R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2003, 02:38 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Nervous Racer

I am that nervous racer. During practice when i race I honestly believe i am the fastest guy at the local track but when there 9 other people on the driver stand and we are all trying to win my hand shakes, i can't concentrate, and i only manage to place 2-5. I feel my hand shake left and rate and i even watch it. I try to be smooth but i can't cause i'm so nervous. I was just wondering if anybody had some tips on calming down. I have only been in three race weekends with a total of 10 races and i have only slightly began to become less nervous. I honestly believe i'm the best (not to sound arrogant), but i get so nervous with other racers on the track and I start lookin like its my first time. I still can't believe i manages a second place finish and 4th in the a-mains. HELP please
warlord385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:47 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

Thats normal, My first year racing was like that. Go to a National event I went to the Snowbirds and almost dropped my radio my hands were shaking so bad.
Overclocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 02:59 AM   #3
Tech Regular

i remeber what u r going through

when i started racing it was the same go to a big race then the club meets wont feel that big.

i was told this a thousand times at least run your own race don't try and compete especially in the heats. some one is faster than u dont try stop them going through. usually there better than u so just move out of the way because the guy has more know how he will move u if u dont move for him.

have fun

fasterdanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:56 AM   #4
Tech Elite

As fasterdanu says, it's about running your own race, instead of concentrating on others.

By nature, it's harder to race against other cars, than having the track for yourself, because you cant choose the line you want. You are constantly forced to choose a line, depending on the other cars.

The more races you go to, the better it'll get.

Personally, I'm training on focusing on my own race. I find it help a lot, if I take a moment before a qualifier / final, where I concentrate on something else. I got a special situation, which I'm thinking of and fill my head with. Afterwards, my mind feels open and clear. Now I better can concentrate on my driving. It's not easy and I dont always succeed, but when I do... Sometimes I even manage to do it during a final. It's something like dream yourself away, so it's only you and your car. Nothing else matters. It's also important to focus on what you do good on the track, instead of being angry because you made a fault.

Try to fill your head with "good stuff", it's a kind of be happy, dont worry.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:38 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

I only get nervous when I lead in a main (not necessarily the A main), I have a hard time driving up front. I recall a recent club race where I got the hole shot from 8th spot on the starting grid, I was OK until the race director starting saying how great I was doing, then the shakes... Ended up 3rd I think.

One of these days I'll get rid of them, I hope!
ARC MotorSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:02 AM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Last year was my first year seriously racing. I remember in the quals I was so wired and anxious to race that my heart doubled it's rate and my legs started shaking. I have seriously thought that I was going to have a nervous breaking down up there on the drivers stand... (Sorta like that feeling of Christmas at 5 am when you're 5-6 years old) I remember telling myself to calm down in the middle of the race and I took a few deep breaths and that calmed me down a lot. I believe I was so nervous that I would hit the boards once and loose the lead that it made me parinoid to make any mistakes at all...obvious that only made it worse and caused me to make mistakes. Since then I have raced a lot more and the anxiety has gone away and you really start racing well and winning races... That just helps you not be nervous at all. Like people said, think about other things and then you'll be all clear for the race. Take deep breaths if will help the nervousness. Try and calm down, you'll do better that way Good luck.
John Fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:07 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Default Nervous Racers

Quote:
Originally posted by ARC MotorSports
I only get nervous when I lead in a main (not necessarily the A main), I have a hard time driving up front. I recall a recent club race where I got the hole shot from 8th spot on the starting grid, I was OK until the race director starting saying how great I was doing, then the shakes... Ended up 3rd I think.

One of these days I'll get rid of them, I hope!
It is MUCH easier for me to play catch-up than it is to lead. After a few minutes in front, the knees get wobbly and find that I must concentrate much harder to avoid making a mistake. Usually I will take it down a few notches to avoid a mistake, but then the risk of being passed again is greater (more nerves)
It was the same way when I was racing dirt bikes.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:23 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to WVRACER

Guys i look like a old man from the cartoons i shake so bad. i've been doing this for about 3 years and i still get them. it drives me crazy. heck i start shaking even in the warm up laps befor the race starts. i think i need some mental help.
"Hi my name in Rob and i am a shake - a - houlik"

you know what makes in 10 times worse is when your family is there watching you being grandstand drivers.
"go go go"
"look out behind you"
"that guy just hit my daddy i don't like him anymore" my favorite

so good luck getting rid of the shakes i wish i could

wvracer
WVRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:26 AM   #9
Tech Elite

I raced for the first time last weekend. I wasn't nervous but it was a very relaxed situation though. Just remember it's not about winning, it's about fun. Run your own race, drive smoothly and pick lines that suit your cars setup.

P.s. If your in front of somebody you have right of way, it's their job to pass you.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:30 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

hehe...i never raced before...i really wanna try....i think my car is good enuf...but not sure if im good enuf...
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:45 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Gil Losi Jr. had the most hand shaking while driving that I have seen in recent history.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 03:55 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to munrath

Warlord385,

If you have a good radio like M8 then modifiy the following settings to help:

Steering EXP - 15 (Try more if you need it)
Throttle EXP - 20

This should really help with the hand shaking.

Let me know,
Mark

Races for 2015:
PNB, AMS, E-Nats Warm-up, E-Nats, LCRC North East Challenge, RAC, LCRC Halloween, Badlands, ROAR Region 2 Series, and Local Club Racing
munrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:10 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy
Default Re: Nervous Racers

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
It is MUCH easier for me to play catch-up than it is to lead. After a few minutes in front, the knees get wobbly and find that I must concentrate much harder to avoid making a mistake. Usually I will take it down a few notches to avoid a mistake, but then the risk of being passed again is greater (more nerves)
It was the same way when I was racing dirt bikes.
Pops, the exact same thing happens to me leading a main....not so much a qualifier. If i lead for more than two minutes or so my legs start shaking and i have to concentrate harder because i do often make more mistakes just like you said. Chasing is MUCH easier than leading!
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:14 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K
Post Tip

Lay off the Sugar and Cafinee(sp) on race days.....you would be suprized how much this helps with the shakes.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:31 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Does it really Kevin? Have you tried it? What happened last saturday, did you have too much coke or candy or whatever?
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote