R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Post your Battery Maching Successes/Failures

I am considering the purchase of a battery matcher, post your successes and/or your horror stories.

What brands of matchers are out there?

Thanks
Allan
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

A guy I race with has the CE. He always has some smokin' horsepower. I think he sells some packs around the shop. It costs a lot to get a big batch of cells, but if he can sell a decent number of them, he doesn't do too bad. You would have to be ready for a large up front cost, then sell some competitively. You may not make any money for some time, depending on the volume you could sell.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Tech Master

Profit is a secondary purchase point for me right now.

My son and I raced a very rigorous winter on-road season and spent probably $350 on new and used batts initially, some we inherited or were donated.

I picked up a Zero-30 discharge tray a few weeks back to go along with the two smart trays we used all season. I noticed that after a run on certain packs that one cell had no juice left while the others had a lot more left in them.

I'd like to weed out the weak/almost dead cells and re-assemble the good ones into usable packs.

Next on-road season, I anticipate running 4-6 cars out of our pits, thus, the need for lots of batteries!

Allan
Old 04-30-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Tech Master

Side Bar:

Sportpak, where are you in relation to Elkhart, IN? I am running down there from MN for a wedding July 21 Then on to Detroit for a few days. Is there any racing that way?

Allan
Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
Tech Elite

I am writing the software for the new Competition Electronics TM-8 Battery Matcher. Should be available in the very near future.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/tm8.html

They have already sold a large number of these matchers, so if you want one you should call and get on the list soon.

Official software of: ROAR Nationals, IIC, Cactus Classic, Indoor Champs, Reedy Race and Trackside Hobbies in Brookfield, WI!
RC Scoring Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline Racing
Profit is a secondary purchase point for me right now.

My son and I raced a very rigorous winter on-road season and spent probably $350 on new and used batts initially, some we inherited or were donated.

I picked up a Zero-30 discharge tray a few weeks back to go along with the two smart trays we used all season. I noticed that after a run on certain packs that one cell had no juice left while the others had a lot more left in them.

I'd like to weed out the weak/almost dead cells and re-assemble the good ones into usable packs.

Next on-road season, I anticipate running 4-6 cars out of our pits, thus, the need for lots of batteries!

Allan
I have hade very good luck with CTX-D2 discharger. I charged all my race packs and re matched them on 30Amp pulse discharge mode. After that just put a small stickers on each cell with its discharge time and IR. Later, when all packs are done, sort out week cells, have to rebuild your packs, that way you get "rocket" packs and whats left can be used for practice.

Worked for me perfectly
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Tech Elite

match in a warm room
and have it the same temp all the time
use CE matcher
it can be fun to see what you get.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Scoring Pro
I am writing the software for the new Competition Electronics TM-8 Battery Matcher. Should be available in the very near future.

http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/tm8.html

They have already sold a large number of these matchers, so if you want one you should call and get on the list soon.

$2000

Last edited by GymBeam; 04-30-2007 at 09:20 PM.
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote