R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #1

Default Looking for top notch cars

Could someone please direct me to the best sedan and 1/12 cars on the market plus ESC and give a brief explanation of your choice? I am looking into racing both carpet and asphalt so if there are any differences, could you please educate me. I have no clue of what batt people are using or the motors either, but I plan on jumping all in. Back when I raced electric years ago, 1300SCR and SCE matched packs were the batts of choice. I see there are much more, but I want to stay race legal so no brushless or lipo systems
Paul Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Tech Master

lots of choices out there and 10 guys will tell you 10 different things but here is my advise...

for a Touring car I would go with Xray....top privateers run Xray more than any other because:
1.Durability....the car is just plain stronger that any other....PERIOD!!
2. Overall Performance....xray cars are always fast. there are many good cars for rubber tire racing but the xray car is the best carpet car...
3. Support...this could vary depending on location, but I believe that at a given track you will see an overall higher percentage of xray cars...more racers to compare setups with....

for 12th scale...my best class...Get a CRC GEN X chassis
1. you are just starting and 12th scale can be tough on beginners....the GEN X is a link style car that is more durable and still handles the same after you hit a barrier, unless its broken of corse...
2. CRC has there own tires that come trued and ready to go...and the wheels are strong....they look sweet too....
3. exotic 12th scale cars can be hard to get parts for.....not a problem with CRC....

ESC..I would go with Novak GTX if you are running brushed motors...and the GTB for brushless....I dont have much brushless experience but Novak speedos are always EASY to program and they last....plus Charlie RULES!!!

good luck and have fun....

Sean

Team Associated/Reedy/LRP
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Well is your starting out i would either go with the HB Cyclone or the Xray T2R

1. both very durable and easy to get parts to.
2. very good competition cars with alot of people running them so you can get help if u need it.
3. both are very en-expensive

1/12 cars are really the Gen-x and the CRC t-force

T-Force
1. very en-expensive and can still keep up with the best of them.
2. once again durable very hard to break( well for me).

Gen-X
1. Expensive but just like any other top of the line car its fast and durable.
2. alot of 1/12 drivers know how to work these so you can have help when you need it.

Electronics
GTX and the LRP Sphere

1. both very user friendly.
2. both very durable and both have good feedback.

If your starting out unless you have the money to support id go with used cars from people on rc tech most people are really good people that take care of there cars.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If your starting get a xray T2 can be tuned for carpet and asphalt with little tearing apart. Scince the 007 hit the market these are seen every where.

GTX speedo the best most reliable and one of the smallest
Branden Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

First thing with deciding on a car would be go down to your local track and see what people are running there. Then go to your local hobby store and chack what manufacturers they have parts for.

Use these two factors to decide on the car, first one so you can have help from the others, second when you break something the shop will be able to get you back and running quickly

Novak GTX and IB4200's form any matcher, they all turn out great cells.
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just one quick input that will piss some off. If it is ALL about winning, then focus on that. There is a really good chance that all of the top cars are better than a new driver. Go with the car you love. Under your own Question, you have written "it's all about the Bling". Nothing wrong with that. You'll spend 90% of your time in the pits. Listen to all the advice, but if you find yourself picking up your friends car every week because it "just amazing" then is it so wrong to buy what you love?. It's a $800+ toy car.....that's all.
catcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

I would check your local track to see what people are running and maybe get something that there racing. you can get a lot of setup help and it helps when you break and your out of spares people are pretty good about that and you can pay them for part or whatever.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

sedan,

MOORE SPEED CYCLONE
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you local track has XRay parts in stock I would go with either the T2 002 Euro #300008 (Asphault) or US #300007(Carpet). Great chassis, one of the most durable out there, spare parts can be a little pricy but they dont break very easy, conversion kits are availible for US to Eruro #300942 and Euro to US #300941. I would also suggest you perchase the new 2mm topdeck part #301182, this is $money$ on low traction asphault or carpet.

Batteries, SMC IB4200's, they are a great matching company, that's who matches the Team Brood batts

ESC, KoPropo VFS-1 Competition 2, for both 1/10 touring and 1/12, it's one of if not the smallest ESC on the market, super powerful, and like novak there is a US based distributor if it ever needs to be repaired, unlike the LRP wich have to be shipped to Europe. I would also suggest you get the multi setting adapter #61009, or if you have a labtop computer you can bring to the track the ICS PC Interface #61012, with these you can adjust every aspect of the ESC and taylor it to your needs, also on their website they have printed setups for both touring and 1/12, for every type of track and motor

ESC second choice, Novak GTX #1780

Motors, gotta go with Team Brood for the best motor tuning company, as far as which motor, that is up to what class you are driving and what type of track it is, but here are some good one's to start with
Stock- Trinity CO27
19 Turn - Trinity Komodo Dragon
Mod - Team Checkpoint and Orion make great ones, how fast is up to you

1/12 chassis, I have not gotten into 1/12 yet, but I have heard good things about the CRC T-Force #1312 and Generation X Carpet Knife #3200. Also the Corally SP12X US #00067, and the CEFX C12 #12000 or #12000-G (green editon) are very good cars.

1/12 batteries, same as above SMC IB4200's
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #10

thanx fellas for all your input. I'm not sure about the local track support for those brands (CRC, Xray)but as it is, I buy most of my parts through online shops. I didn't know that certain cars are made only for carpet or asphalt, so i guess I'd better read up. I just want to start out right and don't want to purchase a car that needs all kinds of hop-ups to be competitive, so I'll definitely look into your suggestions
Paul Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Jim S

GO XRAY
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

If your local track sells parts you should make an effort to buy parts there. They can't survive on track fees alone. The one exception would be if you bought a car that wasn't supported by the local track. Just be aware of what you're getting into if you go that route because stocking your own spare parts can be pretty expensive. It's pretty nice to be able to walk over and buy the part you just broke off the rack. Unless you buy a spare car, eventually, you'll break something you don't have a spare for. It's also nice to be able to talk to, and get advice from, other racers with the same car. If you're driving something no one else has you're SOL on many levels.

Any of the new kits in the $400 range are fairly equal to one another. The biggest differences will come down to previously mentioned issues.

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #13
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

XRay is the only brand of touring car worth spending your money on.

This message was sponsored by the Cult of XRay.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:00 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Just kidding. :-)

The guys telling you to see what your track stocks (as far as parts go) are on the right track. Most sedans these days have pretty equal performance. XRay is a fine, fine choice, but you'll pay more for it. Many people are successful with other sedans that cost less, especially parts. Parts availability is ultimately the most important thing with sedans, especially starting out.

The forthcoming Associated TC5 appears to be the sweet spot in terms of price vs. performance. That is, it performs just as well as the others at a much lower price.

There's a ton of choices, and no clear "right" choice for every person and every situation. Do some research beyond what the fan boys on R/C Tech tell you to buy, and find your way to what's right for you.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

IF you really want to find out what to buy, go to your local track and ask around, the people that run there will have a good knowledge of what will and wont work on that track.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote