R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

CLEAN , QUITE......................FASTER!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Look, I dont like offroad. But I know that when I ran it we got a hell of a lot more runs then 6 out of our tires.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlford
Look, I dont like offroad. But I know that when I ran it we got a hell of a lot more runs then 6 out of our tires.
It depends and the track, what class you run and how you drive. In my area our off roead tracks are clay but they might as well be poured concrete. If you get a decent turn our they blue groove but there is just enought dust on them that slicks wont work.

You run one run. Swap the rears left to right so you have driving edges again and run them once more. After that you have half as much forward bite as new tires. Even at club races you are at a huge disadvantage to guys running fresh kicks....and some guy is always running new tires.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
Also, race promotors have tried to limit the number of tires allowed at races like the Reedy, IIC etc... but when they did you all complained that you wanted more tires. So...you now have the ability to buy more tires.

At club races I can run a set of RP30's for ~6 runs before they fall off and get too slow to race. At the 2006 On Road Nats Rick Howart TQ the last round in Mod and set the fast time of the week on 2nd run tires.
Interesting, BRCA Nationals now limit tyres to two sets from the 3 sets allowed last year.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Used to race electric off-road years ago, got bored of untangling grass from drive shafts and general cleaning.

2005 started back in RC with 1/8 Off-Road and TC.

Within a couple of months I knew that TC was for me, in Nitro the cars had to be tuned as the day went on and I was lucky if I finished 60% of my races (partly my fault with maintenance.)

Got sick of cleaning out the castor oil/grass/dirt/mud mixture that fills the inside of the car and having to rely on a second person to help refuel etc. The actual racing was fun, it was all the surrounding crap that goes along with it.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 05:42 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristaTM

Hello, I'm a new comer of the R/C,
I'd really like to know the reason why you guys choose the electric in-road, not the nitro or off-road cars.
My cosideration is quite simple, just clean and quiet, while I want to learn more about your professional opinion, thanks a lot.

hope this Q posted here is suitable
Well I think you'll find that the longer you're in R/C the more you'll get into other parts of the hobby. Today you might be into electric onroads, but a year from now you might want to try your hand at nitro offroad, or electric boats, etc

I personally started out with an electric R/C which I believe everyone should, and then after many years of that I decided to get my first nitro. Well my first nitro was a bit of a letdown (anyone who's had the nightmare of trying to start a Cox .049 engine knows what I mean), but I did eventually get really into it when I bought my second nitro (RC10GT). After quite some time having fun with nitro cars I decided I didn't want to put up with the fuss and went back to electric. However the lure of a gas powered engine was still with me, so I eventually went on to buy a large scale gasoline powered buggy. I still have that R/C but I've found that I still love electrics too, and recently bought a TA04.

As for the choice of onroad/offroad. I've had both and they both are great for different reasons. Some people just prefer one over the other, while I like both.
quick5pnt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There are only electric tracks on Long Island. Also electric cars don't create pollution.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #38
J_P
Tech Addict

I have several electric powered cars. They are all fun, in their own way. I have a background in dirt. So, I like Off-Road. I run, in order of fun, Truck, 4wheel Mod, and buggy. I run Touring as well. It is nice in the spring when the weather is iffy. Too muddy, On-Road is good to go. This past winter I tried 1/12 on carpet. I had a lot of fun with that as well. Overall rating: Truck, 4wheel, 1/12th, Touring, buggy.