R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   car body aerodynamics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/162259-car-body-aerodynamics.html)

diozxlive 05-07-2007 04:42 AM

car body aerodynamics

would a 190mm HPI gallardo body offer better aerodynamic effect than a racing body i.e. protoform mazda or dodge stratus? thanks...

rampal 05-07-2007 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by diozxlive
would a 190mm HPI gallardo body offer better aerodynamic effect than a racing body i.e. protoform mazda or dodge stratus? thanks...

if you want to run on santioned competition events, the answer is no... (you cannot use it)... personally, I had use one in the past (although the murcielago), playing around, you loose some steering but rear end keeps more on the ground... if you compare it to, for example, the tamiya ferrari F430.... it's been a long time since then, so I cannot say it's better or worse than a stratus 3.0 for example...

cheers,
al

diozxlive 05-07-2007 05:54 AM

hi the car will be used for speedruns / drag race only on non sactioned events/parking lots.

rampal 05-07-2007 06:12 AM

hi the car will be used for speedruns / drag race only on non sactioned events/parking lots.

then get a le mans body from Team magic... the 200mm ones from the G4S... I think that will hold you better.... and you can increase your track width to 200mm that will give you extra stability....

cheers,
al

Tsquare 05-07-2007 09:21 AM

You will lose quite a bit of stability and steering, when compared to using the Mazda 6.

trjracing 05-07-2007 09:26 AM

If you are going to speed run or drag race try a hpi stelletto body with a proline high down force wing. I've been doing speed runs and dragracing for years and I also drag race my TC3 and I use the hpi stelletto body so far and it works great. Some times I use the dodge stratus body too and it works great too. It depends on your chassis set up on how you have your ride hight set at. Try running your body as low as possible with a good amount of down force. I run between 7-14cells depending what I am doing. So preping your body to go fast is a must to keep your car stable at high speeds. There are other bodies you can use too the ford GT works great too, When I ran the ford Gt 40 body back in 2003 brushless on 12 cells on my TC3 I ran 71mph at half track the body ran stable but just try not to turn at those speeds because you will go airborne :nod: :nod: :nod: . The NSX body is a good body to use or a proline/protoform lola body too would be great. The lambo. gallardo body will work good too. Remember to set your suspension up for the kind of power you are trying to run and to the body you plan to run. Also a tip on the body cut the whole back end off (the rear behind the wing) so no air gets caught in side the body and it's free flow. If you leave the back end on you will hold air your car will flip and or spin out at high speeds. Been there done that. Now all my bodies run with no back end so I get max flow thought the back. Your car would be stable at high speeds and you will gain a few more MPH. If you have any questions pm me and I will help you with tips for the body of your car and gearing for the kind of racing you plan on doing. Speed runs and dragracing is what I do so I would be glad to help you with your car. I make sleeper drag cars. They look like a touring car but run like a drag car. Take Care... ;) :)

trjracing 05-07-2007 09:35 AM

The Gallardo body has a very low nose and would offer good aerodynamics and at 190mm it would be pretty stream line. :nod: