Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When Will The Capacity End?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default When Will The Capacity End?

Its quite intresting how batterys evolved over the years.
At first it was 1400's cap and over the years its moved up to 3300's cap.

Do think 3300 's is the maxium that companys are going to go for capacity size?

How much futher do you think the capacity will rise?

I am intrested in your responses.

Edward From CANADA
Old 04-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Skies the limit-well not really!!

But there are already higher capacity cells out there-just not suitable for RC racing-yet!! They either cannot handle the charge rate or discharge rates needed for our type of application.

I dont care what the Capacity is-the higher the better-especially for bashing, practice days and RTR vehicles!!! But I absolutely think for Racing we need to freeze the Capacity for another two years or so.

I mean-my 1.157 GP3300's are "practice packs" now. They used to be Killer Race packs!!! Now its 1.165 to 1.180!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

1400's were da bomb!!!! I started when 1200's were all the rage. We were hunting for those cells that would give you 240 seconds of run time at 20 amps back then. When 1400's came out and we saw runtimes approaching 300 we went crazy!

Battery capacity keeps increasing, motors keep improving, chassis handle better, it never seems to end. Stock racing today is what modified used to be when I started.

As far as batteries go, I'm all for increased capacity. This helps to eliminate the crying over regular racers not having the batteries that sponsored drivers have. With the 3300's that are out there now, no racer should be complaining that they are losing to the pros because of battery.

It may be the brushless motors that trigger the next big change in our hobby. Speeds have been increasing regularly over the last few years and manufacturers have been taking advantage of this trend. With brushless technology, we will probably start redefining our class structure and hopefully create more realistic stock, pro-stock and modified classes. I'd like to see drivers progress out of the stock classes like they used to.

Jeff Gilligan
Old 04-11-2003, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by rayhuang
But I absolutely think for Racing we need to freeze the Capacity for another two years or so.

I mean-my 1.157 GP3300's are "practice packs" now. They used to be Killer Race packs!!! Now its 1.165 to 1.180!!!
Tell me about it .. I thought that I would have soem great bats' for at least a year and now GP comes out with these Super #'s on the Newer GP 3300's

Oh well....
-Dave
Old 04-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

The more capacity the better, hopefully we'll be able to hold 10minute races with the help of brushless motors soon, even current stock motors could be capable of ten minute runs with a small increase in cell capacity. We owe a lot to mobile phone technoligy for improving research into batteries It's also nice to see for once that the new technoligy is cheaper than the old.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
The more capacity the better, hopefully we'll be able to hold 10minute races with the help of brushless motors soon, even current stock motors could be capable of ten minute runs with a small increase in cell capacity. We owe a lot to mobile phone technoligy for improving research into batteries It's also nice to see for once that the new technoligy is cheaper than the old.
Hermi' . Man I can almost get 12 min's of run time on a few really good packs that I have with some of my 23T stockers

-Dave
Old 04-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

do your 23T stocks have bearings or bushings in them? here the only thing considered a stock is a 27T fixed timed motor with bushings and laydown brushes. Still if you're lasting 12mins you ain't driving fast enough
Old 04-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
do your 23T stocks have bearings or bushings in them? here the only thing considered a stock is a 27T fixed timed motor with bushings and laydown brushes. Still if you're lasting 12mins you ain't driving fast enough
23T Stocks with Bushings and Stand up brushes...31000rpm and I gear them at 5.6~5.8....I'll let you do the math

-Dave
Old 04-11-2003, 06:25 PM
Tech Regular

If we're talking future, how about BL's and fuel cells? Imagine 4 hour enduro's where you only pit for tires.

I think that runtime is fine with current batts, they just need to up the voltage. Which they seem to be doing.

I also see a problem in the future with brushless motors and controllers. How will you have any kind of spec or regulated class? The makers would have to aggree on a set cut-off and they couldn't do that. We need something between the esc and the motor that is a fixed voltage limiter. Make it a thing like armature labels. A tamper-proof little stickered box on the + wire. It's one thing if everybody gets the Novak system but that never happens.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

I see it this way, when I first came in I bought some 1900 packs (that I don't use anymore) and some nice (mid-range) matched 2400 packs, they do alright for me even if they do loose punch throughout the race. It's kind of like computers, the second you buy the new stuff there advertising what will come in a month or so. I can't afford to keep up so why try?
Old 04-11-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Capacity War ends...

as soon as

Solar Cells becomes standard power source for RC.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Hermi' . Man I can almost get 12 min's of run time on a few really good packs that I have with some of my 23T stockers

-Dave
Agreed,
I can get slightly more than 13mins with my 3300 cells and 27Turn Stock motor.. I say bring on the 10minute races

As far as capacity goes they can fit a lot more mAh into those batteries but by increasing the capacities gradually they can squeeze more money out of us. Manufacturers know that every time they bring out a new cell with a few 100 more mAh we just got to go out and get 'em..
If the corporations just jumped straight to the 9999mAh Battery then they would be losing too much potential Income...

Steevo
Old 04-12-2003, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Steevo

As far as capacity goes they can fit a lot more mAh into those batteries but by increasing the capacities gradually they can squeeze more money out of us. Manufacturers know that every time they bring out a new cell with a few 100 more mAh we just got to go out and get 'em..
If the corporations just jumped straight to the 9999mAh Battery then they would be losing too much potential Income...

Steevo
Very very true. Im sure that there is some collusion between the manufacturers regarding this. Historically, we tend to buy in whenever there is an increase in capacity.
Old 04-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Steevo
Agreed,
I can get slightly more than 13mins with my 3300 cells and 27Turn Stock motor.. I say bring on the 10minute races

....I think that JMRCA will be going to 10 Min Races Here soon in Japan .... up 2 mins from the 8 that it is now

-Dave
Old 04-12-2003, 06:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default CAPACITY FREEZ?

What do you think of a capacity freez for a couple fo years, like no battery manufactures can put out any higher capacity cells above 3300 for about 5 years?

What affects good and bad will it have on the hobbie?

Edward from CANADA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.