R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2007, 03:18 PM   #106
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus jd 2703
im in the market for a pt, im curious can mrt sell me to pt with the same number? just that way i only have to remember one number.
also am i reading this right, these new pt's have 10 different numbers available in case some one at the meet has the same number?
cheers looks like a killer product hope it breaks ambs strangle hold
Hi aus, if you have a basic PTX you will just have the 'set' of 10 numbers. If you have a custom PTX you will have 10 plus the extra custom number(s). With the extra numbers you could have two (or more) custom PTX's made the same like you are asking.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 PM   #107
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreakUK
Terry,

I definately want to get hold of one of these as soon as they are released. Should I send you my PT to be cloned now, so that part of the process is already done on release or am I better to wait.

Also are you still making the I-Pt and is there any advantage to having this one over the new "stealth"

Many thanks
Andy
Hi Andy, we're still making i-PT's. The i-PT is a clone transponder made from an original PT, it's a custom built personal transponder with a name and ID number inside the case so it's easy to identify. Club versions can also be easily identified because they have the clubs name shown, it's moulded inside the translucent case so it can't be removed. The i-PT being individually 'custom' made could be an advantage, the fact you must have an AMB PT first (to be cloned from) is the disadvantage! The PTX is smaller and weighs less and will cost less but has a standard design, the advantage of the PTX is anyone can have one, also the i-PT does not have case tabs but the PTX can if required.. it's your decision which you choose, i-PT or PTX.

We're not doing cloning for PTX's just yet, we'll be doing this later. For the people who have had their ID's cloned for i-PT's they have had the process already done so they could have custom PTX(s) made the same as they are able to re-order cloned i-PT's on the same ID now.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM   #108
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Can't wait!

Great! A low cost alternative... Glad to hear it.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #109
Tech Fanatic

Regarding the numbers, as with the older AMB20 system there are 10 numbers (or 20 as in the '20' in the name) with this system everyone is on the same 10 numbers but not in the same race of course! This is the same with the basic PTX, there are the same 10 numbers as a standard 'set' of numbers 1 to 10. With the custom PTX there are the 10 numbers plus the extra number(s) so it means you can still have a number different to other people.

Hi Hebiki, they're not available for a few weeks.. watch out for news of the release date!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:01 PM   #110
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy
Great! A low cost alternative... Glad to hear it.
Thanks mrrcguy!!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

...TerryS,

Here is the ONLY problem I see w/ the new units and having them have the same numbers.

Currently if a guy has a transponder that is NOT in the system...It won't count him and will give you a message letting you know a unused # has come across the loop.

However, with the new units it could (not very likely...for at least a while) but it COULD cause an issue of 2 cars being on the same # , and it doesn't get caught, and the wrong racer gets scored, or possible 'double lap' counting.

A club like mine probably wouldn't have an issue since we require drivers to check in to verify their transponder hits, and is the right one...however, I could see a possible issue.

I'm still eager to try one of these when available
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #112
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tire Chunker
I will pass on this type of product--sounds like another issue that will leave us standing around waiting for a race to start, as a guy changes his number that is in conflict after we all check-in and then wait again as he changes his number, which now conflicts to yet another racers number.............................I also bet the race directors will love this product and all of the BS that will go with it. I dont like $95 for a Amb but I bought them so I didnt have to deal with having a loaner, grabing the wrong color looking for the transponder that other racer still has in his car..........now we will always be dealing with straighting out number conflicts.

I know rip me now.

if you do the maths, amount of random 7 number combinations starting from 0000000 to 9999999, there are 280million combinations available.

the chances of conflict where there are only 50 racers is going to be [50/280,000,000] = 0.00000017700666

That is even assuming all the 280,000,000 numbers are in play.

provided the number that are generated by terry are truley random, then the chances of a conflict will be next to zero, if u do get a conflict then go buy a lotto ticket.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #113
Tech Adept

how much is the i-pt ? there is no purchase info on your website. and about how long is turn around with orders from the usa ? and one last question, once we send you a pt and you get the number from it, if in the future we need more pt's from you, are we considered already on file and you can just send out more, or do we need to send you the pt again ?

Last edited by briano_72; 06-04-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added question
briano_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #114
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymBeam
if you do the maths, amount of random 7 number combinations starting from 0000000 to 9999999, there are 280million combinations available.

the chances of conflict where there are only 50 racers is going to be [50/280,000,000] = 0.00000017700666

That is even assuming all the 280,000,000 numbers are in play.

provided the number that are generated by terry are truley random, then the chances of a conflict will be next to zero, if u do get a conflict then go buy a lotto ticket.
On the new PTX's, the numbers are not random it is the same 10 numbers (plus a clone number if you so desire) ..user selectable, however the same 10 numbers ...at least that is my understanding of the new PTX.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:45 AM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by briano_72 View Post
how much is the i-pt ? there is no purchase info on your website. and about how long is turn around with orders from the usa ? and one last question, once we send you a pt and you get the number from it, if in the future we need more pt's from you, are we considered already on file and you can just send out more, or do we need to send you the pt again ?
Hi briano_72, the standard blue i-PT is $79. The info is on our website, about 2/3 down the page is the i-PT with a link for more info at www.rclaps.com you will find the prices and details on the order form. The turn around for the i-PT is about 10 days with us plus the shipping time back to you. Once we have your number on file if you need more PT's we can just send them out, we don't need you to send us your original PT again.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 AM   #116
Tech Fanatic

HarshGuy is right the basic 10 numbers are the same not random, there can be one (or more) cloned numbers and the numbers are user selectable. Because of the 'custom' options a PTX can be unique with a unique 'one only selection' of numbers, the cloned numbers could be a random 'set' plus the basic set of numbers. There are options available with a single number 'cloned handout' version for clubs, a basic 10 number version plus custom versions with cloned numbers. Having the cloned number option available means you can have the same ID number for all your cars if you want.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:28 AM   #117
Tech Adept

so with shipping and me wanting my original pt returned, its 92 dollars. how is that "about 1/2 price" as you have been saying all threw this thread ??
briano_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:06 AM   #118
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Terry quoted you a price for an i-PT. The PTX (not out as of yet) is what he has been expecting to be half price when it comes out. Even if it were $92 it would be worth it IMHO as the AMB provides no way of fixing a frayed lead and doesn't offer a clone if you want to run the same # for all your cars. Hope taht clears it up for ya.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #119
Tech Fanatic

As Andrew has said the i-PT and PTX are both different, the PTX is new and is not available to buy yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briano_72 View Post
so with shipping and me wanting my original pt returned, its 92 dollars. how is that "about 1/2 price" as you have been saying all threw this thread ??
Re the i-PT pricing it's $88 ($79 + $9 shipping) and $12 shipping is if you want your AMB PT returned early.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Terry,

Can i send in my AMB PTs in just to get you to scan them and then returned. with the expectation when the PTXs are available to have the numbers cloned into the PTX? also what would be the turn around for just the scanning. I am trying to find the best time to send them(4) in.

thanks

Team Tamale | Team Tekin | RCAmerica | Speedmerchant | Speedzone RC | EA Motorsports | Ko Propo USA | eXpress Motorsports | Parma/PSE
theisgroup is offline   Reply With Quote