R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #1
PWA
Tech Rookie

Default Need help identifying an armature*pics add*

I picked up an armature when I was in the lower 48 and having trouble identifying it. I was hoping some one could help. i don't have a digital camera so I can't take a pic but its got three engravings on it.... Big Jim, 19, and AL. the other weird thing is its got 3 square blocks Right below the commutator, and each pole has a high point top and bottom that looks polished and the middle is well depressed and separated from the top and bottom. I'll try to take pics when I get my hands on a camera.

any ideas?
PWA

Last edited by PWA; 05-10-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Adding pics
PWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default Motor Help

PWA,

The arm was probably (99.9%) sure wound by Big Jim Greenemyer who passed away (RIP) about two years ago or so, the motor is most likely a custom 19 turn or if its a mod arm then maybe it was wound with 19 guage wire. If you can post pics it would help for sure.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

PWA,

Post your question on the team Br00d forum also. Big Jim was working with Eddie when he past away. The three attached things below the comm was something that they were working with at the time. If I remember correctly it was a thing done to increase effiency and reduce temps. The arm was most likely a modified arm as I am not sure if you would add those to a 19 turn arm.

Either way post pics and talk to team Br00d.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
PWA
Tech Rookie

I found a buddy with a camera so I'll post pic's tomorrow. thanks for the tip on the team Br00d forum. when I get my pics I'll post there as well

PWA
Old 05-03-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
Tech Regular

@PWA
I guess you've got 19t armature with 'powertrix' device (called this by late BigJim) installed on its comm joint,
Also its probably that armature on your hand is the one which using aluminum wire instead of copper wire,
He has done research on applying this device altogether with EddieO.
You can post the pics or email it to team Br00d to confirm that,
Faiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
PWA
Tech Rookie

finally got the picture uploaded here you go:

Thanks,
PWA

Old 05-10-2007, 08:32 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah that looks like a arm with the powertrix on it. EddieO will be able to explain this better.. That's a collectors item right there.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's a powertix 19t arm.....he sent out a few to oval guys around the country for testing....like one of them responded. Our tests showed the straight aluminum wire sucked.....as there was no way to really solder it.....the solder you see on there is more acting like glue than an actual electrical connection...

The little squares are powertrix devices......they work well, but they are impossible to really do a consumer level from a production stand point. They are a pain to put on and if its not done perfect, they blow up......when they work though, they are amazing....

I guess my only question is.....where did you find it? Did his little cunt of a daughter start selling off his stuff finally......along with mine, jay's, and more peoples stuff along with it.

Later EddieO
Old 05-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have heard that about her Eddie, everyone who still wants the RC Motor Black Book would be able to get one if she would allow it to be printed. Where did you pick that armature up? Someone must have not known what they had, or like Eddie said, his daughter is selling off his stuff
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
PWA
Tech Rookie

I picked it up in some hobby shop in Seattle...sorry I don't remember the name...I'll look for the receipt. I was just driving around saw the store had a few minutes to spare and stopped in. They had a bunch or motor parts in a small box. I just grab this arm cause I've never seen one and a bunch of brushes in a zip lock baggie.

anyone know what can is this arm made for or a recommended can? 4 or 6 cell? Not looking to race it but figure since I got the arm, I should build an motor that its designed for. Then store it as a full motor.

I'll put it aside and not run it.

Thanks
PWA

Last edited by PWA; 05-11-2007 at 02:57 AM.