R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-26-2001, 10:51 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Orion to ship brushless motor

I almost didnt believe this myself when I got the word directly from Team Orion that they will be shipping a brushless motor in January. For complete details visit:
http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...&articleid=384

-Kerry
KerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 11:35 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Cool, at least now we know more than one RC Car related manufacturer has taken notice of the BL motors! They kept it a secret really well, and it should be out before Novaks. That really makes Novak look like there slacking a bit.
WailinOnYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 05:48 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think that motor is designed for the RS4 Micro, and not 1/10th Touring cars. That would fall in line with all the other products (ESC etc.) that Orion is making for the Micro.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 06:28 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

Now that doesn't make any sence.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 06:43 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

GM Racing is selling brushless car motors plus the necessary speed control for over 2 years now, what's the big deal?

Novak didn't invent this technology neither are they the first ones to sell it.

GM Racing
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 07:44 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

Quote:
Originally posted by Geppetto
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I think that motor is designed for the RS4 Micro, and not 1/10th Touring cars. That would fall in line with all the other products (ESC etc.) that Orion is making for the Micro.

I don't think the Vortex is a Micro product. It should have Micro printed on it. I dunno?
Old 11-27-2001, 08:18 AM   #7
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

stefan: thats just the way people here in the US look at things. This is a perfect example of why companies know that advertising in RC Car Action will equal business. The GM-racing and Avoex and all the other brushless systems out there don't really exist in most poeple's minds, because their not advertised in that magazine!

To the average "joe-racer" out there, Novak will be the originator of brushless technology! They will have revolutionized the idea! Why??? Because that will be the first company to mass avertise it in Car Action.

And because Novak is a major advertiser in the mag, I seriously doubt that Car Action will do anything to show people that the technology has been here all along.

The same thing happened when the TC3 came out. Remember, Associated was the one who came up with the whole "shaft drive" thing. Never mind that Tenth Tech and Tamiya had been doing it for about 8 years at that point. The average "joe-racer" figured Associated came up with a new idea because they mass advertised it in Car Action.

So stefan don't worry about the way people are reacting to this stuff. No matter what you say or do, to most of them, Novak and Orion are developing something new and amazing!

Just remember guys, that if you really want a BL motor system right now, you can have one. You don't have to wait for Orion or Novak. The technology is already here, dispite what Car Action would have you believe.

Last edited by Darkseid; 11-27-2001 at 10:11 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 08:24 AM   #8
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

Darkside: I couldn't have put it better myself. At least both you and I are better informed!!!!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 08:58 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You can go out and buy a brushless system today if you wish. Brushless setups have been around for at least 10 years. Problem is that they work best for full throttle applications, ie. insane speed runs. Novak is trying to fix the inconsistent mid-throttle and braking characteristics of the brushless system. That is why the are coming out with a new brushless speed control to go with their brushless motor. They are apparently still trying to get it right. Anyone can build a brushless motor and throw it out on the market.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 09:02 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Smash,

I say it again, GM is selling exactly that for 2 years now, a special car motor with a speed control designed for car applications.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:09 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Dave Kurschner
Default Who's the innovator?

I agree with Jack Smash. It's not necessarily the inventor of a technology, but instead its the implementation of that technology that brings props to a company. Brushless motors have been around for a very long time. In fact, there is little chance that anybody in the RC industry had anything to do with the invention of it. But instead, it takes somebody to "take the bull by the horns" to change a standard or revolutionize something. If brushless motors become accepted for racing and they take over our current motors, and Novak is responsible for creating the shift, then they deserve the tag of being the innovators.

Novak has been working to make a speedo that standardizes and governs performance of brushless motors to make them apply better to RC racing. Their speedos have a switch on them. It toggles between STOCK and MODIFIED. So everybody would have the same type of motor/speedo combo and they would just have to choose which setting to run based on their class. What a great idea. I don't know if they invented it but again if they spearhead the project, then they deserve the credit. Also, wouldn't you like to run only one battery for a race night? Or have the option of running a 20 or 30 minute main? All possible with brushless motors.

Just like AE, they put alot of effort into maximizing shaft drives performance on a TC that handles well. They did wonders to eliminate most all of the ill effects that shaft driven cars have had up to that point. AE applied an existing technology but implemented it better than any other company had up to that point for racing purposes.

Just another way of looking at it
Dave Kurschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:22 AM   #12
Regional Moderator

stefan: I told you that you were wasting you time. No matter WHAT you say, unless major companies(read:companies that advertise in Car Action) come out with something, the technology is not perfect yet.

THERE ARE BRUSHLESS MOTOR SYSTEMS OUT THERE RIGHT NOW THAT ARE DESIGN SPECIFICALLY FOR NON-FULL THROTTLE RACING!!!

But..................it wont be perfect until Novak comes out with it. You can add Orion to this too. If Orion gets theres out before Novak does, Novak fanboys will still say "Novak is taking their time to get it perfect". Orion could come out with the perfect system, and get it out the door first and I gaurantee you that Novaks system will still be view as the best system. Why?????

because they can put $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ into advertising.

Its just the way things are.

So stefan, I say if people want to believe that BL technology revolves around whenever Novak FINALLY gets their system out the door. Let them......Thats their choice.......

.....but, your not going to be able to change their minds.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:34 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Last I saw Orion was a pretty decent advertiser in RC Car Action. Granted ModelTech shipped their BL motor months ago but it is very difficult to get in the U.S. and they do not do any advertising here in the states. I know several people with them and they are pretty decent. I fully suspect Orion wouldn't ship something without it being a good product. Will Novak's product be any better? Only time will tell.
KerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 10:36 AM   #14
Regional Moderator

Dave: Just on a side note. We have all seen various products, rules changes, and specific classes in RC that promised to make every motor equal and level the playing field. Novaks toggle switch between Stock and Mod is just the newest one.

Its a great idea on paper, but so were all the others. And none of those ever worked. Will, Novaks work? Maybe. But, as long as you have different companies making the same type of product, one will always be better than the other. So will Novak's stock setting be the same as Orions stock setting(if they choose to include such a feature)? Will theirs be the same as GM and Avoex? You see where I going here. Novaks system may work like its supposed to if everyone runs Novaks system, but come on, really, whats the chance of that happening.

If Novak's systems does do well here in the states, other companies will follow suit. And honestly, whats the chance that Reedy, Trinity, Orion, Novak, GM, Avoex, and all other companies out there who might decide to make one of these systems, will all make them the same power specs? Not much of a chance if you ask me.

So for all this stuff about the "stock or mod switch", it will probably go down in history as just another idea to "level the playing field" that didn't work. Just like the stock motor. That idea to level the playing field turned out really well didn't it.

But, I'm naturally pesimistic, so maybe it will turn out like you hope it will. I'm just saying that competition between companies tends to doom good ideas like the "stock" motor and "stock or mod. switch"

Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2001, 10:41 AM   #15
Regional Moderator

Dave: I forgot to mention that I do get your point about the innovator. I do however believe that its wrong for publications like Car Action to "re-write" history for those who are uninformed.

For those who are uninformed, Associated came out with a totally new idea. But, the fact is that Tenth Tech had what I consider a very competitive car that seemed to optimise the shaft just as much as the TC3. Just ask the people in Austrailia, since many of them still run the car.

Car Action also stated things like HPI had the first true purpose built racing TC. The fact is that Yokomo had a racing TC well before the RS4 was a twinkle in HPI's eye! Yes HPI helped spread the TC craze to the masses here in the U.S., but that still doesn't mean that RCCA should "re-write" history the way they see fit.

I think we must keep a small place in our minds and especially in publication for the true innovators of something. Not just those who took the idea and ran with it.

Last edited by Darkseid; 11-27-2001 at 10:45 AM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote