R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2003, 09:50 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Your thoughts on Battery and Magnet Zappers

Guys;

What are your experiences/thoughts on Battery and Magnet Zappers. (price is not a consideration)
Anyone have experiences with either or both.

(I already did a search and not much came up)

Thanks,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 11:15 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

After a long evening talking to Jim Greenmeyer (a while back), The magnet zapper is very important to "refill" the magnets. I will be doing some testing with one soon to see what it can do for you numbers and feel wise.
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Your thoughts on Battery and Magnet Zappers

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

What are your experiences/thoughts on Battery and Magnet Zappers. (price is not a consideration)
Anyone have experiences with either or both.

(I already did a search and not much came up)

Thanks,
I wish that I could help ya' Pops' but I can give you some good places to Shop overseas if you want to buy one ..they are Super cheap in Hong Kong..... They were on a average of 250~350 New
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

www.kthobbies.com for the Team1 Zapper. It's under motor tools.

I don't have much for information on them though.. dsrbltoys basicly summed up my knowledge on them.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Battery zappers; From what I've read here they are more a rescue method, when the batts are almost gone anyway. But I have no practical experience, so I cant tell.

I found this link: http://www.electronichobbyist.net/pr...cad_zapper.htm I dont believe the explanation, but there's a diagram for building your own.

Here's a more reasonably explanation: http://www.rcuniverse.com/rcarchive/24/2002/05/4/29999

(I also found a zapper for zapping rats and mices in a "humanitary" way !?!?!?!?!?)

About magnet zappers: When I was hooked on hifi, we used to demagnitize the equipment, especially the speakers. Very VERY huge difference. So even thoug I havent tried it on RC cars, I believe it'll have some effect. But in those HiFi days, it seemed to me, that both the coil and magnet in the speaker liked the demagnitizing?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Your thoughts on Battery and Magnet Zappers

Guys;

Thanks for the info. The Battery Zapper looks like a fix for bad cells and not a performance enhancer.
So far I am finding different opinions on the benefits (if any) on Zapping the Can Magnets. Will have to do some more research.

Anyone have their Motor Cans Zapped regularly?

Thanks, again.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Battery Zapping is a performance enhancer. If you zap your cells on a schedule you will help prevent deterioration of performance and you MAY increase voltage and lower or maintain IR. Not every cell responds the same way. Some improve some, stay the same. All batteries go away gradually, but zapping helps them stay "fresher" . I have had batteries gain .01 per cell after a zap and rematch. Which may not sound like much, but you pay for it when you buy cells (1.160 1.170)!

I read the article from rc universe. That's all well and good, but that dude is mostly interested in planes (red schofield). I can tell you that no matcher would invest time into building/researching or buying zappers if they did not work.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/

Last edited by robk; 04-12-2003 at 01:17 PM.
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Your thoughts on Battery and Magnet Zappers

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer

Anyone have their Motor Cans Zapped regularly?

Thanks, again.
Hey Pops'

I Find my self Zapping My Top Based motors more often than I do on my Reedy/Yoke' Ones... I feel that I can get a bit more mid range torque out of the Top based motors this way ..
anyone else..??
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

I don't know the proper terms but this is what a battery zapper does. As a cell gets used little finger grow between the plates inside the cell. As you get more and more of these little fingers the cell internal resistance goes up and cell performance decreases. You can tell this when you are charging your batteries and you notice the end charge voltage being higher than it was when it was newer. When you zap the cell it destroys the little fingers between the plate in the cells and the internal resistance will go down and the end charge voltage should be lower.

What I do is keep a little notebook in my pit box and when I asseble a battery pack I will note the first 5 charges end voltage and average it out when I see the voltage rising I will zap the cells and most of the time they come right back into check.

Their are severl zappers out their the cheap Integy maintence zapper is useless it doesn't put out enought voltage to properly zap the cell. Quillen Engineering makes a good one and the $400 Xipp zapper is also very good.

As for Motor zappers the only one I have experience with is the Team one zapper. It does make a difference in motor performance on a very old can or a can that has been overheated. But for the price tag of it you can purchase allot of motors and possibly be ahead of the game by doing so.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Leon

Pops,

To my understanding a galvanic cell works by one electrode going into a solution and producing electrons. On the side that forms a precipitate, the chemical I dunno which Ni or Cd. Crystals will grow, and these crystals will increase the resistence. Zapping will help break up these crystals and decrease resistence. I have no experience working with zappers yet, but from the NiCd info I've read it would seem that zapping should work as a performance enhancer. How much it helps... I am not sure.

Magnet zapping, I had my magnets zapped. I definitely felt that there was a stronger cogging effect on the motor when I turned it by hand with a pinion on it, but on the track I am not sure. I'm just a novice driver so I doubt I am as sensitive to small changes as other people. The expert guys at the track say that it helps, and they said they find freshly zapped motors have a little more than normal amounts of torque so it takes a few runs for it to get back to it's "best" performance.

-Leon
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote