R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is the next question and I am glad someone chimed on it.....it isnt about Li-Po taking over (it will) it's about allowing them in the first place. If people dont stand for li-po's now, it aint gonna happen. With Asia and Europe adapting less than 6 cell for Mod, that knocks li-po out the box. With the influence they have on the American market and everyone jumping on the 5 cell bandwagon, what do you sub c people expect? Some of us like the length of nitro races and prefer electric. I beg any of you sub c people to show me ONE instance of a car getting 20 minutes with a sub c pack with a HOT motor. Man, you people have the vision of a cavebat.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #167
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hey bx you causing trouble again, lol. whats up buddy.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #168
Tech Fanatic

you know what knocks lipo "out of the box"? The lack of standard size and capacity. If the the lipo bandwagon would have agreed to a standard from the beginning, it would have become more popular. You see, the standard of the nicd/nimh is what has kept them the preferred choice for 3 decades. Their really isn't much difference from a 6 cell Nicd 1200sc battery from the days of 1/12 electric pan cars from the beginning of electric racing to todays nimh 4300 batteries. They still have the same shape, near the same size (slightly larger today), and are the same rated voltage. The manufacturers of the car kits have designed the chassis around the size, weight, and the positioning of the six individual cells (stick packs for off-road, saddle packs for on-road).

Had the lipo band wagon worked together and agreed to use cells that were compatable with saddle pack and stick pack configured vehicles, that had the same capacity between the two, they would have had a great shot at greater acceptance. But, that wasn't the case, the lipo guys all scrambled for the highest capacity batteries that were avaliable to upwards of 8000mah. Of coarse those battereis don't fit in every vehicle do they? So the best examples of the batteries that you guys are pushing are really only compatable for certain vehicles. You want Lipo to become popular? Start a national parking lot touring car sanctioning organization that focuses on one particular Lipo capacity and voltage.

The parking lot racers that made touring car popular in the first place were intrested in cheap, low maintaince fun.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #169
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb
Everybody else just wanted you to follow the rules and race with a legal battery.

Legal, or just plain outdated?

Do you still listen to 8-tracks and rent VHS tapes, too? You're a trip, Scrubb. Considering your avatar, I'd think you'd be FOR anything that furthers the battle against the invading nitro mass of morons.

Cling to your old batteries like they are made of gold, and you'll be left with them, AM radios and brushed motors with soldered-on capacitors.

You can keep 'em.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #170
Tech Fanatic

I'm a racer, I follow the rules so I can race, the rules have never implied that they are to keep the racers up to date with the most current technology. I like Lipo batteries, they just are not legal for racing. I have owned a lipo battery and see nothing special about them. In fact, I find it amusing the way you guys make such a big deal about the complicated maintaince rituals of nimh battery care. After a days racing, I leave my year and half old IB3800's in my car and pit box in various states of charge. Sometimes I leave my equipment packed up in my car outside in the cold. When Get back to the track the next time, I simply repeak them and run them. I run the same packs multiple times a day. I do quite well for myself with batteries that I purchased for $30 a pack. Its funny, for the price of a maxamps 6000mah lipo battery @ $99, I can get 3 Ib3800 packs for a total of 11,400 mah of Nimh battery for $90. Humm, the math tells me that my nimh batteries are cheaper for more capacity, despite what you preach to everybody. Not to mention I can charge two batteries in the pits while I'm running one on the track, where with that one 6000mah lipo pack, I can only run it till its depleated, then wait for the charger to charge a 6000mah battery at the same 6 amp rate, untill it reaches its 8.4 volts in which i have to wait additional charge time because the amp rates drops with lipo charging.

The Nitro popularity will burn itself out just like it did with 1/8th on-road before simpler, cheaper 1/12 scale electric on-road took over. Nitro is too expensive, complicated and requires too much track space (expensive property) to stay popular for any extended length of time.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #171
Tech Master

well scrubb, you just shot down your own arguement and avoided my comment altogether. Japan has one standard, Europe has another and the US is on the fence yet, the cars still have the 6 cell slot. So, you were saying something about standardizing? li-Po packs may not fall into one category size wise, but if you think that sub c's are going to take us to the promised land, you are stuck in a time warp. The 80's called, they want their sub c's back!

Yea cheech, I am keeping dudes riled! Sub c=sub-standard cells. Admit it people, they are good for 6, 7, 8 minutes. What the heck is that? My Cyclone would slap me if I ran for that short a timespan.

And on the note of 3 packs of 3800's, dont forget battery bars, dischargers, solder. One good hit, something is coming lose and dont act like its never happened. Scrubb, get a clue and come on in. It aint too late. You say run one pack until its depleted? I have ran my pack as long as 45 minutes...F-O-R-T-Y F-I-V-E M-I-N-U-T-E-S! I have to spell it out for you because you seem to be hooked on phonics. Two Li-po packs will last me a weekend, and I can leave my charger at home.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #172
Tech Fanatic

what in the hell do I care what the Europeans and the Asian r/c racing organizations are doing? Thats like saying Americans are no longer going to race monster trucks because they don't do that in Europe and Asia. If the rules get changed I'll follow them.

You guys don't even have a clue. Me and the rest of the racers that are intrested in organized sanctioned racing will run lipo batteries if the rules allow us to. You guys keep yelling and screaming to make lipo legal, but you don't even say which lipo to make legal! 3.7 volts, 7.4 volts, 11.1 volts, 3200mah, 4800mah, 4900mah, 6000mah, 8000mah, kokam cells, generic cells, 1 cell, 2 cells parallel, 3 cells parallel, size dimentions. The problem is that you guys are not organized and your not racing. Last 2 nationals I attended, I didn't hear a single person mention anything about a lipo battery. Guess the lipo bandwagon just dosen't have any representation at the sanctioned races so why make them legal? In fact, at the last pro series race I went to, my friend was the only one using a Lipo battery. It was even kinda funny, he took advantage of the pathetic, quickly made rules that limit the lipo battery capacity to 4300mah. He simply peeled off the 8000mah label, since there was no rule stating that the manufacturers rating label be required on the battery, who could argue the capacity of the battery without size and weight standards and rules, ha ha. what a joke.

You know what you guys need to do. Since you beleive in Lipo so badly, start up your own racing organization and see how many people you get to join. I would love to race a parking lot touring car series that had a 4800 lipo and 5.5 brushless rule.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #173
Tech Regular

I imagine the best part was that he spent most of his time worring about the setup on the car than whether the batteries were peaked or not. he he.

havy
havy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #174
Tech Elite

any lipo
i like 7.4 but whatever
if lipo was legal id run tc
and if they can figure out how to do a 4cell size lipo id run it in 1/12
and any BL motor too not just certain motor manufactures
like why is the mamba not legal anyways.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #175
Tech Fanatic

I heard the mamba is not legal because of the winding pattern of the field coils (Delta vs. wye), although I could be wrong.

Both Lipo and NiMh users have been using Peak-chargers for quite a while now Havy, Just push the button and it shuts off when the batteries are peaked, I don't think too many people worry about peaked batteries these days.

One good hit to a Lipo can damage the pack as well, so that is a completely invalid comment, Bx. You can leave your charger at home, but do you? Tell the truth. You peak the battery off between runs like the rest of the lipo users right?
Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #176
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKExXjFAQz4

This video pretty much sums it up. The pack of sheep, following the crowd, scared of being different.

You guys follow your sanctioned racing rules, leave it up to us to sort things out and determine your future in racing. But if you're not going to contribute, then STFU and let us figure out.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #177
Tech Regular

Actually the mamba controller is legal, the prob is the motor winds as Scrub says.

I know from my friends that run nimh that they would worry about peaking the batteries right before the race, but your right, don't know if that is done anymore w/ the new batteries. The lipos I can charge the night before and race (if we still raced electric down here). After the race I will definitely charge again unless I ran a 8000 pack, then only after the usual 2 qualifies we used to run, so it was charged for the main.

havy
Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 PM   #178
Tech Regular

Hey syndrome, regardless of the context, that is definitely a funny video

havy
Old 05-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #179
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubb
I heard the mamba is not legal because of the winding pattern of the field coils (Delta vs. wye), although I could be wrong.

Both Lipo and NiMh users have been using Peak-chargers for quite a while now Havy, Just push the button and it shuts off when the batteries are peaked, I don't think too many people worry about peaked batteries these days.

One good hit to a Lipo can damage the pack as well, so that is a completely invalid comment, Bx. You can leave your charger at home, but do you? Tell the truth. You peak the battery off between runs like the rest of the lipo users right?
Scrubb, for 6000 mah, you can only hit it at 6 amps and it wont make a real dent. Trust me. I leave my charger at home. Less clutter. I may take it, peak it in the car and thats it. With Li-po, the difference in hitting the pack for 20 minutes isnt all that noticeable. I prefer to run the battery for at least 4 races. And for the good hit, read back some posts ago....I have had this same MaxAmps pack, and when my Pro4 got run over, no flames, no puffing and the battery is still going strong.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #180
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

SyndrOme-- You tell'em dude!

Scub-
Quote:
When Get back to the track the next time, I simply repeak them and run them. I run the same packs multiple times a day. I do quite well for myself with batteries that I purchased for $30 a pack.
This statement sums you up man. Your living in a dreamed world. What a joke! Don't worry, Lipo won't affect you in the least! LMAO
gezer2u is offline   Reply With Quote