R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 902
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Somebody is not communicating or is holding out on something for some reason ?

We have absolutely have no problem submitting a battery for approval and would send one out today if we felt it would make a difference. FYI our chem data sheet are public knowledge and by law we have to have it available for any of our resellers.
Well it can't be.. C O N S P I R A C Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Get back to your search for proof of UFO's and don't clog up this thread with consiracy crap.


Only joking!!!
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #77
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Bxpitbull, Betting the house is something thats easier to say than do! If you're wrong and somebody gets seriously hurt by a Lipo cell at a ROAR event they could lose everything in 1 single lawsuit.

Don't forget, this is the country where a woman spilled hot coffee on her leg and won a 3 million dollar verdict against McDonalds.

This is something that is going to have to start in Europe or Japan and then carry over to the States. Sadly, it's far to litigious here for anybody to be taking chances with safety.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #78
Tech Elite
 
Leodis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,058
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for setting the record straight Mr. Black. I look forward to buying Orion's new lipos when they come out even if they never get approved by ROAR.

Racing
Only
Archaic
Rides
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #79
Tech Addict
 
MrBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OC
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237
Bxpitbull, Betting the house is something thats easier to say than do! If you're wrong and somebody gets seriously hurt by a Lipo cell at a ROAR event they could lose everything in 1 single lawsuit.
I would put my safety on a Kokam SLPB lipo any day of the week against any NiMH cell. I have seen the worst that can happen with both and the explosion high speed shrapnel spray of toxins and fire of a NiMH is far more destuctive then the puffing and sandwich bag popping of air that the Kokams will produced if abused to destruction.

When a customer says their Lipo blew up they mean it puffed when NiMh customer says the same they mean explosion as in with with fire and a debris field.
__________________
TEAM ORION - AVIONICS - KYOSHO - KO PROPO - PEAK

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #80
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,141
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

I'm so scared of LiPo! Hold me.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #81
Tech Master
 
Ed237's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dudley PA
Posts: 1,431
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

After going back and forth about this - what exactly is the problem? A lot of tracks allow lipos. Why do you need ROAR to hold your hands and guide you through it all?

I happen to use both. My local track allows lipos and the the one 2 hours away does not. So I need Lipos and NiMh. Having both is still cheaper than what I have invested in my 1/8 Buggy.

I kind of feel sorry for the guys who cant buy a new pack each month or so to stay competitive. Maybe RC isnt for them.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #82
Tech Elite
 
Turbo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 4,878
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237
Don't forget, this is the country where a woman spilled hot coffee on her leg and won a 3 million dollar verdict against McDonalds.
Stupid lady...

After McDonalds had agreed numerous times (in writing, from previous lawsuits) to reduce the temp of their coffee to 140 from 190 (lasts longer at 190, saves money), a 79 year-old woman sustains 3rd degree burns. It was reduced on appeal.

If you're going to use red herrings...at least get your facts straight.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b77256026e6.htm
Turbo Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #83
Tech Elite
 
Leodis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,058
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed237
Maybe RC isnt for them.
Maybe NIMH isn't for them.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #84
Tech Elite
 
POUNDITRACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Newport, RI
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I'm down with people using LiPo's. You should be able to run them in a mod, outlaw 19t (everything goes),or outlaw stock classes.
I don't have any lipos because I can't use them at any of the big races that I go to. I race 3 times a week. There aer a couple of people that have them and when we run stock it is very discouraging to get killed when they race. I have a power sponsor and have great equpitment but it is still not fair.
__________________
Pound It Paints - http://www.rctech.net/forum/painting-designs-graphics-photography/270707-pound-paints-raymond-ramirez.html
RC Reveled - http://www.teamrcr.net
POUNDITRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #85
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fresno,CA
Posts: 266
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

The reason that ROAR needs to approve them is because a lot of tracks are ROAR affiliated is because of the insurance. If ROAR won't insure a racer that gets hurt by a lipo or a racer who's lipo hurt another person, then the track won't allow them.
So, that's why we, ROAR members, need to make our voices heard.
Contact ROAR HERE .

Oh, for all you guy that think NiMh are safe, look at post # 18.
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=184590
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #86
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
Uh...the BIGGEST on-road races aren't ROAR events. The IIC, Cleveland Indoor Champs, Novak, Reedy, et al. And NONE of them accept lipo either in any of the "standard" classes. Why? They generally accept ROAR rules except oddball 1-off classes because the organizers understand the need for nationally-recognized rule sets. Again, JUST LIKE ANY SUCCESSFUL RACING ORGANIZATION ON THE PLANET DOES.

Oh...and possibly you've heard...most of the above-mentioned races sell out. And MUCH faster than the Hank does.

It ain't rocket science...

Edit... Too quick on the draw. Thought this was another post about ROAR not being necessary. I think I'm actually agreeing with you!



And every single one of these races uses the ROAR rules as their base, so this argument is pointless...

Sorry guys, I've been to most of these big races and I've seen the rules they follow. They don't detail the rules to the level of ROAR, but they tech to the ROAR rules. The rules these races have are only an addendum to ROAR. Where in Cleveland's Indoor Champs booklet do they list the minimum and maximum wheelbase? Cell count? Motors? It isn't there. The assumption is that ROAR rules are the base and they make minor modifications to suit their preference.

Without ROAR, what rules would we have?
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #87
Tech Elite
 
Joel Lagace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,628
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack

When a customer says their Lipo blew up they mean it puffed when NiMh customer says the same they mean explosion as in with with fire and a debris field.


Good Point defining "BLEW UP" or "CATCH ON FIRE" would be nice so people could use it at the right time LOL

I work in the HVAC trade and if i had a dollar for everytime i attended a service call where a furnace "BLEW UP" that simply did not i would be a rich man. Same goes for water heaters blowing up... i have yet to see one blow... ITs over reaction to the unknow or equipment they dont understand in most cases. Burnt out motor is just that not a fire!

Anyway with that said safety is very important these battereis both nihm and lipo are in our hands on our tables close to our faces alot of the time and in our cars... Handled by 5year olds up to 80 year old racers.. So if there is fear or risk both manufacturers and users need to use due diligence.
__________________
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
www.rcottawa.com
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:24 PM   #88
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,047
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Just for the record we attempted to submit the Our LiPo's but we're told by ROAR they could not be accepted as there was no catoragory for a LiPo battery.

Somebody is not communicating or is holding out on something for some reason ?

We have absolutely have no problem submitting a battery for approval and would send one out today if we felt it would make a difference. FYI our chem data sheet are public knowledge and by law we have to have it available for any of our resellers.
Were the packs submitted for the existing rules, or was an attempt made to work with ROAR to establish a definition of what would constitute an acceptable LiPo pack?
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM   #89
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpez
Edit... Too quick on the draw. Thought this was another post about ROAR not being necessary. I think I'm actually agreeing with you!



And every single one of these races uses the ROAR rules as their base, so this argument is pointless...

Sorry guys, I've been to most of these big races and I've seen the rules they follow. They don't detail the rules to the level of ROAR, but they tech to the ROAR rules. The rules these races have are only an addendum to ROAR. Where in Cleveland's Indoor Champs booklet do they list the minimum and maximum wheelbase? Cell count? Motors? It isn't there. The assumption is that ROAR rules are the base and they make minor modifications to suit their preference.

Without ROAR, what rules would we have?
Yes cleveland and other races follow roar.it's in the cleveland hand book also.I help make up the handbooks every year and believe me all that info is there but in a smaller form.The roar rules are too long to retype they are just understood.You want bigger races to make them legal?then roar will have to make them legal start emailing them like crazy.I don't know if it will help or not but I guess it's worth a shot.I run 1/12 scale these days and don't reallly care if lipo is legal or not and in the end it will be the same story different day.The will be match at cost to you and you will be buying by the numbers as I call it.Enjoy what you have got now because once they are legal we will be pissed about them later saying the exact same thing about them as we do other batteries.Don't believe me I have been doing this for the better part of 20 years plus it's always the same.
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:18 PM   #90
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

My problem is that my only local offroad electric R/C track follows ROAR approved motors, batteries without having anything to do with ROAR. We dont even have to be members to race there, no insurance or anything. Its club level, nothing fancy.
I understand some tracks are allowing lipo's to run, because they are educated. But others are still in the dark, and dont even want to educate themselves simply because if ROAR says its not approved, it must be bad. Every other track around me is nitro, so I was forced to open my wallet to by NiMh's, and will probably have to again before the summer is over just to keep up. Ya, some will say no way, but put it this way after about 20 cycles NiMh's are no longer matched. I can practice 2-3 runs, then the heats, and race in the main. I probably easily put 40-50 cycles on these batts before I do replace them, trying so squeeze every bit of life out. My lipo's on the other hand can go 300 cycles without a drop in performance, these puppies can last me probably 2yrs before needing to be replaced......Talk about savings.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIP Novak 5amp lipo regulator with volt monitor, NIP venom 1600mah lipo rx pack sharkman R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 06-10-2008 02:36 PM
LIPO CHARGER LIKE HYPERION AND LIPO BATTS AND MAYBE CHEAP 12TH SCALE jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-16-2008 07:55 AM
FS TrakPower 7.4V 4900MAH Hardshell Lipo,TrakPowerBalancer,TrinityReference 4500 Lipo ffpm46 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 01-29-2008 06:11 PM
Lipo legalization Patriiick Singapore R/C Racers 10 01-18-2008 03:49 AM
Pg 2 on Complete Sellout Motor rebuild Orion Lipo, peak Lipo 4800 and more gunlocators R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 10-08-2007 02:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net