Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting into Electric...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting into Electric...

I've been into R/C for 2 &1/2 years now and have always been the Nitro favored Hobbiest but I want to start getting into the electric form factor of the Hobby and race electric touring car at my local tracks.

So I have a budget of $400 USD that i plan to spend and I am here to ask all of you electric vets how I can get all I need to get up and running with a electric touring car of my own for my $400 budget. So can you guys help me out or what? Also I would appreciate it if you guys could give me an idea of what would be needed to maintain my touring car. ( batteries,charger,electric stuff I don't know about yet etc...)

In advance thx Guys
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vault
I've been into R/C for 2 &1/2 years now and have always been the Nitro favored Hobbiest but I want to start getting into the electric form factor of the Hobby and race electric touring car at my local tracks.

So I have a budget of $400 USD that i plan to spend and I am here to ask all of you electric vets how I can get all I need to get up and running with a electric touring car of my own for my $400 budget. So can you guys help me out or what? Also I would appreciate it if you guys could give me an idea of what would be needed to maintain my touring car. ( batteries,charger,electric stuff I don't know about yet etc...)

In advance thx Guys
Hi, My quick short answer is to say that $400 won't go very far if you buy all new. Look in the used/sale threads for the big ticket items like car, motor and charger (you prolly have a radio). You may want to pick up new batteries though because they do degrade over time making them suspect to buy em used. If you insist on a brand new ride then look into Tamiya TA05R, HPI Cyclone S or Associated FTC4. These would set you back by about $200
Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Cyclone S RTR!.......... Nice painted body too!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

If your local track allows Lipo and or brushless that may save you some money. 400 won't go very far though. You can probably pick up some great used equipment.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Our local track offers a starter package that is under $400, check your local track, they may be able to put something together for you. In reality $400 is what I spent on my chassis alone, to try and by all new equipment and still be competitive a $400 budget will not be enough. Like others have said you can go the used way, I am also a budget racer, I bought a peice here and there, over the last 5 months. I would suggest doing that, you wont be on the track by this weekend, but you will have better, more reliable equipment in the long run.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Regular

you could start up a 12th scale package for about 400
Old 05-22-2007, 01:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I think $400 is enough for a competitive package if bought used. You often see good cars like team losi JRX-S's go for around 150, A GTX or GT7 around 80, motor depending of if u are running stock or 19t or mod - 50, a servo for around 30, that leaves u around 90 for controller/ reciever (such as a futaba 2PL). But i have forgot about batts and chargers.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

definately look into used equipment, a roller in decent condition would set u back about 150-200 for mid to high class chassis, after all the chassis is one of the most important factors in a car, getting a good one to start with would help suppress the urge to upgrade for a little while.. :P Some good ones would be the cyclone, T2 (T2 007 would probably be too expensive for u), TC 4, JXRS, Corrally RDX.. those would probably fit ur budget if u're getting them used, be sure to demand pictures to check the condition of it.. i've seen a few corrally Rdxs go for cheap in the selling forum here, go check it out. I'm building a new car too... so far i'm a little over 400.. but its a good car.. make sure to look around before u buy.. good luck!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Well all I can say at the moment is thanks guys i have taken alot of the suggestions here and have been looking into my budget i have a charger from dynamite but i'm not really shure if that will be alright for electric since i went and talked to some of my clubs electric tourers and they say they use some high quality stuff

CHASIS : with looking into it and planning on spending $150-200 on my chasis & getting it used

MOTOR : I'm going to run 19turn so i will need a motor (suggestions on used?)

BATTERY : what would be good enough for me at the moment until i can afford a more capacity/higher quality one?

CHARGER : (what should i go and purchase just to get me going)

It pretty much seems right now as if I might just walk into my local hobby store and pick some cashiers for maybe a deal on something. The only problem I see with this is in my area we have one of those horrible service no brain employee run HobbyTownUSA's. Well atleast mine is horrible

Keep me posted on the suggestions because i am looking but those deals...they come out of thin air. I am off !!!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 AM
Tech Champion

I use a Checkpoint ("money motor") spec 19t with my sedan and really like them. (Im not sponsored by them).

Make sure you go for the harder brushes on them though as they are best suited to 6 cell racing. Havnt seen any need to change the springs on them as yet.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Here's one perspective, all items purchsed here on RCTECH.NET new/used

1 - new in box Xray T2R (Yes I got lucky ) $215
2 - matched 6c 3300 nimh batteries $45
2 - Trinity C027 motors with w/extra brushes $35

Now I do have a Duratrax ICE and radio equipment but my point is that if you look on here long enough you'll find a deal somewhere. Buy a car that you can still get parts for either online or from your LHS. I went with Xray because there is a local club where I live that has their own web store that only sells Xray. So it's easy for me to get parts because they are within 30 min from me. The guy that I bought my car from actually still has an Xray T2 (not the 07) for $250 search on fastburn, that's his name.