R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 PM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin
As they approach the setpoint an intelligent pulse charge is applied as needed. Tekin Prez
So as some of us posted... it does charge to maintain set point as needed.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #32
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Pike
Ha ha....wonder who you're talking about. Funny the picture of the nurse also seem....familiar!?
Hey, hey....hey....hey.....stop it....stop it. -Peter Griffin; Family Guy-

LOL! I have a Nurse sticker on my Micro-T...makes it faster.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #33
Team Tekin

The point is that it does not charge the batteries.

If you hook a battery to a dc voltage it will be forced to equal that voltage. IF the DC supply voltage is below the natural resting voltage it will discharge the cells. If the DC supply voltage is above the natural resting voltage the cells will be charged. If the DC supply voltage is equal to the resting voltage there is no charge or discharge. When the battery tries to go below the voltage even the slightest amount there is a delta in voltage and current does flow. However there is never a meaningful delta in voltage because unless the batteries are bad the voltages must be equal.

So Cookie monster is right in the sense that there is no charge. The voltage is just held constant. If the batteries are good it does not take any real power to accompish this other than making up for selfdischarge.

The pulse charge I refer to is perhaps misleading and poor word choice. If the battery is above the setpoint we allow it to float, if the battery is below the setpoint we force it to hold the voltage. Some batteries bounce around a little and we 'pulse' in reaction to it. So the pulse charge is really more of a pulse hold. The voltage hold is however by definition a charge if the battery needs to be held up continuously.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Voltage/current going in is a charge... I realize its not going to charge the cell significantly but my point is that when the cell goes below set point some voltage is applied to raise the voltage... or... it charges the cell slightly to raise the voltage.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think, in terms of simplicity, it is best to say that the Nurse doesn't 'charge' your cells, cause you all know, someone will expect it to, if you say it does.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #36
Tech Adept

Is this product only for 6 cells pack or it can manage 5 or 4 cells packs too?
tomislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

It can manage 4 cell 5.2V, 5.4V
5cell 6.5V, 6.7V
6cell 7.8V, 8.0V
Zken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Initial response to the product? Great idea and will save my NiMh packs from killing themselves while I race once a month.

HOWEVER... I was shocked to see the price of this thing. Yes, this is what NiMh battery packs have come to. To me, the whole she-bang isn't worth the time, effort, maintenance and money for casual racers (read: not high level racers).

Between my chargers, power supplies, dischargers, equalizers, wet nurses and the temperamental battery packs themselves, I'm pretty much done with "normal" battery packs for my regular racing program. If a track or event I plan to attend doesn't allow LiPos, then I won't be participating. I'm so tired of the current crop of NiMh cells, it's ridiculous.

The Battery Nurse is a great idea and another likely quality product from Tekin, but for $160, I could buy two new Orion Carbons and never have to worry about high maintenance batteries again.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Anyone and everyone is welcome to comment about the Battery nurse, but for any quality product it comes at a price.

Development, reseach, testing and components all come at a price too. And so do matched sets of cells.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team
Anyone and everyone is welcome to comment about the Battery nurse, but for any quality product it comes at a price.

Development, reseach, testing and components all come at a price too. And so do matched sets of cells.

Right, but is it a product you need? It's a CHARGER to maintain a voltage level on a battery pack that isn't used more than once every week or two.

I'm reminded of the good ol' days of SCE 1700s...

The truth is these cells have become so high maintenance, and all of the crap you "NEED" to take care of these packs has become so overwhelming and unnecessary, and COSTLY, that we're all duped into thinking that if we don't babysit these things every week, that they will be rendered completely useless. If another $160 for a battery pack babysitter is something you want to spend your money on, then rock on. Personally, I think the amount of peripherals needed for today's battery packs is a waste of money, time and space, and this adds to it.

I'd rather see Tekin focused on getting it's new brushless ESCs and motors to market instead.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 AM   #41
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Searles

I think it is a great product, and once you stick your packs in there it gives you one less thing to worry about. For those racers who have several race packs, it makes it very handy to just put them in and forget about it.

I am not even going to get in to the Nurse charges/does not charge argument. All we need to care about it that it holds the voltage of the battery, ie, helps prevent cell "aging". I do think, like Cookie Montser said, regardless of opinion it needs to be understood that the Nurse is not designed to be a charger, it is a battery maintenance tool.

Like said, you may hear some negative comments from the battery companies, since it really does help your cells last longer....which is actually taking money out of their hands.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #42
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed
Initial response to the product? Great idea and will save my NiMh packs from killing themselves while I race once a month.

HOWEVER... I was shocked to see the price of this thing. Yes, this is what NiMh battery packs have come to. To me, the whole she-bang isn't worth the time, effort, maintenance and money for casual racers (read: not high level racers).

Between my chargers, power supplies, dischargers, equalizers, wet nurses and the temperamental battery packs themselves, I'm pretty much done with "normal" battery packs for my regular racing program. If a track or event I plan to attend doesn't allow LiPos, then I won't be participating. I'm so tired of the current crop of NiMh cells, it's ridiculous.

The Battery Nurse is a great idea and another likely quality product from Tekin, but for $160, I could buy two new Orion Carbons and never have to worry about high maintenance batteries again.
This is a more then fair comment on the issues with todays batteries - I feel that one of the things that is hurting electric TC is this battery care regime that is escalating in price and time. If I am in the business of developing and selling brushless motors and ESC's, I would be pushing hard for the adoption of Lipo technology in this hobby, because the benefits of the brushless motor sytems will still be negated by the problems and expense of the current battery rules for electric TC.

I am holding back buying any brushless system, and any new battery devices until I have a better idea of the direction of this hobby. Caring for the current crop of batteries is to much work and having to buy new ones after a few races is getting to expensive. I do all my practice with my Orion Lipo cells and have been very pleased with the performance and ease of maintenance - I know that this is the direction this hobby needs to go if it is going to grow in the future, I think this is one of the main reasons when I pick up a RC Magazine that the majority of the stories are dedicated to nitro. If the hobby doesn't progress towards lipo batteries - well, I may end up getting off this train also.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:37 PM   #43
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was told by 'The Prez' that the components in the nurse cost the same as an ESC....

As for the cells, batteries have ALWAYS had to be cared for, careless, the only 'robust' ones were the Sanyo SCR series, but I think if they were about now, we would be doing the same things to them. So you can't realy moan that Tekin have released a product to keep your expensive cells in good condition between uses.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
I was told by 'The Prez' that the components in the nurse cost the same as an ESC....

As for the cells, batteries have ALWAYS had to be cared for, careless, the only 'robust' ones were the Sanyo SCR series, but I think if they were about now, we would be doing the same things to them. So you can't realy moan that Tekin have released a product to keep your expensive cells in good condition between uses.
I will only speak for myself - I think it is great that Tekin came out with this product, I only wish it was 18 months ago. The cost of the product is fair when you consider its claim that it can help preserve the performance of your cells, especially if you have periods in the year you are not racing.

The point of my comments are as follows; since using the Orion lipo batteries, I have a new appreciation for the way our hobby can / should be when it comes to battery maintenance and cost.

History shows us the steam motor system for automobiles was refined, right to the end, but in the end the over whelming convience and performance of the gasoline combustion engine was far to great and consumers never looked back, especially taking into considering all the work / time it took to operate a steam powered car.

No moaning - just stating the obvious - we all know that the current sub C cells are an outdated technology, when compared to current lipo battery technology and the current sub C batteries will go the way of the steam powered car - The sooner the better in my opinion. The change will help our hobby stay current and foster new growth. A good company like Tekin should be very excited about the promise of possible new growth.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:20 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst

The GP3700 was the best cell we've used in the last 15 years. Everything over 3800s since then has been a glass egg and required a lot of attention. The current 4200s are by FAR the most temperamental cells we've had in a LONG time. The amount of maintenance these packs need weekly (if you don't race a lot) is a pain. If it weren't for a few classes clinging to the anti-lipo mentality, I'd be selling all of my NiMh packs forever.

No harping on Tekin for releasing new products to help and improve what we have to work with—I just feel that the "need" for things like this is overblown and overhyped. If we really do need products like this to maintain and care for our battery packs, then maybe there is something really wrong with our current battery technology.