploding packs? The safety aspects on these cells needs to be improved so they are vegie proof. Once lipo's start to go, there is no stopping them....
Quote:
If you are just getting into the hobby and have run nothing but BL from the beginning, then you will naturally like it. I would also like it better if they could get the speedo down to about the size of a GTX. The GTB is just freakin huge!!
Go and checkout some phtotos from 10yrs ago. You will see some genuine huge speedos! This is new tech and if you want it affordable then it will be this big until it improves. The reality is brushless is 9/10 times better than brushed and you are holding yourself back by clutching onto your old skool gear.
Get yourself a LRP based speedo (LRP/NOSRAM/SPEEDPASSION). They have throttle profiles that help adjust the feel of the motors... quite a nice little feature.