Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TA05 IFS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xniperliams
Do you think it is because plastic is a little more flexible than carbon that is stiffer?
Yes of course. The original lightweight reversible suspension didn't even have carbon c-hubs as an option...

As for tires, run what the fast guys at your track run. Every track is different. At our track they use Sorex 36R all year around cause they just work...
Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do you or anyone ever have problem with stock TA05-IFS front upright? It seems it can't take too much bashing. It easily comes off due to the bottom screw (3x8mm) that goes through the suspension arm and into the bottom hole of the front upright not being able to hold it. The hole just gets wrecked.

It happened to me every 3 full day run. OK honestly at the time I was still pretty new to RC and didn't handle my car well so I bashed it quite a bit. So I got pissed and ordered 3Racing aluminium front upright online.

While waiting for it to arrive, I did some research and found that Tamiya never produces metal front upright due to the stiffness causing instability in steering. So what I did, I used a longer screw, 3x10mm, and liquid thread lock on a pair of new front uprights. It has now last for about almost 10 full day runs with no problem. I haven't used the 3Racing aluminium front uprights as yet.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Front uprights / Steering arm

Do you or anyone ever have problem with stock TA05-IFS front upright? It seems it can't take too much bashing. It easily comes off due to the bottom screw (3x8mm) that goes through the suspension arm and into the bottom hole of the front upright not being able to hold it. The hole just gets wrecked.

It happened to me every 3 full day run. OK honestly at the time I was still pretty new to RC and didn't handle my car well so I bashed it quite a bit. So I got pissed and ordered 3Racing aluminium front upright online.

While waiting for it to arrive, I did some research and found that Tamiya never produces metal front upright due to the stiffness causing instability in steering. So what I did, I used a longer screw, 3x10mm, and liquid thread lock on a pair of new front uprights. It has now last for about almost 10 full day runs with no problem. I haven't used the 3Racing aluminium front uprights as yet.
Yupe, happen lots of time to me. Like you, i've decided to use 3x10mm screw and it work better. Also like you, i got the aluminium ones but when i tried to put it on, i can't reuse the 950 bearings. In fact, i think the 1050 bearings can't fit in it too, the hole is too big. Oh well, back to the Tamiya ones then.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

Default One way

Has anyone used both front one way and center one way on TA05-IFS? I only have front one-way. If there is a benefit of using center one-way, I would consider getting it, too. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Using both one-ways is supposed to smooth & increase turn-in a little more. It also makes it more even left to right. My buddy said he could tell a definite difference when adding the center one-way to his TF-5 Stallion. It's also supposed to make the drivetrain more effecient at high-speed, though I could not tell you how...

It's probably not worth the extra expense though.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

The Japanese Factory Driver use double 1-way because it was running with a high turn 23T motor on a hugh track...you want those slow motor to carry the MOST speed to the car without losing any...I think thats why he decided to use BOTH. And I know alot of ppl start up using the center 1-way because they are like $20...instead of the front 1-way $40, the center 1-way is a cheaper way for a taste of running 1-way...but still, I would think using the actual front 1-way is the right way to start first...then pick up the center 1-way for extra adjustment.

I use only front 1-way for silver can and 17.5 and it is plenty fast on carpet and outdoor parking lot track...unless I am running some 1/8th on road track, I don't think that is necessary...beside, if you go for a bigger track, you should not run silver, 23T or 21.5 BL...go for something faster then 10.5 BL.

About the C-hub not holding the screw...my case, still using the same hub since early 2008...I have not break any hub so far nor I open the car and clean them, and I think thats why they are holding up pretty good. Try NOT to take off the screw and rework the hub/bearing too much...you only need to work on these area when you have to, otherwise, Tamiya is a pretty strong car for beater....(I used the IFS R for indoor carpet, then use it for outdoor GT3 or GT1, then pretty soon will use it for RCGT by only changing motor and tires...and adjust setting per track condition).

For outdoor IFS-R setup...use the Japanese Factory driver setup for starter...I used that last year for 17.5 and only need to do minor setup to adopt the track...very good start up setting. You can find that at TamiyaUSA site under TRF
Old 05-21-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Solara
About the C-hub not holding the screw...I used the IFS R...
IFS-R has different suspension components from the IFS. It's the newere 1050 bearing steering knuckles and their carbon...

On my 415MSX, which has the same steering knuckles as the IFS (except carbon), I run a 10mm button head screw up into the bottom. I've never had a problem with the screw backing out. Of course the carbon knuckle may hold the screw better than the plastic version on the IFS...
Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Tech Adept

Be sure to check and make sure that the screw you are going to use isn't going to be too long and rub the cvd.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 94eg!
IFS-R has different suspension components from the IFS. It's the newere 1050 bearing steering knuckles and their carbon...

On my 415MSX, which has the same steering knuckles as the IFS (except carbon), I run a 10mm button head screw up into the bottom. I've never had a problem with the screw backing out. Of course the carbon knuckle may hold the screw better than the plastic version on the IFS...
I think my steering hub is actually the 05R carbon one, then with the IFS-R C-hub...along with 05R front arm....I don't even know what is my IFS-R called now...it is not a true IFS-R afterall But...it still run GREAT. (and again, my screw came off 1 or 2 times ONLY I have the whole front end sheered off due to accident/mistake when running outdoor couple times with the '2x4 board meeting"....) The screw just never came off my itself on me...so far.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

2 ways to do it (fix it) buy the carbon version of the steering hub and use a button head 3x10 and bolt it in....

OR...if you want to savage the old steering..

Take the old hub off (just leave the hub only, no CVD or bearing inside)...clean that lower screw hole nicely, then coat a thin layer of CA within...rim around the hole, let it set overnight...that why, the CA coated the threaded hole and made the hole smaller...now, bolt in a 3x10 screw and that would tighten the screw...however, in several case (from me) the CA was not dry enough and ended up CA the screw as well....but that is OK for me.
I don't recommand this methrod but I did this couple time in my life because I don't have a spare knuckle for the other car...so I have no choice.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Tech Adept

I think some of you misunderstood it. It is not C hub (51293) I am having problem with, but the front upright (51296). The screw just goes through C hub with flanged tube surrounding it and goes into the front upright.

Since that few incidents, I actually have been doing the tricks that some of you are suggesting. I pour a little bit of thread lock liquid, let it dry, and use a 3x10mm screw. It works wonder. Thanks for sharing the tricks anyway.

So I am glad that the problem is not me, but the design of the car itself. I think what I would is I would try TB Evo5 carbon upright (51103) and see if it holds better than 51296.

About the under-steering issue on TRF416 thread, it is the plastic C hub not plastic front upright that is preferred, isn't it? Sorry for asking but I just want to make sure as the 2 are easily mistaken.

Thank you to all of you guys!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think what I would is I would try TB Evo5 carbon upright (51103) and see if it holds better than 51296.
I believe switching to the Evo5 steering knuckle (not c-hub) will require new bearings (1050), wider axles, and shorter driveshafts. Not a cheap changeover to say the least...

About the under-steering issue on TRF416 thread, it is the plastic C hub not plastic front upright that is preferred, isn't it?
You are correct. The more flexible plastic c-hub adds some steering and should alows more give before breaking in a crash. Definitely worth a try since they are cheaper to boot...
Old 05-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Tech Elite

I ve been thinking of getting the TA05 IFS as my second car. I do have TRF416WE, but that car I reserved it for indoor carpet. Now I want something that is cheaper than 416 to run it outdoor on foam tyres. I usually run mod class with 3.5-4.5t motor. My q's are:

1. Can the box stock IFS be run with mod motors? Or do I have to buy options parts for it? The mildest motor I have is 5.5t.

2. Will it handle good on foams?

BTW I can only get the normal IFS not the IFS-R, its not available anywhere anymore...at least here in my country.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

dameetz, The IFS-R is the car you want to find. Try online shops such as Stellamodels, RCmart, Vellrip, and even ebay. The R version has all the right hop-ups in one box. I have one with a Tekin 4800kv system and its fantastic! I cant comment on how good the car is on foams, I run outdoors with rubber tires, but I see no reason why it wouldnt run well on foams with a stiffer set-up.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hobbipro
dameetz, The IFS-R is the car you want to find. Try online shops such as Stellamodels, RCmart, Vellrip, and even ebay. The R version has all the right hop-ups in one box. I have one with a Tekin 4800kv system and its fantastic! I cant comment on how good the car is on foams, I run outdoors with rubber tires, but I see no reason why it wouldnt run well on foams with a stiffer set-up.
I ve checked them all...still out of stock...I m going to look further in ebay...hope I can get it....in the mean time if any of you guys know where I can find it please post it here...I would prefer an on line shop that can do international shipping (I live in Southeast Asia) and I want a NIB coz I really enjoy building....Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.