R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #271
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
This has brought a tear to my eye, might even get out the check book to re-join.....well better sleep on it.
You said it... I'm waiting on your renewal now... LOL

Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #272
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run a Maxamps 6000mah with the GTB/3.5. I know dudes have seen me post this before...I have gotten a max of 45 minutes. In the worst case scenario, I have run hard for 26 minutes straight. Going up against nitro dudes, they gas, I'm gone. They pit, I'm still going. I do a battery swap because I WANT to. Thats where the competition lies for Li-po. Long races, who can stretch the limits after 15 minutes, who knows when to pit coupled with good driving skills. Sort of like a nitro race without the fumes, fuel and mess

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!

Last edited by bxpitbull; 05-23-2007 at 10:19 AM.
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #273
Tech Fanatic

Hey Dawn, make sure to let us know how much the ROAR membership increases (especially in the Region the nationals is being held in) because of this demo class.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #274
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
I run a Maxamps 6000mah with the GTB/3.5. I know dudes have seen me post this before...I have gotten a max of 45 minutes. In the worst case scenario, I have run hard for 26 minutes straight. Going up against Li-po dudes, they gas, I'm gone. They pit, I'm still going. I do a battery swap because I WANT to. Thats where the competition lies for Li-po. Long races, who can stretch the limits after 15 minutes, who knows when to pit coupled with good driving skills. Sort of like a nitro race without the fumes, fuel and mess
I ordered 2 packs today I'm going to give them a try. I also picked up the Mamba 7700.
I'm going to see what kind of abuse they can handle sounds like you have really put them through the test. I'm going to throw them and the Mamba in an off road truck. Are one of those packs the one that was run over?
I'll let you know how they run. I also heard they are assembled by orders.
Buy the way thats cool you running against the gas cars all the time.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:03 PM   #275
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb
Hey Dawn, make sure to let us know how much the ROAR membership increases (especially in the Region the nationals is being held in) because of this demo class.
Oh, I will be loud and proud about the success of this!!!

Its region 10 for this national and Sean (my husband) is the region director.... we'll know pretty darn quickly.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 PM   #276
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbipro
What was that I just read, "The nitro popularity will burn itself out"? You are kidding right? Whats the first thing someone says when they walk into a hobby shop to pick out a new car?........Lets see...... "How fast does this go"!!! Lets face it folks nitro is growing by leaps and bounds. People want to go FAST right NOW, not wait 1hr 20mins for a 4300 batt to charge. Just look at all the RTR ad's now... this car goes XXX mph......2 speed this......and yes 3 speed that.
Electric is in a bad position right now, dont know if lipo and BL will save them or not.
nitro is going down
not a lot of ppl up here are doing it any more 1/10 that is but in offroad its still kinda big 1/8 and trucks and stuff
and this year alot of ppl are running 1/10 4wd and 2wd with BL / lippo.
1/10 nitro ya i did it for 3-4 years but it just cost to damm much.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #277
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Scrub.

Here are a few places that run them right now.

1.http://www.azpancar.com/

2. http://www.southwesttour.com/ovaltalk/index.php
They race at alot of different tracks in southern California.

3. http://www.metrorcspeedway.com

There are more tracks that allow lipos, but you get the point.
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #278
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
nitro is going down
not a lot of ppl up here are doing it any more 1/10 that is but in offroad its still kinda big 1/8 and trucks and stuff
and this year alot of ppl are running 1/10 4wd and 2wd with BL / lippo.
1/10 nitro ya i did it for 3-4 years but it just cost to damm much.
Around here the only nitro is off road.
No onroad at all, except when theres a big event then about 3 or 4 of our guys run in it. I guess some areas are hot and some are not.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 AM   #279
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm looking in to the battery side of things at the moment as i want to step up a little and get more competitive. From what i understand at this point i will need a good discharger $200 AUD, 4 x IB4200's $280 AUD and i will also need to replace my swallow 2 charger that i have grown to love with something that can charge at 6amp another $150 min. Thatís $630 min!!!! and to top all this off I have been reading that IB4200's are fickle creatures and donít last that long (6 months of racing and need to be replace to stay competitive.. assuming a cell does not fail at some point in between) that kind of figure makes me wonder about putting my entire set up on eBay and finding a new hobby as I feel I have gone as far as I can at club level.

Seems these days that being a die hard racer means having alot of cash to blow on something that should be for fun. And if your not spending the big $$ your not going to have a chance = frustration = people no longer enjoying RC = clubs and tracks dieing of again = RC touring car sport suffering.

Some people want to argue even playing fields.. well i gota say its just not anymore.. $$ spent = trophies on the mantel.

Lipo has had a rocky start.. and still has a little ways to go yet before its perfect but the reality is its new.. its better.. its more accessible to the average enthusiast and.. its not going to go away.
Phroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #280
Tech Regular

For those of you who are starting to use lipo's for the first time, don't forget to get a balancer for your batteries. They should be used before charging the battery to make sure they are balanced, these batteries (most) have a balancing port that can also be used for charging through the balancer if the balancer has this function. This will insure a trouble free battery that will remain consistent and reliable.

Where to find? Look for "lipo balancer" on ebay, maxamps has them. Make sure the balancing port is compatible w the balancer you buy.

Best of luck to all w/ this new category. Especially ROAR, so that you may consider to let this category trickel to on-road at some point.

ROAR/ Dawn... congrats on your initiative. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #281
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Great news for you guys in love with LiPo and Brushless!!! And.. for those of you wanting to see the technology......

the 2007 ROAR Off Road Electric Nationals has added a LiPo/Brushless demo class!!!! This will be worked into the program of the four day race schedule, another first for ROAR!

Rules are this:

$50.00 entry (entry flyer will be changed)

Late sign ups ok for THIS CLASS ONLY - as long as its done no later than Wednesday at the track -before racing begins.

7.4V, any capacity LiPo battery
ANY BRUSHLESS MOTOR - open!
ROAR Legal 1:10 2wd Truck
6 minute qualifiers
20 minute A main, B main 10 minutes, the remaining mains, 6 minutes ** No bump ups **
Trophies for A main

You must either send in entry flyer from ROAR website or late sign up at the track no later than Wednesday of the event. (cash or check only)

This is open to anybody!! Even if you have signed up for three classes max as per rules, you may enter this demo class as well.

Questions to [email protected]

Dawn Sanchez
ROAR Vice President
Great move ROAR and thank you for noticing our class!!!!!

You may want to modify the rules and allow any motor, burshed or brushless! Some of the new brushed motors can make 20 minutes with a gear change of 2 or 3 pinion teeth less without any problems!

We have been racing this class in the Carolinas for almost 3 1/2 years now with alot of growth when most areas electric classes are shrinking! A 6,000 mah battery depending on track size and ESC/motor system used can be real close in making 20 minutes without a problem, but we use an 8,000 mah li-po because it is real close to the weight and size of a 6 cell nickel pack and in fact we add about 4 to 5 ozs of weight with the 8000 mah packs to get the trucks to handle with the weight they were designed for!!!!

Thanks ROAR for the great move and we are trying to get a group trip together on short notice to make the Nats.
ProTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 06:52 AM   #282
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
For those of you who are starting to use lipo's for the first time, don't forget to get a balancer for your batteries. They should be used before charging the battery to make sure they are balanced, these batteries (most) have a balancing port that can also be used for charging through the balancer if the balancer has this function. This will insure a trouble free battery that will remain consistent and reliable.

Not necessarilyóa good battery should not need balancing a lot, if at all.

Orion/Peak batteries have shown 100s of runs without ANY need for balancing. A balancer is something that you will rarely use and need if you have good quality cells. One balancer could be potentially shared amongst several drivers with the amount that packs will need to be balanced. Some guys with over a year of race time on Orion packs (Kokam) have reported that after 200+ charges that the two cells measured out at exactly the same voltage and still don't need to be balanced.

One, don't get sucked into too much traditional battery maintenance hype, and two, buy good stuff in the first place, and you won't be throwing good money after bad.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:32 AM   #283
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Its been stated on the Orion Lipo thread that there lipo's do not need balancing. Even IF you do it there was a way to do it WITHOUT a balancer. There is a 2.5mm balance port on the bottom of the battery that would allow you to charge each cell individualy. You set-up up your charger for only one cell, place positive on the top, and negitive on the bottom to get at just one cell, then switch to negative on top and put positive on bottom to get at the other. This way only allows you to charge one cell at a time, but with a digital chager it should get them both peaked out equally. I tried it over a 1yr ago on my 4800 and each cell was dead on after peaking them individualy. So I'd say the no balancing claim is true.
Even if you want a balancer I've seen really inexpensive ones that you simply plug into the pack and it will allow the packs own power to balance itself between the cells, kinda if one cell has a higher voltage, lets it go into the other cell to get them in balance. I use one on my 3 cell airplane packs, and its pretty neat to watch and takes maybe 20-30 seconds till completly balanced depending on how often I use the device.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #284
Tech Regular

only sad thing about this move witht he 20 minute main in the demo class is that not a single orion pack will make 20 minutes. You must have atleast a 6000 or better the 8000 pack to make the race length. Now everyone who has the orion 3200 lipo pack is now forced to buy a 6000 or better pack just to compete in this class.
T. Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:11 AM   #285
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Thomas
only sad thing about this move witht he 20 minute main in the demo class is that not a single orion pack will make 20 minutes. You must have atleast a 6000 or better the 8000 pack to make the race length. Now everyone who has the orion 3200 lipo pack is now forced to buy a 6000 or better pack just to compete in this class.

Maybe it wasn't this thread... but I did state the beauty of demo classes is things can be changed as necessary. I have spoken to Orion about this, BTW.

Lets just plan on a good event to showcase these products and ideas?