Old 04-10-2003, 04:35 PM   #16
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6
Default Re: Tip

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin K
Lay off the Sugar and Cafinee(sp) on race days.....you would be suprized how much this helps with the shakes.
Thats what happened to me before the Novak race. I had that 2L of Pepsi in my pits this morning, along side the 2-3 Krispy Kreme's, Ice Cream bar, and various other junk foods I had that morning.

I was shaking hours before my race!
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:48 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Axiom.....why would I get nervous racing you????? Last weekend was the frist time back on rubber tires.....so what happened the sunday before the NORRCA race??? Ohhhh yeah we didnt race b/c I was in the A and you were not but whatever....your the big winner in life. And last weekend if I didnt get an order of takeout at the start it might have been worth trying to race.

But it does help to not have that stuff in your system when you are worried about a race or get nervous.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

I've been racing for almost two years and still get nervous and shakey when doing well, even if it's just a qualifier, it's not uncontrolable though. I have a couple of club mates who get it so bad that one uses a wheel radio and the other wants one but can't afford it, even though they both think sticks gives them more control.

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
I raced for the first time last weekend. I wasn't nervous but it was a very relaxed situation though. Just remember it's not about winning, it's about fun. Run your own race, drive smoothly and pick lines that suit your cars setup.

P.s. If your in front of somebody you have right of way, it's their job to pass you.
If someone is trying to lap you then holding them back is a very bad idea. I've been in both positions, I still regularly am, and have had lots of practise of what to do in both situations. It's much better to let a lapping driver past, or even someone at the start of the race who you know is considerably faster than you but got off to a bad start although if they're only slightly faster then by all means race them properly. By running wide and slowing down a little more in one corner to let someone past you are likely to loose less than half a second. If you hold them up they are likely to be unsure of your next move, slower drivers are generaly more erratic or take poorer racing lines so as the faster car tries to take an overtaking line through a corner it may intersect where the slower car is heading and cause a crash, loosing more like 5 seconds. More importantly what would you rather have, a driver coming up to you at the end of a race and getting angry at you for loosing him a race or a driver coming up to you and thanking you for being curtias and probably making a friend.

rant over
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Warlord, I had a problem with nervousness too and still do battle with it however it's not as bad as it was at the start. The biggest problem is confidence in your abilities. You say you think you're the best there but deep down you don't believe it. The really fast guys know they're fast and truely expect to win. If they get knocked around that first lap, they don't panic. They know they can catch up because they KNOW they're good. The shakes will start to subside once you've raced awhile and your confidence builds. When people start coming to you telling you how fast you were you'll start to believe. One thing I did to help that worked was to talk to myself mentally during a race. Focus on your car and the turns and on setting up other drivers for passes. Don't give yourself an opportunity to think about losing or getting past. If someone else is faster...well then you just take second and be happy. Can't win'em all. Hope that helps
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:57 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Whilst not wanting to get too deep, I suppose an area many racers fail to train is their own brain.

I recall reading an interview with Joel Johnson many years ago who related some of his experiences from seeing a sports psychologist to help his R/C performance.

One of the major challenges they identified is to be able to block out everything except your own car. Complete focus on your car and nothing else. Easier said than done!

It's all too easy to get distracted and your mind to start wandering during a qualifier or race.

One tip provided in the article that has been working well for me is this...

Prior to the start buzzer, take a moment to visualise the start of the race. Imagine your car leaping off the start gird, driving down the straight-away to turn one, taking the perfect line with maximum corner speed, turn two perfect etc etc.

Do this in real time as if you were actually driving your car. And don't worry about people thinking your a bit weird, following an imaginery car around the track. Most of all, concentrate and focus.

You'll be surprised how often the actual race start will pan out like the imaginery start you just ran, not to mention the additionlal level of preparedness you'll have.

Scotty
ScottyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 06:46 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Quote:
Axiom.....why would I get nervous racing you????? Last weekend was the frist time back on rubber tires.....so what happened the sunday before the NORRCA race??? Ohhhh yeah we didnt race b/c I was in the A and you were not but whatever....your the big winner in life. And last weekend if I didnt get an order of takeout at the start it might have been worth trying to race.

But it does help to not have that stuff in your system when you are worried about a race or get nervous.
Kevin I was just making a joke, because it didn't look like you were having that good of a day last saturday...geez don't take offense...lighten up dude.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:34 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Dude its a little hard to tell when you are joking.....it didnt seem like a joke to me but what ever if it was.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:51 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mab_man20

Im another member of the pre race shakes. What helps me is to take a few deep breathes and remember how much fun it is racing and it doesnt matter if i come in last or first, as long as im happy with the race. Personally a more fun race for me would be battling another car the entire race, back and forth through every corner battling for second to LAST place, then lapping the entire field 2 times and never even being challanged.

I ran track during HS and we were always working on visualizations. I never thought to apply it to RC. Ill give it a try.
Thanks

mab_man20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 07:54 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I actually do really well if i'm in the lead and really really really bad when i play catch up. But thanks for all the tips. Everyone at my local track doesn't look nervous. I thought it was just me but now that i know its a common thing it helps alot. Thanks a lot guys. Hopefully this weekend i place first
warlord385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Talking TOO many Krispy Kreme's

Quote:
Originally posted by TSR6
Thats what happened to me before the Novak race. I had that 2L of Pepsi in my pits this morning, along side the 2-3 Krispy Kreme's, Ice Cream bar, and various other junk foods I had that morning.

I was shaking hours before my race!
DANG!!!

After eating all of that, How the heck could you even get up?!?

Last edited by popsracer; 04-10-2003 at 08:32 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Popsracer.....he needed all of that so he had the engery to jump up and get his tools, cell phone, digi cam and just about everything else on his pit bench out of the ceiling after they were stuck in it.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #27
Tech Initiate

I know what you mean about being nervous on the drivers stand. Although it is not my hands that do the shaking, one of my legs will shake. It usually only happens when Iím really trying to hard.

What I will do, is before the start of the race, Iíll close my eyes and take a couple of deep breath and relax myself as best as possible. Another thing Iíll do is make sure I have some GUM to chew while Iím on the drivers stand. I will put my nervous energy into chewing the gum instead of shaking.

Hope this helps
Team R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:14 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tip

Quote:
Lay off the Sugar and Cafinee(sp) on race days.....you would be suprized how much this helps with the shakes.
No don't, all it does is give you one hell of a headach.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:47 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
Gil Losi Jr. had the most hand shaking while driving that I have seen in recent history.
Yeah but in Junior's situation, he's not nervous it just something he does...
Old 04-10-2003, 10:58 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
If someone is trying to lap you then holding them back is a very bad idea. I've been in both positions, I still regularly am, and have had lots of practise of what to do in both situations. It's much better to let a lapping driver past, or even someone at the start of the race who you know is considerably faster than you but got off to a bad start although if they're only slightly faster then by all means race them properly. By running wide and slowing down a little more in one corner to let someone past you are likely to loose less than half a second. If you hold them up they are likely to be unsure of your next move, slower drivers are generaly more erratic or take poorer racing lines so as the faster car tries to take an overtaking line through a corner it may intersect where the slower car is heading and cause a crash, loosing more like 5 seconds. More importantly what would you rather have, a driver coming up to you at the end of a race and getting angry at you for loosing him a race or a driver coming up to you and thanking you for being curtias and probably making a friend.

rant over
"P.s. If your in front of somebody you have right of way, it's their job to pass you."

I didn't say get in there way and piss them off if there lapping you, I was saying run your own race and your own lines. If there lapping you there obviously faster and you should be curtious and let them through but if it's for position focus on your car not their's, obviously don't annoy them by cutting them off and such but you do have a right to hold your position and lines if it's for position. Once again if it's for position it is their job to pass you and you do have right of way.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote