R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #286
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
only sad thing about this move witht he 20 minute main in the demo class is that not a single orion pack will make 20 minutes. You must have atleast a 6000 or better the 8000 pack to make the race length. Now everyone who has the orion 3200 lipo pack is now forced to buy a 6000 or better pack just to compete in this class.
You can buy a 6000 or even an 8000 mah li-po pack from several vendors alot cheaper than Orion or Peak sells them for....in some cases you can almost buy 2 packs for the price of the Orion and Peak. Let me add some of those manufacturers have good warranties on those batteries too!

No need to pay a premium for unnecessary plastic case around the battery and a big company name on it!!!!
ProTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:22 AM   #287
Tech Regular

I am not saying this demo is bad, just that most of the racer with lipo are buying the lower mah packs and now need to spend more money(how much do 8000 lipo pack cost compared to 3000 or even 4000 packs and are considered to be safe enough for use?) just to compete(make run time). Is rather ironic in my eyes.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #288
Tech Elite

Quote:
only sad thing about this move witht he 20 minute main in the demo class is that not a single orion pack will make 20 minutes. You must have atleast a 6000 or better the 8000 pack to make the race length. Now everyone who has the orion 3200 lipo pack is now forced to buy a 6000 or better pack just to compete in this class.
This does suck. But it is good for the future of LiPo as it will display its potential. As a demonstration class, it is a good idea. But we really need to work hard to integrate LiPo into the standard racing structure as wll as create exciting new electric classes that take advantage of new technology.

Our drivers (including me) will use two Platinum 4800 wired in parallel. These batteries fit on their sides next to one another in a truck/buggy chassis giving an incredible amount of capacity (9600mAh). A driver with this set-up should be able to run the entire 20 minutes with the same motor/gearing set-up they would run in a 5-minute race, with speeds to match.

One could do the same with two 3200 batteries for 6400 mAh.

For those that are interested, this battery set-up fits under a buggy body.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #289
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by party_wagon
If you were to be sponsored by orion or peak then odds are you are running two packs in parrallel so that you can achieve enough capacity.
I posted before I read this. Good idea!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #290
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I am not saying this demo is bad, just that most of the racer with lipo are buying the lower mah packs and now need to spend more money(how much do 8000 lipo pack cost compared to 3000 or even 4000 packs and are considered to be safe enough for use?) just to compete(make run time). Is rather ironic in my eyes.
You might not believe this, but the bigger mah capacity packs are safer with less chance of over discharge with more mahs and even less chance of even getting too hot since the 8000 mah packs get only mildly warm and can be stuck on the charger right away! The re charge time will be the same for a 4800 pack as it is for an 8000 pack because with a 1C recommended charge rate it will take the same amount of time for a total re charge. It will even be alot quicker with the 8000 mah battery on a partial charge than the 4800 pack will on a full charge because at 8 amps charging versuses 4.8 amps will be quicker on putting 3000 or 4000 mahs back into the battery.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #291
Tech Initiate

I think ROAR has noticed the success of the Pro Truck class we have here in the Carolinas and wanted to see if it can bring back some racers to electric. I just hope the short notice of adding the class doesn't hurt it before it is given a chance???

Anybody going to try to make it to the Nats to race in this class?
Old 05-20-2007, 09:07 AM   #292
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I too hope electric does become more popular again here in NC. I have been to a few diffrent tracks here in NC over the last 2 years. This current season were seeing 65-75 reg sat racers show for On Road and Oval racing. Seems many have gone that route where I run. I hope ALL tracks can start to get a huge weekly turn out. Electric is still tops. All major races always see huge turn outs 200+ so Electric is still strong just some spotty areas need help. I just think the local tracks with low electric need to see what they can do to encourage more electric cars.

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 AM   #293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

agreed, electric offroad needs a booste, and hopefully lipo will give it that.. with the exception of that pro truck class in charlotte which is HUGE, electric offroad is nonexistant anywhere for hours around me.. i sold my truck a year and a half ago.. i guess i'm i the minority, but i am also not real interested in 20 minute mains.. 10 maybe, but that is sufficient to know who won and not abuse the lighter-build electric trucks. also a single 20 minute main is a set of tires... but i digress..

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:29 AM   #294
Tech Regular

Well the balancing is just too insure that the batteries remain good, doesn't meen it is a good or bad battery, you sould always accustome yourself to balance them. As for batts like the Maxamps ones, the good thing is you can charge them through the balancing port and they will always be balanced at the end. Whether you need to do this or not, you should do it, and it takes no longer than charging the batteries... shiesh

As for offroad, I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again. Low Kv motors will get you the time needed even on 4800 mAh. This means that a 6.5 novak, 5X00 Mamba will drain less voltage from the battery and possibly perform better than a high KV (RPM/volt, hotter) motor. Less wheels spinning out in off road and more torque I thought were better for off road anyways.

But you guys know what your talking about so... go for it, and best of luck to you all.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:22 AM   #295
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTruck
You can buy a 6000 or even an 8000 mah li-po pack from several vendors alot cheaper than Orion or Peak sells them for....in some cases you can almost buy 2 packs for the price of the Orion and Peak. Let me add some of those manufacturers have good warranties on those batteries too!

No need to pay a premium for unnecessary plastic case around the battery and a big company name on it!!!!

If a few of these cheap Li-Po`s self destructs, Dawn will say SEE !!!

We told you they are not safe and that is why they were banned from Roar events ......
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 AM   #296
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

We told you they are not safe and that is why they were banned from Roar events ......
So everytime a nickel pack starts popping cells they don't ban them from the track! This can happen with ANY battery if the manufacturers guidlines are not followed!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #297
Tech Legend

Pro truck

Just wait and we will see won`t we ....

I`m all for Li-Po being legalize ...
I all for a longer event class being created....

But I`m mostly interested in just racing Li-Po in the Modified class...

and if I can`t , that is Roar`s problem .......

I won`t be able to attend, and we all know by next year almost all of us will be racing with Li-Po...
So I`ll just have wait till next year.....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #298
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If ni-mh battery manufactures cannot get their act together and really make a decent cell, then lipos should be legalized. Everyone knows that the latest and greatest ni-mh cells are terrible in terms of durability. Needing to go and spend a $100-200 every few months for batteries is completely ridiculous and does nothing for the hobby other than drive people away in droves. Its no wonder why nitro has become so big over the last few years.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hey Dawn, how about a manditory pit stop, kinda like they do in Nascar. This should help those out with 3200's and 4800 packs. Guys who use a battery strap could do something like the xray stap with only one pin to pull, or some other quick change device.
I'm sure everyone has seen a 30min nitro main, usually half the field never finishes due to DNF's. Just pace yourselves, make good laps, and have fun! Take ssome pics if flames are seem! LOL Though with todays cells I'm sure it will all go well, with hopefully more demo classes to follow....
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #300
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

Nice try, George.. no bite.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote