R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

send chocolate chip muffins to company reps. they love that. lol.
harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:39 AM   #47
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSteve93
This it the first time I have seen it posted.
I guess I spend way too much time in here... Or you spend too much time in the Willis thread... hahahaha....
Old 05-10-2007, 07:51 AM   #48
Tech Champion

Being supported by a company gives you a certain degree of responsibility. Some companys may ask you to go to bigger events, others may not have any restriction on where you race.

One key element you need is to be philosophical, if you're having a bad day, keep smiling. Walk away from BS too, I dont give people the satisfaction of getting into it now, you soon learn that when racing. There's always plenty of other clubs to choose from when it goes sour.

I also don't believe in keeping secrets about car setup, if you're hiding something it shows you're weak anyway, the real deal is how you can wheel a car, anyone can copy a setup down to the last mm or pinion gear

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

The first thing to realise is that being sponsored means far more than getting free or discounted products.

I'm now in my second year of sponsorship with one of the major distributors over here in the UK. I was 6th in the UK 19t tc and mod 12th scale nationals last year, and I feel the deal I have is representative of my ability at the moment.

I have a 'B-team' deal, which equates to a pretty good discount on all the stuff I buy from them. However, don't be fooled into thinking that having a sponsorship deal of any kind will make your racing any cheaper. I have found that my outlay has increased significantly since I've had some backing.

I have found that being sponsored has given my racing more purpose. I am representing several companies and brands, so it's important that I conduct myself in a manner that makes me seem approachable to other drivers. With the responsibility of representing a brand comes that bit of added pressure too. Even if it isnt specified, you feel as if you need to deliver, especially at the bigger meetings, and this adds a slightly more serious edge to my racing.

As a result of the above, I tend to have more equipment now than I did before. If I'm getting a motor half price, I'll more often than not buy two, instead of pocketing the saving. I also feel as though I should buy the latest products that my sponsor is selling. After all, what use am I to them if I'm running a motor that has been replaced with a newer version? (even if theres nothing wrong with the original!)

Bear all this in mind when applying for sponsorship. Good results aren't everything, but they do help. There isnt one attribute that in itself will get you a deal. I have known several drivers in the past that have found it hard to get a sponsorship deal, despite being very talented and having good results underneath them. In contrast, I've seen many less able drivers get deals because they are friendly, helpful and have a wealth of product knowledge.

Don't worry though, it's not all doom and gloom! I do actually enjoy representing the companies who sponsor me. It's something I'm very proud of, and I consider it a prevelidge to be able to represent the various companies/brands who sponsor me.

Finally, if you're going to buy a new car, make sure it's a hot-bodies moorespeed cyclone. Run Orion or Nosram electrics in it, with Edit aftermarket upgrades. If you use foam tyres it's got to be GRP, and for tools use hudy; there's nothing better. I can also recommend TiR's excellent products and Microtech Racing's (UK shop) excellent service!

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #50
Tech Regular

So has the sponsorship made you sleep more or less at race meetings?
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #51
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robfo
So has the sponsorship made you sleep more or less at race meetings?
Thats just my way of showing how relaxed and easy going I am, Rob. It also shows how rubbish you must be if I can be asleep at my desk for half of the meeting, wake up just before my run and still manage to beat you.

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:38 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles
Finally, if you're going to buy a new car, make sure it's a hot-bodies moorespeed cyclone. Run Orion or Nosram electrics in it, with Edit aftermarket upgrades. If you use foam tyres it's got to be GRP, and for tools use hudy; there's nothing better. I can also recommend TiR's excellent products and Microtech Racing's (UK shop) excellent service!
Your forgetting Nobbys Pillow shop.... great for thoose mid meeting naps
Old 05-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

You forgot to add Hara and mirage....

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #54
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
What happened to just having fun in this hobby???
People that are having fun aren't on the internet talking about racing or sponsorship?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This may be an urban legend but I heard that Chris Goetz smeared bacon grease on his body and did naked cartwheels down the straight at The Gate. Thats how he got sponsored.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #56

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You don't want to know what I had to do to get on here with Brood....I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it..
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #57
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tcian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
This may be an urban legend but I heard that Chris Goetz smeared bacon grease on his body and did naked cartwheels down the straight at The Gate. Thats how he got sponsored.
now i did not see that but ive seen so pretty funny things out of chris
tcian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:11 AM   #58
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thats just my way of showing how relaxed and easy going I am, Rob. It also shows how rubbish you must be if I can be asleep at my desk for half of the meeting, wake up just before my run and still manage to beat you.
Good point well made!
Robfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:41 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

No offense, but being a top driver is not a good reason for deserving a sponsorship, although it is usually a good thing to have.

Often though sponsorship (just like everything else) is probably also about who you know.
Life isnt meant to be fair....

Also where do you get your stuff from? If your buying it from all the cheapest places on the net do you think someone else is gunna sponsor you when you have never been their customer?
craig mcphee ( WHERE'S MY BEER )
mangoman is offline   Reply With Quote