R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH
Make sure all of your end points are at neutral on the radio. Then reset the Max to factory default settings. Then recalibrate your radio to the ESC. Make no changes to the ESC or radio and take a trial run and see if you see any of the symptoms you are talking about.

Thanks,
The only changes I made on my radio are EPA adjustments and exponential for the throttle and brake.

I do have both ESCs set up to mostly all default settings. I have traction control off, no cut-off voltage, normal start power, normal timing, forward no reverse setting, and 30% drag brake on both ESCs. What setting is it exactly that eliminates cogging?

I can take a picture of everything too if you'd like. I don't run cheap equipment.

This problem happens to BOTH of my mamba max systems. I have braided the motor and ESC wires on both systems, and on the 5700kv system I have direct soldered the wires too. I have the wires tied down and as far away from the receiver and antenna as I can in a BJ4 and a MF2.

Can it really be that my brand new radio with brand new spektrum pro TX and RX receivers are faulty? I really don't think so because no one else with spektrums where I race have this problem. And this same problem happened with my older spektrum (non-pro) radio too. So this issue isn't this new Spektrum Pro TX that I just purchased.

If this really was an interference issue, then why don't I get situations where the steering glitches, or the throttle glitches. I maintain steering the whole time, and I get no instances ever that I get a glitch of throttle. No, this problem is only a hesitation or braking effect. Also, another thing that proves it isn't my radio is that this does not happen when running a checkpoint 19t or a cobalt stock motor. All this proves it isn't interference.
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
mattnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i was having the same problem. Running the spectrum with a MM and a stock motor. Went to a novak gtx and it all went away. put the MM and the 7700 in my Buggy with a AE rx & tx (cheep stuff) and it works fine. I think its the combo of the 2.

[HOTBODIES] [SPEED PASSION]
---------------------------------------------------------
overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:45 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomt2
It cogs because its a mamba, get a sensored system and the problem will disappear.
I SALUTE you!

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:48 AM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnin
I have tried posting this in the official Castle Creations thread, but the guy didn't respond to me, so I am posting here to see what you guys do to stop mamba max cogging.

I am using spektrum pro tx and rx with the power cap, I have a mamba max 5700 kv in a XXX-T MF2 with a 16t pinion using IB3800 batteries, matched and balanced s x s w battery bars and deans. I should have absolutely no problems here with radio equipment at all, and still I am getting cogging issues. I am using medium start power, no traction control, no cutoff voltage, normal timing, wires soldered directly to the motor. The cogging sometimes happens during sweeping turns, or while I have been on power, not from a dead stop. I do see cogging from a dead stop too sometimes, but this is expected because this usually happens after a spin-out. Also, the acceleration seems inconsistent at times too.

I also have another mamba max w/ 7700kv motor 15t pinion in a BJ4 with a spektrum pro rx and capacitor with maxamps 4400mah saddle pack LIPOs. This motor is not direct soldered yet, although I plan on doing this soon. This one here cogs or glitches every now and then too. And it isn't from a dead stop when this happens, this is while I am well back on power and it is just so frustrating. This was happening multiple times during each heat. One time I was going up a jump when all of the sudden it decided to cog a bit causing me to not make the jump. I am running the mamba max at pretty much the exact same setup as the MF2 truck, same start power, timings, etc...

None of these issues are acceptable in a racing atmosphere. I just don't know what to do any more. I need to get this completely eliminated somehow. I love the mamba max and I want to get it to work smoothly. Most of the time it works great, just every now and then it feels like glitching on me. I have two systems and it does this to both systems. When I run a 19t checkpoint motor with my mamba max in the BJ4, it never glitches, so that eliminates my radio setup which is brand new and all spektrum pro.

Please Castle guys, fix this! What are us racers supposed to do? I am at wits end.
Install a Novak Glitchbuster in your aux on your receiver. Any disruption between tx and rx will be circumvented by the zap of juice, more than likely, ridding you of the cog.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

I am using the spektrum receiver capacitor which is the same thing as the novak glitch buster cap.

I am also wondering about a possible problem using a spektrum system with the mamba max. Three people on numerous forums have said it is the spektrum radio. Is this really possible?

Maybe I should call up Spektrum and see what they say, but then again maybe I should try my original 27MHz module too.

I should be able to hook up my original 27MHz module in my radio and it should solve the problem then, right?
High Desert Raceplace, Grand Jct CO, Sanwa Exzes Plus Stick Radio, Spektrum,Thunderpower 230g, Modified Tri-Nut Novak GTB2, Ballistic 4.5t 550, 5.83lb SCTE Ten, Novak Sentry Brushless Dyno, Crossweight Setup Station, Junsi 20A power supply Icharger 20A Charger,TP610C, 22B, Novak Edge, Novak 13.5, SC10, Havoc Pro SC XDrive, Ballistic 17.5 Matthew Joseph Cordova
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
I am using the spektrum receiver capacitor which is the same thing as the novak glitch buster cap.

I am also wondering about a possible problem using a spektrum system with the mamba max. Three people on numerous forums have said it is the spektrum radio. Is this really possible?

Maybe I should call up Spektrum and see what they say, but then again maybe I should try my original 27MHz module too.

I should be able to hook up my original 27MHz module in my radio and it should solve the problem then, right?
You might have a legitimate gripe. I installed a spektrum in my micro rs4 with the Mamba, and it went spastic on me. I just chalked it up to full size electronics being to powerful for mini brushless set-ups. Reading your posts, I feel your pain.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

If it is the Spektrum Pro system causing issues with the Mamba Max, then I blame the problem on the Mamba Max. No way should any ESCs be that picky where it won't work properly with a top of the line expert radio system, unless it is stated as part of the specifications.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

I have M8 with a spektrum module and have no problems at all. What I did have at one point was a faulty ON/OFF switch that went bad and made it seem like it was cogging or glitching, so I replaced them with better switches from Radio Shack and haven't had a problem since.
But my friend has had the same problems with spektrum radio and MM cogging. Sounds like that is the culprit.
xmach1man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #24
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Let's make a deal!

mattnin, in your opening paragraph you mentioned that you were trying to use your current system in a racing environment.

Since your problem may be related to your Spectrum radio, I propose an exchange.

If you cannot eliminate (to your satisfaction) the "cogging" or hesitation problems that you are experiencing, send your MM system to TeamNovak for exchange.

We will exchange it for a GTB/Spectrum version esc and Velociti motor of your choice for our Option 1 prices.

Quote:
If it is the Spektrum Pro system causing issues with the Mamba Max, then I blame the problem on the Mamba Max. No way should any ESCs be that picky where it won't work properly with a top of the line expert radio system, unless it is stated as part of the specifications.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Island Losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #26
Tech Adept

rtr T4 with the am radio that came with it,I have good,medium and crap batteries. Zero clogging,default settings with the lowest timing. I love my MM5700. Dan
danimal1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

I don't think this is radio/speedo related...

When the speedo loses track of the rotor, it continues to switch the stator coils as if the rotor were in the right place. The rotor is now being asked (effectively) to go backwards, so it hesitates. You see that as your hesitation in acceleration. With a sensored system, the speedo doesn't lose track of the rotor, so it doesn't switch the coils if the rotor is in the 'wrong' place.

The main reasons that the rotor can get behind the switching of the stators is load - the load on the rotor does not allow it to accelerate at the rate the stators think it should. Once the load is removed (the car picks up speed) the rotor 'catches up' with the switching of the stators, and order is restored. This situation is most often seen when you gun a sensorless BL off the line - compared to a sensored BL it can be pants!

You're running an Off-Road car which is heavier than a 18th or TC, so the problem is only going to get worse, not better. I recommend that you drop the pinion a couple of teeth and see what happens. This will take some load off the motor, and should reduce the hesitation/cogging effect. If a couple of teeth does the trick, go back up one tooth. When the problem returns, you have, effectively, over-geared the motor. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Slower, interesting idea. matt, try it. This problem is also potentially fixable by adjusting the timing in the ESC's programming.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:47 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
WRONG

Cogging is the electronic phenomenon where the motor does not pick up smoothly, either due to the sensorless speedo "losing" the rotor or insufficient voltage.
I am surprised that these guys don't know the American definition of the word...

Cogging - to load or manipulate dice fraudulently; to cheat at dice.

...which I've never heard before!!

Adamge - how would altering the timing fix the problem in your view? Thanks.
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had cogging issues when I first got my 7700. Called Castle Creations...the tech told me to get rid of the gold connectors, cut em off soldered the wires together, never had a problem since. I now have a 5700 & 7700 both with Spektrum RX's, hard wired, no cogging.
beast95451 is offline   Reply With Quote