Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo Legalization

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
wow
whats the max on the 3200 cuz i charge them at 3.2 can i go higher.
I charge mine at 6A all the time.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Addict

I am sorry that this is for an offroad race but is being discussed on an On-road thread. But since some have asked so here is a solution to those of you running Orion or Peak 4800 LiPo's to get more capacity in your vehicle. This is what our team drivers are going to do . They simply run two side by side and make "y" harness to put them is parallel. ( the two positives into one and the two negative into one.)

Now you have a 7.4V with 9600mAh of capacity.

It only requires two small holes in the battery tray. and velcro or double sided tape to hold the batteries in or some have made modified straps.

The beauty of this is unlike buying a giant brick for capacity that doesn't fit into anything else this allows you still use the batteries individually for practice or for your other vehicles.

I made a quick image to further explain:
Attached Thumbnails Lipo Legalization-intruck.gif   Lipo Legalization-inbuggy.gif  
Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
You are wrong.

This is the statement ROAR made at the beginning of the year:

For 2007 Lithium Polymer batteries are not permitted to compete with NiCad or NiMh batteries in electric class racing because the voltages are not equivalent
ironically, most of the matched 4200's i've seen come out at 7.4v or better and the concensus is that a good set of nimh's put down more power than lipos..... maybe they should be banned from races...
Old 05-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thats true. The 7.2v nominal for round cells vs. 7.4v nominal for Lipo numbers are meaningless. The 7.2v figure for 6 cells was coined in the days of Saft cells, resistor speedos and the Associated RC12E.

Current LiPo packs are not as powerful over a 5 min run as a good pack of
IB4200WC's. To block LiPo from racing becuase they are highter voltage is a concept not based on fact.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

i wasn't going to even bother with the "dimensions" part.. never mind that our "sub C" cells have steadily grown every year...
Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by tallyrc
i wasn't going to even bother with the "dimensions" part.. never mind that our "sub C" cells have steadily grown every year...
Yup, IB3800 cells were 22.6mm in diameter and weighed less than 63g each.

IB4200WC are 23mm in diameter and weight over 66g each.

At the 2005 IFMAR Worlds the heaviest legal pack was 398g. I just weighed one of my 4200 packs...its was 433g
Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

Bump
Old 05-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Thats true. The 7.2v nominal for round cells vs. 7.4v nominal for Lipo numbers are meaningless. The 7.2v figure for 6 cells was coined in the days of Saft cells, resistor speedos and the Associated RC12E.

Current LiPo packs are not as powerful over a 5 min run as a good pack of
IB4200WC's. To block LiPo from racing becuase they are highter voltage is a concept not based on fact.
i agree. a freshly charged nimh 4200 will peak at 9.25+V, while a lipo is limited to 8.4V. obviously the voltages on both drop, but nimh still has more voltage.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The nitro board doesn't care because lots of people are already running the class. There is a large east coast series that already supports the class. If your going to run bl//lipo tcs then you will need to cut the body like a nitro or a lot of the systems will over heat. A trucks large body keeps this from being a problem. People have had lots of issues w/ 1/10th buggies over heating. The class is a run what your brung class as long as your car fits the specs of a roar legal car. As long as you you have a 2s battery that can endure a 20 minute main then your good to race.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Contrary to popular belief, there IS electric content on the off road forum here, not just nitro babble.

Lots of overheating in buggies? Not as long as the gearing is correct... batteries shouldn't have anything to do with overheating—needlessly overworking your motor does, though.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by havy
For those of you who are starting to use lipo's for the first time, don't forget to get a balancer for your batteries. They should be used before charging the battery to make sure they are balanced, these batteries (most) have a balancing port that can also be used for charging through the balancer if the balancer has this function. This will insure a trouble free battery that will remain consistent and reliable.

Where to find? Look for "lipo balancer" on ebay, maxamps has them. Make sure the balancing port is compatible w the balancer you buy.

Best of luck to all w/ this new category. Especially ROAR, so that you may consider to let this category trickel to on-road at some point.

ROAR/ Dawn... congrats on your initiative. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

havy
Hey slim, you might want to check a few posts by Mr. Black. He states that li-po packs are balanced when they leave the factory rendering "balancing before use"....useless.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
only sad thing about this move witht he 20 minute main in the demo class is that not a single orion pack will make 20 minutes. You must have atleast a 6000 or better the 8000 pack to make the race length. Now everyone who has the orion 3200 lipo pack is now forced to buy a 6000 or better pack just to compete in this class.
Boo hoo. Thats what you get for buying "dummy downed" 5 minute race packs.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Rick, t. thomas, let me ask you boys this...if you ran nitro, would you go out with enuf fuel for five tanks or would you "bite the bullet", buy a gallon and bring the gallon with you for race weekend? Anyone who bought 3200 li-po probably did so not for the cost, but because it fit their car and the time they wanted to run. If they want to compete in the longer races, then obviously, they will have to buy the capacity cells to go the distance.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I think you may have missed the point with what Orion has done with their mass market packs.

First of all, they are making a very good attempt at following a path already in existence with NiMh cells, sizes and capacities. They have created products that make the transition to LiPos safe, easy and mainstream for racers, and especially tracks that aren't familiar with LiPo technology. You can't run before you can walk, and they realize that there is a lot of convincing to be done in the wake of all of our favorite internet scare tactic videos.

Second, they are producing packs with similar capacity numbers to existing NiMh packs, to try to comply with many rules already in place. For tracks and classes with mAh limits, their packs are perfect. Running a pack marked 3200 in a class with 4200 NiMh mainstays makes it MUCH easier to infuse LiPos into everyday club racing without too much ruckus.

I'm willing to bet that the sales of the 3200 Carbon and 4800 Platinum would bear out that they have been successful in their attempts to mainstream LiPo packs in a reasonable way.

I think the biggest hurdle for current LiPo users and opponents to get past right now is this very "bull in a china shop" mentality of bigger, better, more and cheaper. While I am a very big proponent of LiPos in racing, I don't want to see this ram-rodded down the throats of everyone in such an overwhelming fashion. I don't think it will help the people trying to assimilate into the general club racing population if people are constantly pushing 10,000 mAh, greater than 7.4v packs with "Wild West" type open rules and lax standards, just to offer a race for 20 minutes. It doesn't seem to me to be a safe or logical first step into the world of LiPo batteries in ROAR racing.

New 1/8th buggies being converted to electric use is awesome, but there are plenty of people who just want to use a common 7.4v pack to simplify and reduce the work in their weekly racing programs in regular, structured racing classes. We all aren't interested in 20-30 minute races.

I speak for myself here when I say that I believe that the LiPo battery should not create new classes (for the most part) for any scale of racing, but allow electric racers more options and choices for power sources.

That's just me... I could be completely wrong.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

It's not just you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.