R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default how do people feel about racing brushed and brushless together in Mod on-road and off

so how do people feel about racing brushed and brushless together in Mod on-road and off,

what i want is your thoughts on this subject and what you thinks are pros and cons, i have been looking through the rules of IFMAR, ROAR, EFRA and they are all approved but we dont have this yet and i am looking for peoples thoughts that have raced them together and what there differences are, does it make a difference, are they comparable

cheers
judge10tpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Tech Master

Well, I'm biased, I love BL and what it does to the racers at the track. I'm gonna get on a little BL Soap Box now, so I aplogize in advance.

Basically in the beginning BL racers were the guys that like mod, but not all the extra work. SOme of these guys were less experienced. So the shouldn't have been in mod, and the BL was no advantage to them. But they got to RUn and Run and Run all day long. More practice, more driving. They as they got better, they started putting in good laptimes, and good runs. This caused the local fast guys to pay attention. Eventually they started to try BL and more then anything, are impressed by added time you get to wrench and prepare.

Power and race wise, the best driver wins, I don't think anyone will argue that all the power in the world does not good if not used right.

In Mod it's not really an issue, a BR motor can be made competive, but as everyone starts to use the BL stuff, I think you will see more and more "need" for it long term. It poses an advantage as you get to run your car more often.

SOrry, and Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Charlie.... What are Brushes for again.... i forgot.................lol
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

no need to say sorry, i just installed a novak 6.5 in my BX and it is fantastic, quiet and runs great and if you can run all day with no motor worries then it is worth it in the long run
judge10tpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

just like the DSM system made us forget crystals, the BL system will make the BR motors obsolete. not now but it will happen. I still run BR motors against BL systems and kept winning until 3 weeks ago.

People started to adjust to the power these motors put out and with newer versions coming out it wont be long before everyone uses BL. I love working on motors but I love driving the car even more.

So yes I bought my BL motor as well. just waiting for Tekin to release the R1 Pro....

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I'll say it...BRUSHES are for hair

Brushes are for hair. You know, I dont get it. There is enough maintennance involved with set-ups, spring rates, droop, camber, roll outs, weight on cars, ride height...now lets toss in cutting coms, soldering brushes, brush break in, carbon build up, hung brushes, comm lathes, diamond bits and every so often, changing the motor and battery for the lathe itself...the list goes on. Li-Po/brushless, people sqawk you need space to let them stretch their legs....then let them rock. I think brushed dudes are scared that they wont be able to line em up with nitros in the future, because that is the only thing that will give brushless any comp! Thats right I said it. Lets just have it like the 1/8 scale buggies guys have it....tracks that let brushless compete with the nitros. Brushed motors are for radioshack and toys r us cars.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
Tech Elite

all together now

its mod

run what you want
thats how i see it

and that goes for lipo to.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MOD : Run the fastest motor you got .. BL / Brushed it doesnt matter !!! Its Mod the fastest class with the fastest motors .....sounds like a no brainer to me .!!!! Bring it run it and have a Blast !!!!!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb racer
MOD : Run the fastest motor you got .. BL / Brushed it doesnt matter !!! Its Mod the fastest class with the fastest motors .....sounds like a no brainer to me .!!!! Bring it run it and have a Blast !!!!!
Balls to the wall. Make the tracks bigger, limit the rules to scale of the car and voltage. That will seperate the men from everyone else.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Well, I'm biased, I love BL and what it does to the racers at the track. I'm gonna get on a little BL Soap Box now, so I aplogize in advance.

Basically in the beginning BL racers were the guys that like mod, but not all the extra work. SOme of these guys were less experienced. So the shouldn't have been in mod, and the BL was no advantage to them. But they got to RUn and Run and Run all day long. More practice, more driving. They as they got better, they started putting in good laptimes, and good runs. This caused the local fast guys to pay attention. Eventually they started to try BL and more then anything, are impressed by added time you get to wrench and prepare.

Power and race wise, the best driver wins, I don't think anyone will argue that all the power in the world does not good if not used right.

In Mod it's not really an issue, a BR motor can be made competive, but as everyone starts to use the BL stuff, I think you will see more and more "need" for it long term. It poses an advantage as you get to run your car more often.

SOrry, and Thanks
I'm an experienced racer that wanted to run mod but it was to expensive. Now with Brushless lipo I can afford mod. And a cool paint job.
All I have to buy is tires and bodies.
Here's all the ponies I need.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 08-21-2008 at 08:03 AM.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Balls to the wall. Make the tracks bigger, limit the rules to scale of the car and voltage. That will seperate the men from everyone else.
Free spirited racing. Like it was in the old days. The simpler the better.
The mod class is as fair of racing as it gets..
Slow poke racing is for boys.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #12
Tech Lord

Question?
Why do people try to make a slow motor faster?
When all you have to do is throw in a faster motor.
Is it because you would have to run a faster class?
Throw in a mod and slow it down to the speed you are trying to make your slow motor go.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #13
Tech Lord

Oh! I'm sorry to answer the Q?
In mod it doesn't matter. Mod racers don't bicker like girls about whats fair or not. They race.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Slow poke racing is for boys.
not boy`s ...

call um

Turtles....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #15
Team Tekin

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I agree with some of the above, Mod racing is; BRING IT! Run what ya brung, so to speak.