R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-16-2003, 08:48 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I did some more testing last night on the Spectra and 3PK, trying to find other culprits like if a particular servo or a particular receiver. It was less chatter on the steering servos but it is still evident regardless if it was a cheap analog servo or a high end one or a DCX receiver or a XXTRA receiver. I even use a mix of servos from airtronics and from futaba.

Has anyone of you guys use a Hitec FM Transmitter Crystal in a futaba?
Old 04-16-2003, 09:10 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Default chatter on the steering servos

izzyracer;

I have several Friends that are racing with the 3PK and Spectra with no problems.
Make sure that your 'Testing' area is not around Fluorescent lighting. This can and will cause glitching.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Default Re: chatter on the steering servos

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
izzyracer;

I have several Friends that are racing with the 3PK and Spectra with no problems.
Make sure that your 'Testing' area is not around Fluorescent lighting. This can and will cause glitching.
Pops, hmmm, do you have a magic ball, I do have a flourecent light sticking up my work area. Yes I will try moving into a different area. But it also happened at the Tamiya track and SoCal. But I'll check it out some more. Thanks
Old 04-16-2003, 10:39 AM   #34
Tech Apprentice

Hi Izzy,

I re-tested this whole thing again. I don't have any glitching here using the 3PK in PPM mode with a Hitec DCX using the special Hitec dual conversion crystals in the receiver and analog Futaba S9602, S9404, S9402, 9203 or S9601 servos. There is a little bit of noise like they can't quite find "center" from the servos but they don't move or glitch at all. When using the DCX with a couple of Hitec digital HS5245MG servos they act normally with no noises from the servos. So there may be a problem for some people with some servos, I don't have any more servos so I cannot test this theory out.

Cheers

Last edited by chiplouie; 04-16-2003 at 11:27 AM.
chiplouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:46 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by chiplouie
Hi Izzy,

The is a little bit of noise like they can't quite find "center" from the servos but they don't move or glitch at all.

Cheers
This is what I am talking about and it can be worse on different situations.

Thanks
Izzy
Old 04-17-2003, 11:57 AM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ice-wolf Send a message via Yahoo to ice-wolf
Default Re: Futaba 3PK and Hitec SPECTRA module

Quote:
Hi Psycho,

I just came back from the local Hobby People shop where I tested the Specta module in my 3PK. I tested the 3PK in PPM with the Tx antenna down with one of my Hitec DCX dual conversion Rx's, the DCX's antenna was coiled up. I came back at after I got outside the store, it was still working perfectly and glitch free at well over 100' with 10.0 volts showing on the Tx's internal battery voltmeter.

Then I repeated the test with the 3PK in HRS modulation mode using a new Futaba HRS R203HR Rx with a tightly coiled antenna with a wire twist tie on the antenna and it too was working perfectly past 100'.

Based on this testing I would say that this is a pretty good combination to use. It seems safe and I'll try it out this week and see. But from what I've seen now with my own Tx and Rx packs this is a hot combo!

Thanks all for the help!

Cheers/Chip

Did you try the pcm did it work?
What kind a 3pk usa vision or japan vision?

thank,
ice-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2003, 12:13 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Default 3PK and Spectra

Hi Ice,

Sorry, I only tested as originally posted. I don't have a Futaba PCM receiver as I bought the Radio System with the Futaba R203HF High Response System version.

BTW, this is a Megatech 3PK by Futaba on 75MHz.

Cheers
Old 04-17-2003, 12:59 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ice-wolf Send a message via Yahoo to ice-wolf
Default Re: 3PK and Spectra

Quote:
Hi Ice,

Sorry, I only tested as originally posted. I don't have a Futaba PCM receiver as I bought the Radio System with the Futaba R203HF High Response System version.

BTW, this is a Megatech 3PK by Futaba on 75MHz.

Cheers
Hi Chiplouie

thank you for the info,,

regard,
ice-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:50 PM   #39
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Now that I know the Spectra works perfectly with the Futaba 3PK in HRS mode, I have a few questions. Let's say I change the frequency in the Spectra module to 85, does that mean I would have to change the crystal in my HRS reciever to 85 aswell?

Thanks
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:03 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice

Hi Accord,

Yup, that's what it means. I wanted the ability to change frequencies on my 3PK so I can use my Hitec DCX dual conversion receivers. They need a special DCS crystal and cannot use the same rocks as are sold by Futaba. So this would mean that I would buy a set of Futaba FM crystals and then buy a matching freq. Hitec DCX crystal for the RX. This comes to over $30 per freq., $20+ for the normal Futaba rocks and $10+ for the DCX RX only rock. A Spectra module new costs about $100-$120 so If I buy one Spectra @$120 and one matching DCX rock I'm out about the same amount of cash as 4 sets of rocks from Futaba and Hitec for the DCX. But all of the DCX freqs. past 4 are money savers at $10 vs. $30+ for just the rocks. It can only make sense if you have alot of radios in cars and/or DCX receivers. You can also use the Novak synthesized receivers but they are too expensive IMO to put into all of your cars.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2003, 11:17 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Futaba sells RX crystals seperately from TX crystals, so I wouldn't have to buy a set of crystals, I could just buy RX crystals for my HRS reciever and have no leftover TX crystals.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:23 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Hi Accord,

Who sell them this way? All I've been able to find locally is Futab crystals in pairs.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Tower Hobbies sells Futaba crystals as a set or individually TX or RX.

www.towerhobbies.com
Old 04-18-2003, 11:33 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

Hi Accord,

Ah! this is good to know! Thanks!

Cheers
Old 04-18-2003, 11:55 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
Tower Hobbies sells Futaba crystals as a set or individually TX or RX.

www.towerhobbies.com
Can you find me the exact link that shows that, cause I can only find pairs none for jut the transmitter.