R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #196
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

To this point, I have not heard one legitimate reason to keep them out of organized competition.[/QUOTE]
they don't fit in my car is one reason so even if they are legal my 1/12 scale can't use them.I feel if your going to make them legal they have to work for everything not just some things.I personally it's a big waste of time because in the end lipo will be just as big of a pain the rear to deal with as sub c's.
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #197
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

And where is there a rule or limitation written anywhere that says that a battery pack submitted to ROAR has to fit into EVERY car on the market?
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #198
Tech Elite
 
squarehead's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wheaton, Illinois
Posts: 4,211
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill941
they don't fit in my car is one reason so even if they are legal my 1/12 scale can't use them.I feel if your going to make them legal they have to work for everything not just some things.I personally it's a big waste of time because in the end lipo will be just as big of a pain the rear to deal with as sub c's.

You will not get them into 1/12th scale because there is no 4-cell voltage equivalent for LiPo cells. You will get 3.7v (1-cell) or 7.4v (2-cell), and nothing in between.

So why should it have to work in every car in every class? If you want to run LiPos, buy a car that has been designed with them in mind... more are appearing on the market every day.
__________________
Everything depends.
Nothing is always.
Everything is sometimes.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #199
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Orion has already stated on the "orion thread", they did make, or test a saddle pack, but did not go into production because the amount of TC's using saddle configuration these days is very small.......However, 4wd offroad is comming back strong, and most do use saddle packs. You could very easily see lipo saddle packs....just takes people to want them to buy them.
Yes, 1/12 is a different story right now nothing but NiMh's will give you 4.8v, its a specialty class anyway, I used to own 2, raced them, they died off around here. No one new shows up at the track with one and people lose interest. they are fun to drive for sure, but takes a good hand, definetly not for a novice.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #200
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 325
Default

The discharge rating, C rating of the new lipos has made a big difference in the acceptance and safety of the cells for everyday users. at the beggining, most of us were calculating amp draw of our brushless set-ups in order to decide the mAh rating needed to run these batteries safely in our Rc cars. Using references from the airplane and helies was simply not acceptable as others testing the equipment more diligently in cars dicovered that BL cars developed high peak draws w/ lowere constant draws than planes and helies. So untill the high C ratings came out, you would buy them w/ a specific motor/gear ratio/ objective in mind. Now you can pretty much buy any good pack and slap whatever combo you want onto the car and not worry about the cells. This include using brushed motors which are far less efficient(another story).

So I don't think that with the new cells of today you will see people changing batteries all that much anymore. Maybe buying a second or third just to be able to leave the charger/charging at home. As w/ 2 or three packs, you get tired of running after 45 min to an hour, or be looking to replace tires etc after a day at the track.

Simply just more fun. If you really want to know how fun it can be, get a low Kv BL motor w/ a high voltage set-up and note that nothing of the electronics will suffer from the biggest prob right now... heat. You could run all day w/o having to stop the car for cool down periods. Just drive till your hand falls off.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #201
Tech Master
 
Orange's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill941
I don't think they are anymore dangerous then what have they both blow up catch fire whatever it's up to the racer to do things correctly everything we use is "Dangerous".This is simply about acceptance by roar for legal use in races.The ONLY problem is see right now is that they don't fit every car out there.They need to be able to fit in whatever car we are running be that TC or 1/12 or 1/10 offroad whatever it maybe.Right now it's just not the case.And it would be alot easier if they were submitted to roar for approval at this time I don't believe that they have been submitted yet.


Simply put it's not going to get acceptance until roar makes them legal until then we can talk all we want but it won't matter.Roar needs samples to test period.I personally will always run whats legal that way I know whatever race I show up for I won't have a problem.I think that's how most people feel about it sadly we don't run roar and they set the rules so a million "lipo" threads on forums isn't going to do that for you only the companies that make the product can get the job done.
My post of "Dangerous" was sarcasm. What I meant was that NiCad and NiMH both went through this very thing, both were thought to be "Dangerous" when they came out. Everyone was scared of them when they first came out. Just as LiPo is now.

Everyone can argue till they are blue, but quite frankly, if it is not constructive, nobody will listen. That is the problem. Take my post above for example, your feathers seem to have been roosted a little only by not understanding the meaning of my post. That is the problem.

Its hard to start a thread with the intent to get peoples "Opinions" and then trash those opinions when you do not agree. If you want opinions, don't start a thread asking for them.

Just my .02
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #202
Tech Fanatic
 
Scrubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 834
Default

Quote:
And where is there a rule or limitation written anywhere that says that a battery pack submitted to ROAR has to fit into EVERY car on the market?
the rule is right there, where it states what the size dimensions of the cells and the number of cells will be. All the manufacturers build their cars to those dimensions.

Quote:
You will not get them into 1/12th scale because there is no 4-cell voltage equivalent for LiPo cells. You will get 3.7v (1-cell) or 7.4v (2-cell), and nothing in between.
guess that rules out all the 4 cell oval guys too.

Quote:
If you want to run LiPos, buy a car that has been designed with them in mind... more are appearing on the market every day.
and...If you want to race legally at a majority of tracks and races across the country, buy a car that is compatable with Nimh.

There, those two statments should make everybody happy.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:04 AM   #203
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 732
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
My post of "Dangerous" was sarcasm. What I meant was that NiCad and NiMH both went through this very thing, both were thought to be "Dangerous" when they came out. Everyone was scared of them when they first came out. Just as LiPo is now.

Everyone can argue till they are blue, but quite frankly, if it is not constructive, nobody will listen. That is the problem. Take my post above for example, your feathers seem to have been roosted a little only by not understanding the meaning of my post. That is the problem.

Its hard to start a thread with the intent to get peoples "Opinions" and then trash those opinions when you do not agree. If you want opinions, don't start a thread asking for them.

Just my .02
No actually I was in complete agreement with your post so for the confusion I don't feel they are dangerous at all.All batteries suck is my point they all suffer from the same problem....people lol
bill941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #204
Tech Master
 
Orange's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,277
Default

Ahh, see.... I confusion too, LOL
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #205
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

The fitting issue is a mute point, Yes, the original 4800 platinum lipo would not fit every chassis. The TRF415, and Xray T2 for example have bulkheads which had to be dremeled to make them fit. Now the 3200 has answered this, and WILL fit even those TC's with bulkheads that come up and over the back cell. And it WIll fit in my offroad cars.
So yes, you can keep buying TC's layed out for NiMH, there is no such thing as a lipo chassis anyway. Well, atleast the Losi is probably the clostest thing to a lipo chassis, or car of tommorow (COT). sorry, nascar.....
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #206
Tech Master
 
Orange's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,277
Default

Right now, the only thing that manufacturers should be submitting to ROAR is ideas and suggestions on Rules and specifications.... Not packs, that should come later. Bob Novak took the initiative and rallied a few people to get it done with brushless. How about another task force?

Problem is that a couple of decades ago 7 cells were dropped in favor of 6 cells because of speed and higher voltages, now we are getting to the point that 6 cells is doing the same, so making packs with higher voltages will not be the answer IMO. So LiPo manufacturers need to stay with the times and start thinking about the fact that 6.0 volts is going to be upon us sooner than you think. LiPo mfgs need to think about that.
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:19 AM   #207
Tech Legend
 
Wild Cherry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: TRCR Modified Driver
Posts: 22,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange
Right now, the only thing that manufacturers should be submitting to ROAR is ideas and suggestions on Rules and specifications.... Not packs, that should come later. Bob Novak took the initiative and rallied a few people to get it done with brushless. How about another task force?

Problem is that a couple of decades ago 7 cells were dropped in favor of 6 cells because of speed and higher voltages, now we are getting to the point that 6 cells is doing the same, so making packs with higher voltages will not be the answer IMO. So LiPo manufacturers need to stay with the times and start thinking about the fact that 6.0 volts is going to be upon us sooner than you think. LiPo mfgs need to think about that.
and after Roar does the switch ,

I`ll say "good by" forever to that organization ....

I`m not gona buy Nk-Ml cells ever again ...
__________________
Any driver can copy a great set up, a Champion however will steal it .
If Jesus returned as a Rc car he be a Rc10 B5M
George W. Cherry
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #208
Tech Fanatic
 
Scrubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 834
Default

fitting issues is not a mute point. They don't fit 1/12th scale, 1/10 oval, several touring cars and off-road cars - all by manufacturers that supported the rules and designed there cars around them.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #209
Tech Master
 
Orange's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 1,277
Default

If LiPo Technology is so "Advanced" why can't they figure out a way to make a 6.0 volt pack?
Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:29 AM   #210
Tech Master
 
hobbipro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 1,326
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

What offroad cars dont they fit in??
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIP Novak 5amp lipo regulator with volt monitor, NIP venom 1600mah lipo rx pack sharkman R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 06-10-2008 02:36 PM
LIPO CHARGER LIKE HYPERION AND LIPO BATTS AND MAYBE CHEAP 12TH SCALE jslider R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 1 02-16-2008 07:55 AM
FS TrakPower 7.4V 4900MAH Hardshell Lipo,TrakPowerBalancer,TrinityReference 4500 Lipo ffpm46 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 01-29-2008 06:11 PM
Lipo legalization Patriiick Singapore R/C Racers 10 01-18-2008 03:49 AM
Pg 2 on Complete Sellout Motor rebuild Orion Lipo, peak Lipo 4800 and more gunlocators R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 18 10-08-2007 02:11 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:40 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net