R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You need to seal the surface to reduce weather wear. regardless of traction issues.
I agree you do not want to seal more often then needed. If you do not seal you will watch the top layer wash away have exposed rock or shell depending upon were you are located.

MMR Track grip builds rubber on the track, adds grip and side bite, does not wash off like sugar. Many tracks apply compound every week. We usually reapply every 4th or 5th race weekend. dependent only on reduced traction/laptimes.

Ft Myers ran some last race. They still have a bit too high of tire wear. Most likley from the sand in the sealer done last summer. Lap times were back were they needed to be.

One of the big gains is that if you do have a shower you are back racing on a good track sooner.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to smitty2802

Mike that track has plenty of grip with the nitro racing on it... you don't need any additive on it.

It still has pollen on it so i was told... once that is off and you get warm weather and nitro on the track it will be fine...

-DC-
Old 05-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the club has some $$ or a friend that works for an asphalt company you can get the surface re-steam rolled.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:22 PM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Where can you get MMR track grip? Is MMR as in Much more racing?

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #20
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Tracks and hobbyshops can purchase directly from Molzer Mowery Racing.

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

wow! That must be good stuff!!

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:47 PM   #22
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

we live in az already 100 plus degrees here, blow off with leaf blower and the sugar water, let dry for about 30 min in this heat, can be sealed oncwe a year with stuff from home depot, cant really do anything about rhytm section unles patch that section
i am cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaner24
Fixed. Mike you have a message.
.. nice editing Zane, thats more like it.

Mike- I didn't tell you we needed the track sprayed. You asked what other tracks used and I told you grape soda. Also, sent you a PM. -Ky
KyLayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
JKA
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
If the club has some $$ or a friend that works for an asphalt company you can get the surface re-steam rolled.
This is what is really needed at the mountwood facility. The facility is awesome and the people even better, but the track itself is too bumpy. SpeedyBill did an awesome job fixing the backstraight, but the infield still has too many issues. I gather that its because of the settlement issues on the top of that mountain, which in turn might be why resurfacing the track the Correct way with a thin layer of new asphalt isn't worth the cost. I dunno if land settlement/shifting is still an active issue.

The tell tale sign that a bumpy track is still an issue is the lack of Nitro TC turnout. The heavier nitro cars really suffer from those bumps. If the track was "re-paved" I'd sell all my new dirt racing gear and run my MTX4 up there every weekend I could.

But since I doubt thats a solution that can or will be taken, my only suggestion would be to NOT use sand or at least not those tiny plastic
agents used last year in the sealant. Tire wear was ridiculously high, and that stuff just kicks up into the corners anyway.

Hope to see you guys a few times this summer!
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Thankx for the 'flowers'
yes I have spent countless hours, [also countless sunburns!] attempting to making the 'Mount' a better smoother race track, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, or so Dad usta say, the current surface ranges from less than 2" to 3" or 4", the top of the hill still has issues of movement, which can play havoc on the track surface, it is way too thin to repave, we have discussed many times with many 'experts' in paving & basically there isn't any way to do what really needs to be done, REPAVE! and I'm not sure if the Club is willing to sink $$$ in a track 20 minutes from town, it is a wonderful facility, we have resealed the track 3 times in 7 years, surely not too much, traction at the beginning of the race year is lacking, but with time & races it comes around, a heavy race day will leave you looking to get rid of traction, and yes it is somewhat 'bumpy', run it loose and soft!!! I still run my ole NTC-3 when I get some competition, and yes I run 6mm ride height on my elec tc, but I am glad I have such a nice place to race, fairly close to town, and I have FUN!!!

The Club will continue to seek to improve their racing facility, I won't say anymore.
Thankx, Speedy

ps I think the Mount is smoother than an area carpet track some of you raced this year!!! Love ya, mean it!!! and pleaze, no more Olive branches!!!
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

"Olive Branches" Funny!!!

Thanks for the suggestions and discussion. this really helps to make our racing facility better!!

The mount is an old track. We were told a Steam roller would do more damage than help. The asphalt is 25 yrs old and is only 2-4 inches think in most places. Bill did a lot of work to try and fix a few of the bad spots. We may, if we can get the help try and fix a few of the spots before the Champs race in July. But, as with anything we will need help to do this.

In years past we had more Nitro guys show up and race then Electric. Now we have only a handful of Nitro showing up, thus the reason we may have traction issues longer into the summer.

As for JKA not running his Nitro car...all I can say is scared! What is not to love about a two foot jump down the back stretch. Also the sparks at night are way cool!!
Racer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:16 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Soda is ok....but it crystalizes when it gets humid out....Not a good thing.....Especially at dusk......Which means no traction

Awesomatix USA/ Side Piece Racing / TQ Wire / CR Graphics / R1 Wurks / LRP /Jackson RC Raceway / Horsham RC Raceway/Brownies Hobbies
Al Sodano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sodano
Soda is ok....but it crystalizes when it gets humid out....Not a good thing.....Especially at dusk......Which means no traction
Pure sugar water can crystalize. Soda will never crystalize. There is more sugar in 2L of soda than could normally be disolved in that volume of water. The carbonic acid created by the disolved CO2 and other chemical stabilizers present in all brands of soda are in the bottle to prevent the precipitation of sugar crystals while the soda is on the shelf in stores.

These same compounds inhibit sugar crystal formation on spilled soda and soda sprayed on a track.

You can test it yourself. At lunch today put a drop of soda on your dashboard. At the end of the day you will find a dry sticky spot...not sugar crystals.

The compounds in a 2L bottle of soda are strong enough for inhibit crystal formation in a 5Gal to 5lb sugar water batch.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:59 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Well then we must be on the surface of the moon in Jackson NJ becasue soda crystallizes there at dusk almost every time we use soda.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:09 AM   #30
JKA
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer4Life
What is not to love about a two foot jump down the back stretch.
The 2x10 at the very end. lol

I figure my Nitro TC will be the only thing I run up there this summer Tom. I can't figure out which electric TC class I would like to run or belong in for that matter.

Sounds like the movement on that hill really makes any major fixes a waste. My only suggestion then would be to spend less time on the gatorpatch stuff and maybe just try to work the layouts around the bumps. A couple of average bumps in bad locations last year made the track very tough. Plus if you do this then Speedy won't get sunburned.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote