Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Mamba Max Cogging >

Mamba Max Cogging

Mamba Max Cogging

Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default Mamba Max Cogging

I have tried posting this in the official Castle Creations thread, but the guy didn't respond to me, so I am posting here to see what you guys do to stop mamba max cogging.

I am using spektrum pro tx and rx with the power cap, I have a mamba max 5700 kv in a XXX-T MF2 with a 16t pinion using IB3800 batteries, matched and balanced s x s w battery bars and deans. I should have absolutely no problems here with radio equipment at all, and still I am getting cogging issues. I am using medium start power, no traction control, no cutoff voltage, normal timing, wires soldered directly to the motor. The cogging sometimes happens during sweeping turns, or while I have been on power, not from a dead stop. I do see cogging from a dead stop too sometimes, but this is expected because this usually happens after a spin-out. Also, the acceleration seems inconsistent at times too.

I also have another mamba max w/ 7700kv motor 15t pinion in a BJ4 with a spektrum pro rx and capacitor with maxamps 4400mah saddle pack LIPOs. This motor is not direct soldered yet, although I plan on doing this soon. This one here cogs or glitches every now and then too. And it isn't from a dead stop when this happens, this is while I am well back on power and it is just so frustrating. This was happening multiple times during each heat. One time I was going up a jump when all of the sudden it decided to cog a bit causing me to not make the jump. I am running the mamba max at pretty much the exact same setup as the MF2 truck, same start power, timings, etc...

None of these issues are acceptable in a racing atmosphere. I just don't know what to do any more. I need to get this completely eliminated somehow. I love the mamba max and I want to get it to work smoothly. Most of the time it works great, just every now and then it feels like glitching on me. I have two systems and it does this to both systems. When I run a 19t checkpoint motor with my mamba max in the BJ4, it never glitches, so that eliminates my radio setup which is brand new and all spektrum pro.

Please Castle guys, fix this! What are us racers supposed to do? I am at wits end.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

My guess is because the system is not sensored.....again just a guess, my novak and lrp BL stuff does none of that.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would just like to point out that cogging just means that the motor 'steps' between spots of rotation, like a brushed motor. The Mamba Max motors don't cog at all, I think the Novak motors cog a little (at least some of them), brushed motors cog a lot. It's something you determine by turning the motor by hand.

When a brushless motor doesn't go when you pull the trigger, or rocks back and forth a few times, that's called hesitation or stuttering.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Is this the same Adam G from RCU?

By that definition, it isn't cogging that I am seeing. It is a hesitation, or stutter I get during acceleration, like out of nowhere. I ran dirt oval about a month ago with very little release of the throttle and the mamba max just hesitates every now and then. Not every time. It does this usually during acceleration coming out of a corner, be a slow corner like a 180 deg or a fast corner like that in a dirt oval.

If this is the same Adam G from RCU, I really can't just go and change out radio equipment again. I just bought some new radio equipment and got it set up just to my liking. I am very picky and got an Exzes Plus radio and modified the sticks, etc.. it isn't easy at all for me to swap radios and go to another kind.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Try rebinding your specktrum and then reseting the esc...mine was funky for a few runs and that cured it...beets me why it would matter but worth a try.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

How do you reset the ESC? Are you talking about setting it up?

I just rebinded a new RX yesterday and it did it. It was a brand new RX, should I rebind it again?

I'd really like to solve this problem because it seems like everything else about the mamba max is good, just that intermittent hesitation or stutter I get makes me want to pull my hair out.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yep, same one.
I just had to get my thoughts on word choice off my chest. I can't do it on RCu, because the hundreds of bashers would destroy me ;>
Old 05-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattnin
How do you reset the ESC? Are you talking about setting it up?

I just rebinded a new RX yesterday and it did it. It was a brand new RX, should I rebind it again?

I'd really like to solve this problem because it seems like everything else about the mamba max is good, just that intermittent hesitation or stutter I get makes me want to pull my hair out.
Make sure all of your end points are at neutral on the radio. Then reset the Max to factory default settings. Then recalibrate your radio to the ESC. Make no changes to the ESC or radio and take a trial run and see if you see any of the symptoms you are talking about.

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Also how short are your motor wires? I thought I read something in the instructions that say the motor leads must be XX" long. Give castle a call, those guys are top knotch. I had a similar problem with a mamba in a mini inferno, turns out the settings were wrong, and the guy I talked to even gave me his own personal set-up from his mini. I run mine in a TC now, and It feels better than the GTB I used to own.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

get rid of the plugs for the motor.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

braid the motor wires?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
get rid of the plugs for the motor.
I am running in my my 1/18 M18 since the release of the Mamba series a 8000KV with motorplugs on it. We had some problems in the beginning with cogging. I switched to Deans Ultra's for the batteryplug and upgraded the esc through a the PHX link the firmware. The PHX link costs you about 25USD but is worth the investment cause you can setup the esc through you computer and upgrade the firmware if it is upgraded. So what you tel is B*llshit!
Old 05-07-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by adamge
I would just like to point out that cogging just means that the motor 'steps' between spots of rotation, like a brushed motor. The Mamba Max motors don't cog at all, I think the Novak motors cog a little (at least some of them), brushed motors cog a lot. It's something you determine by turning the motor by hand.
WRONG

Cogging is the electronic phenomenon where the motor does not pick up smoothly, either due to the sensorless speedo "losing" the rotor or insufficient voltage.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
I am running in my my 1/18 M18 since the release of the Mamba series a 8000KV with motorplugs on it. We had some problems in the beginning with cogging. I switched to Deans Ultra's for the batteryplug and upgraded the esc through a the PHX link the firmware. The PHX link costs you about 25USD but is worth the investment cause you can setup the esc through you computer and upgrade the firmware if it is upgraded. So what you tel is B*llshit!
you can stop with the nice words
this is what i was told to do
and others that run the mamba max do this
and the link cable came with the motor and spedo,
Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

It cogs because its a mamba, get a sensored system and the problem will disappear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.