R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Hobbico digital servos

The Hobbico digital servos are very cheap. Check Tower. The CS-140 is a fast servo that I might run in my touring car.

Should I risk it? It's $35. Does anyone know anything about their digital servos, or should I just buy a Hitec 5625?
Yub, yub, cmdr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Tech Elite

I suspect that the Hobbico servos are made by Hitec anyway, since they use the same servo fittings and also titanium gears in the top version. So in that case they offer a fair saving over what the Hitec brand has to offer.

Personally I would advise against Hitec as I have not been impressed by them, up your budget a bit and get a high-end model, or choose a budget Futaba servo, I have run the basic S3003 in touring cars at a pinch and to be honest you can hardly tell the difference expect in the very tight left/rights.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Tech Adept

What makes you unimpressed with Hitec servos? I am just curious.

I am not contradicting you but shouldn't Hobbico be made by Futaba? They are all one big US conglomerate.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Just a general impression of quality. Seem to be more prone to failures/problems than other servos. More often than not if someone locally is having servo problems it is a Hitec or one of the cheap/mid-range brands. Of course that could be a reflection of the servo owner. I had one of the mini 225 Hitecs in a 12th and wasn't blown away by it, plus all the 12th cognoscenti would look at it and shake their heads...

Great Planes don't OWN Futaba, Futaba is a massive Japanese firm that makes industrial controls and displays as well as hobby RC (how many industrial controls do you see advertised on the Hitec website?). There is no assumption that Hobbico must use Futaba servos. And if they were to ask Futaba to make the servos I see no sense in asking them to fit the less widely supported Hitec spline or to have Titanium Gear "technology" which Futaba don't use.

Buy whichever servo tickles your fancy at the end of the day.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Good call on the second point (the Titanium technology and Hitec spline)

But I still debate the first point: Futaba/Great Planes/OS/Hobbico/Duratrax and (once Kyosho) US were all in a relationship called Best RC. And with the exception of Kyosho, they still are.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking

i have never used anything but hitec servos (unless it came with a used car or something) and i absolutely love them.. the price fits my budget and i find the performance and reliability excellent... some folks are just "servo snobs"..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr!
But I still debate the first point: Futaba/Great Planes/OS/Hobbico/Duratrax and (once Kyosho) US were all in a relationship called Best RC. And with the exception of Kyosho, they still are.
It may shock and surprise you to hear that there is a hobby industry OUTSIDE of the US.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Ha, yes, I know that. I am from China anyways!

No, I meant the US divisions of all the companies are all related under the moniker Best RC. Their foreign divisions are not. I guess I was unclear in my original post about how they were all allied.

Yes, I remember trying to buy Kyosho stuff in China.... in my city of 9 million people a total of 10 play with RCs. The LHS only had the MP5! That's old...

Point is: They're the same in the US. Agreed? I make no statements and never made statements about them being the same worldwide.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yub, yub, cmdr!
I meant the US divisions of all the companies are all related under the moniker Best RC.
Not really true to say that they were US "divisions", that implies that the head office had some ownership of the US distribution. But that wasn't the cae, they were simply all distributed by Great Planes at the time. So Best RC was a distributor initiative not a manufacturer initiative. So I would disagree that they are the "same" in the US. It would be like saying that HPI and XRAY are the same here in the UK because they too share a distributor.

Kyosho obviously have set up their own proper US division since then.

I think that is by-th-bye though. Hobbico probably had an opportunity to ask Futaba to build these servos, but for whatever reason it didn't happen that way.