R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgullickson
Send off Resume's to the Companies you are interested on how you have done and placed and a pic of you and your car... Other than that hit some big races that some of the Companies attend.
I can agree with this.. best bet is too just be open and honest. If the company is looking for someone to represent them in your area, you don't need to be the next Rheinard, Moore or Hara, just have a good positive and professional attitude, both on and off the track.

I've attached a pdf example of my RC CV... as with any CV, keep it short and sweet, include all the information you can, but not BS.

And remember, the worst thing any company can say is no...

Regards
Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ed Clark RC CV 2.pdf (206.1 KB, 533 views)
Old 05-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I have found that angering people on the Internet, and insulting their business is a great way to get sponsored. It worked for me!

In all seriousness, I imagine it would benefit you to not seem eager to be sponsored. Just race, be humble and kind, and your results will speak for you. If I were looking to sponsor drivers, I would be put off by people that were clearly hanging on. You know the type, the guys that are all over the sponsored drivers, like they're man lovers or something. Or the guys that always go out of their way to talk to you, obviously hoping you'll notice them and offer them a spot on the team. Who wants to deal with that?

If you race, win, don't be a pest, conduct yourself like an adult and a professional, be kind to others, and don't annoy people, I can't see why you wouldn't get sponsored. Ultimately, those guys want the wins, but it's apparent many of them value the intangibles as well.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Little Mike,
Reading all the above makes great sense to me. My 2 sons are sponsored and this is the way they got their drives.
Jamie is 13 and has competed in BTCC rounds over here in the UK. Last winter he won a national juniour series and was also pole in the BRCA juniours and finished 2nd due to a bad ref call. He is currently sponsored by Schumacher and Team Scream UK / Team Express
Jason is 17 and has also competed in BTCC rounds , he was 5th in the BRCA juniours last year and finished very high in a national indoor series. Jason won a sponsorship with Mirage racing and Hot Bodies and was handed this by Andy Moore. He is currently sponsored by Mirage / Hot bodies and Team Scream UK / Team Express.
Jason very rarely raced at club level due to running the meetings. Jamie rarely races at club level due to reasons that I dont quite know (maybe because he's only 13)
Above all results and other factors regarding skill levels at this game I think the most important asset you can have is a good attitude and enjoyment of this hobby and be keen to help others even if it sometimes means you miss your own race which my children sometimes have.
Most of all , as I think someone posted above , enjoy your racing and dont get to concerned with results , project yourself proffessionally and you will soon get knocks on your door.
Good luck.
Sean
FTQ Models
Sean T Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Mike,

"Sponsored" sounds like a great thing, since it's almost like a status symbol. You know, because a guy must be good if he's sponsored, and people will look up to him. And that's true, if a guy is sponsored, he must be pretty good.

But there's some prestige to be found in being the "little guy," too. When you're sponsored, people expect you to win. When you don't, they say "I beat this sponsored guy." No matter how much you accomplish in racing, people will expect it, because you're sponsored. In some ways, it diminishes your racing accomplishments.

It's far more impressive when a privateer shows up and lays it down on a bunch of sponsored guys. It's like David vs. Goliath. And winning as David will always be more rewarding than winning as Goliath.

-Adam
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Should be some usefull info on this thread from a while back....

Sponsorship Thread
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Mike
Hello everyone, I am a racer who is seriously competive and is driving at the level of some local sponsored drivers at club races after only 1 year of being in the hobby. I have begun to get attention from other club drivers as "the next regional champ" someday. My question is, if im as about as good as some other sponsored drivers, why have I not been approached by a sponsor? I have begun going to regional points races and traveling to races for a while now.
It seems to me there is something I'm not doing to get sponsored. What else can i do???
You can ask your sponsorship with these guys : [email protected] , Team Brood Racing
15318 39TH AVE NE #101 :: Marysville WA 98271
Customer Support - (425)220-7818 (Monday-Thursday 9AM-7PM)

and there are more, ...... just look at the manual or boxes of your electronic equipments, there are manufacturer's 800 numbers.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgullickson
Send off Resume's to the Companies you are interested on how you have done and placed and a pic of you and your car... Other than that hit some big races that some of the Companies attend.

he has the right idea that is how i became a team driver
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

click here

You need to train hard....thats the only way to get anywhere
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #24
Tech Master

I'll give the Ernie quote...

"If you have to ask, you aren't ready"
Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I am sponsored by my dad. He helps me buy stuff, races with me and helps me get to the track every weekend. That is a good sponsor in my opinion . Anyway, I have tried to get sponsored by two companies. One was Fusion Power. It was the about a month before they were bought, and I never got a response. While I was waiting, I read over my resume, and knew that they really wanted a national or regional caliber driver. I was not it. Now I am closer to keeping up with the fast guys. Last Saturdays practice, I was on the same pace (a little faster too) as one of the fast guys at my track, until I had some pit problems . Anyway, I will be going to the Cleveland Indoor Carpet Champs this November. Going to a big race is the best way to get noticed. Even if you make the "B" you might get sponsored. Plus, I think it is easier for younger people(like me, I'm 13) to get sponsored, since there is still practice time and pleanty of time for you to get better. You might be a "C" driver now, but in a few years you will be maybe an "A" driver. And if companies get you while you are young and learning and have some skill, they will get you for cheaper and maybe give you a smaller discount because you are still learning. But companies should only give sponsorships to serious people.

-Steve
3rd place A-Main 1/12th scale champion at the Willis Hobbies Invitational
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Wear a dress in Vegas. Picked up two that way.....LOL
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
Wear a dress in Vegas. Picked up two that way.....LOL

Calvin Klein and Avon do not count!!!! LOL

Brant

My Carbon Footprint is Larger than Yours! :p
POOKYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:02 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

Dont forget to always have a Positive attitude even if you are not doing well, Companies will notice that more than anything.
dgullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to more$thanbrains

one way to get sponsered

COOKIES
more$thanbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 PM   #30
Tech Regular

well i should probably specify im not looking for the "complete hook up" sponsor, id be happy with free new bodies or motors and just having the status of team driver. Ill probably apply for Axiom since they are a local company.

But it is hard for me to go to big races since all the large races like las vegas and cleaveland are far away from Oregon. :

but hey gullickson, ill probably apply at the axiom site.

HB Cyclone Moore Speed WCE Edition - HB/BMI Cyclone(foam)
Team Magic G4RS pwered by EB mods and O.S. engines
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote