R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #301
J_P
Tech Addict

Pitstops are why I quit gas racing. I hate to mooch, and rely on other people to complete what is what "I" want to be doing. Just racing.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #302
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Nice try, George.. no bite.
Not baiting you , just predicting.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
If a few of these cheap Li-Po`s self destructs, Dawn will say SEE !!!

We told you they are not safe and that is why they were banned from Roar events ......
So....what you're saying is that there is a difference and that some cells should be legal while others should not?

What is the defining line? How should race or event organizers..or sanctioning bodies in ROAR's case determine which cells to allow and which not to?

How will these be scrutinized for tech at the races?.....

Perhaps it's up to an enterprising manufacturer to write a set of proposed specs to submit to ROAR to define the LiPo (or next gen cell....everyone says LiPo..but ther is also LiMn and other combinations) standard, instead of simply complaining that the their cells do not fit the current cell constraints that were outlined specifically for Sub-C cells.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #304
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP
Perhaps it's up to an enterprising manufacturer to write a set of proposed specs to submit to ROAR to define the LiPo.
Yes, this is what ROAR will be asking.

George, might be time for you to put the caveman clothing back in the closet.....
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #305
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Dawn,

I included a list of concerns/suggestions about this race in the thread you created announcing it. I'm not sure if you still check that or not, but I can repost them here if that would make more sense.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #306
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTruck
You might not believe this, but the bigger mah capacity packs are safer with less chance of over discharge with more mahs and even less chance of even getting too hot since the 8000 mah packs get only mildly warm and can be stuck on the charger right away! The re charge time will be the same for a 4800 pack as it is for an 8000 pack because with a 1C recommended charge rate it will take the same amount of time for a total re charge. It will even be alot quicker with the 8000 mah battery on a partial charge than the 4800 pack will on a full charge because at 8 amps charging versuses 4.8 amps will be quicker on putting 3000 or 4000 mahs back into the battery.
Large capacity LiPo's are the easy way out, they allow the use of less quality cells and leave all the engineering up to the consumer to figure out how to wedge it in. We feel the consumer should have the easiest safest experience and this is why we go the extra mile to include the highest quality cells in a proper package designed for a specific application. This extra step has also allowed for the ability to now be approved for 2C (i.e. you can charge a 4800 @ 9.6A) charging which shortenes charge times by a great deal.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:01 PM   #307
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Mr Black, does the 2C go for the 3200 also? Right now it takes about 40min to fully charge one at 1C, this would mean a 20min full charge! Wow, This would be like when I first entered R/C with a 1500 Nicad and timed charger but with 3200 capacity, bringing back the good times for sure.
Also I notice the battery actually feels cooler when charging....does this still hold true for 2c charging?
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #308
Tech Initiate

What I really find funny is that all this hype about a ROAR off road race in the on road forum????

It was posted in the off road section with hardly any responses???
ProTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM   #309
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe because it is post in the LIPO thread.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #310
Tech Elite

honestly, I spammed the internet....
Old 05-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #311
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
Large capacity LiPo's are the easy way out, they allow the use of less quality cells and leave all the engineering up to the consumer to figure out how to wedge it in. We feel the consumer should have the easiest safest experience and this is why we go the extra mile to include the highest quality cells in a proper package designed for a specific application. This extra step has also allowed for the ability to now be approved for 2C (i.e. you can charge a 4800 @ 9.6A) charging which shortenes charge times by a great deal.
wow
whats the max on the 3200 cuz i charge them at 3.2 can i go higher.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:02 PM   #312
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Yes, this is what ROAR will be asking.

George, might be time for you to put the caveman clothing back in the closet.....

Too funny ...

Maybe you check , but Roar banned Li-po .....

So why should any Li-Po company of any kind would be so eager to even try to submit ?

But as I understand Dawn , they have tried to submit and Roar has turn them down...

Maybe I`m wrong , and please tell me if I am ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 AM   #313
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bugger ROAR.. bugger the nose in the air racers carting all their exy chargers and dischargers to the track... bugger IB and and bugger NiMH. I got back in to RC for the same reason I started years ago.. and that was to have fun! and with a Lipo and my Mamba 7700 in the XXX-S, fun is what I will be having!!

just like Castle Creations sez... "make em' cry"

(lol shamless plug .. but Mamba's rock, nothing like the look on the face of a Kyosho 1/8th nitro owner watching an EP 1:10 over take his ride )
Phroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:14 AM   #314
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Too funny ...

Maybe you check , but Roar banned Li-po .....

So why should any Li-Po company of any kind would be so eager to even try to submit ?

But as I understand Dawn , they have tried to submit and Roar has turn them down...

Maybe I`m wrong , and please tell me if I am ...
You are wrong.

This is the statement ROAR made at the beginning of the year:

For 2007 Lithium Polymer batteries are not permitted to compete with NiCad or NiMh batteries in electric class racing because the voltages are not equivalent nor do the pack dimensions match those currently observed by ROAR and IFMAR. This rule does not currently affect receiver packs at this time, however ROAR is concerned with the overall safety of these cells when located near or around flammable/combustible materials. ROAR will investigate this further.

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 05-21-2007 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added
Old 05-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #315
Tech Initiate

OK Brushless/Li-po Racers!

Here is your chance to show the world that li-pos are safe and brushless is the route to go with hardly any maintence with a 20 minute main that so many went to gas racing for those long runtimes. Now you have the best of both words with the ease of brushless/li-po electric and the long runtimes like gas!

This maybe what might respark interest in electric off road racing again!

I am trying to make arrangements to attend from the East Coast! Who else is going to race there in this class?
ProTruck is offline   Reply With Quote