R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
ROV
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bring in the lipo i say sooner than later...
?anyone still using nicads? did'nt think so...
My club won't run them something about insurance cover...
i would think mod is for any mod car no matter whats in it.
Maybe a unlimited class needs to start..there's only so much power you get to the track
It is a young mans sport so why so slow to accept technollogy
my 2 cents

Trashed..
ROV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
Tech Legend

Who needs Roar ?

I run Li-Po ....

Can run um just about all Non-Roar scantion events and club races I attend...

As I see things ...
I can not race a Roar event because all I have is Li-Po battery`s ....

So Roar needs to change if they want racer`s like me to rejoin and attend Roar events ...

Its a Roar problem .....

No Roar legal Li-Po = fewer Roar member`s...

and

everyday
more racer`s like me !

Got a big Roar Sedan National coming to my area that ordinarily I would be attending ...
I`m not attending this event because of Roar`s slow ability to keep pace with our sport`s technology advances...

Too Bad ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:57 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis
Legalize it - don't criticize it
Legalize it and i will advertise it

Some call it lithium polymer
Some call it li-po
Some call it dangerous
Some of them call it the future

Plane guys use it
And nitro drivers too
Legalize it, yeah, yeah
That's the best thing you can do
On-road uses it
Boat guys use it
Even 1/10 off-road too

It's good for IR
It's good for run times
Good for less maintenance
Even good for the wallet

(Many apologies to Peter Tosh)
Dude....you need to get out and race
Old 05-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt
Dude....you need to get out and race
I hate little kids. Put me in a room with a bunch of them and I'll have the flu within 48 hours. Damn rugrats!!!
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis
Do you think that will happen before or after electric off-road becomes completely extinct?
You mean it isn't?

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #21
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik
You mean it isn't?
You really need a reality check , off-road is growing and way more popular than on-road ..
Even in your own N/w racing community off-road is way more popular....

Show me one on-road event in the N/w that sell`s out in advance out before the event occur`s...
Old 05-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Show me one on-road event in the N/w that sell`s out in advance out before the event occur`s...
Show me one event PERIOD within 500 miles of Billings that has electric off-road. It's dead as disco anywhere within a 6-7 hour drive of here. Off-road, anywhere near here, and most places elsewhere that I've heard, has come to mean "nitro". Not sayin' that's right or wrong, just how it seems to be.

Is it electric off-road that's growing in Puget Sound area or off-road in general?

Electric on-road, otoh, I can hit several reasonably large events (80+ entries) within that same radius. No nitro on-road, though, unless I head down to Denver. Yeah, I know Puget Sound on-road is in yet another of it's cyclical declines. Brian Bodine had to come out here last month for a 1/12 fix with more than a main or two worth of racers.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #23
Tech Legend

Quote:
Show me one event PERIOD within 500 miles of Billings that has electric off-road. It's dead as disco anywhere within a 6-7 hour drive of here. Off-road, anywhere near here, and most places elsewhere that I've heard, has come to mean "nitro". Not sayin' that's right or wrong, just how it seems to be.

Is it electric off-road that's growing in Puget Sound area or off-road in general?

Electric on-road, otoh, I can hit several reasonably large events (80+ entries) within that same radius. No nitro on-road, though, unless I head down to Denver. Yeah, I know Puget Sound on-road is in yet another of it's cyclical declines. Brian Bodine had to come out here last month for a 1/12 fix with more than a main or two worth of racers.
Just try and sign for the Hank Perry Electric class ....(May 25th)

Sorry , all sold out , your already too late to join in the fun .....

not all that far either , just Spokane....

again

reality sucks don`t it ?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:39 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Didn't answer ANY of the questions, there, didja George. Who needs a reality check?

btw, Spokane:

For you...between meals trip (approx 270 mi)

For me...driving all day (approx 600mi). More importantly driving all night through deer, elk and antelope country (those'll screw up your car) to get home.

And I don't even like off-road

Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #25
Tech Legend

Quote:
Didn't answer ANY of the questions, there, didja George. Who needs a reality check?

btw, Spokane:

For you...between meals trip (approx 270 mi)

For me...driving all day (approx 600mi). More importantly driving all night through deer, elk and antelope country (those'll screw up your car) to get home.

And I don't even like off-road
Back to topic

Li-po are being accepted by on-roader`s even more than off-roader`s ...
So , even fewer sedan racer`s are going to be willing to attend Roar on-road events ...

a fact ....
Old 05-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #26
Tech Master

LIPO is technically 2-cell and should be legal.

Why this technology isn't being raced test....say at like the Reedy Race in invite is beyond me.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:53 AM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I wonder how many of these "lipo" pushers are really racers out side the "club scene"?

I have been racing a long time, and as of current what I see are a bunch of back yard , local Hobby store know it all's that have no knowledge of what is happening across the country in regards to "real racing" .

Look guys Talk when you have the facts. I race in probly one of the biggest hot beds of racing in this country, Florida. I dont know the exact number of racers but at the tracks I have been to out of 100 racesr at any given race only 2 or 5 guys want lipo ( usually the newbie or basher that thinks factory guys cheat or have insanely great batteries). We have discussed this plenty because we have been trying different cell's and cell count.

Guys focus on having Brushless sorted out and worry about power sources later. By the time motors are figured out new battery technology will be out.
Your not helping by bitching against the manufactures they sell what people want. And since majority rules Nimh will stay awhile longer.

OH by the way electric offroad ISN'T dying its comming back, as is oval. Where do you think all the onroaders went after their cars got too expensive!

I know I am one of them!! Guys what happends locally or on rctech isnt whats happening NAtionally! You all are less then one % of the whole picture!

Now dont start bashing me because I am one of the racers that would love to see a change, but there are other issues that need fixing first and there is Brushless.

H. Garcia.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:54 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Li-po are being accepted by on-roader`s even more than off-roader`s ...
So , even fewer sedan racer`s are going to be willing to attend Roar on-road events ...

a fact ....
Uh...the BIGGEST on-road races aren't ROAR events. The IIC, Cleveland Indoor Champs, Novak, Reedy, et al. And NONE of them accept lipo either in any of the "standard" classes. Why? They generally accept ROAR rules except oddball 1-off classes because the organizers understand the need for nationally-recognized rule sets. Again, JUST LIKE ANY SUCCESSFUL RACING ORGANIZATION ON THE PLANET DOES.

Oh...and possibly you've heard...most of the above-mentioned races sell out. And MUCH faster than the Hank does.

It ain't rocket science...

Old 05-13-2007, 11:14 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
I'm sorry to say but ROAR is a follower not a leader.
I think it will take a long time until LiPo's will be used in racing. Hobbipro is right about the ROAR being a follower. And I don't think any other big organisation will agree on allowing LiPo's. Because in Europe and Asia they have gone back to 4 and 5 cell TC racing. To put a stop to the enormous high speed and power. When allowing a LiPo the best and most likely voltage to use will be the 7,4 Volts, which means it will have even more power than with the 6 cells. This while 5 cells are to much for some cars. Looking at the last Nationals in Holland with 5 cells. The top speed was around 95 km/h. And most drivers didn't even want to try a 3,5 Turns due to the power. Some tried it, with as a result either the pinion turned from the flat side of the motoraxle, although it was tightened really good. And it is a hell for differentials, already with 5 cells. So with higher voltage the batteries will be less expensive for beginning drivers, but the maintanance on the car will be much much higher. Which I think is a main reason or keeping 5 cells. Hearing the voices around me most people seem to agree with this.
Rick Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #30
Tech Champion

ROAR may be "a follower", but notice they DIDN'T just blindly follow onto the 4-5 cell TC deal until more data was in. Personally I'm all for 4-5 cell TC, but I also respect their decision to wait. I think they'll eventually follow onto that bandwagon as well, but I don't get my panties all in a knot because I "can't race what I want", I race what the sanctioning body requires/allows.

The 4-5 cell TC (and 1/12 example earlier) brings up another "challenge" with lipos...lack of ability to fine tune. When your increment is 3.7v (three "old" cells) per cell there isn't any fine-tuning ability.