R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2003, 10:03 AM   #16
Tech Adept

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: New Tamiya Motors

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Try out about a 5.8~6.0 range and see how it performs...
Almost every 23T Stock that I use ...I gear in the 4.95~6.0 Range...with 6.0 being the upper limmit
-Dave
I thought the convention was that if your motor was too hot, the thing to do is to raise the gear ratio, or "shift down (in car terms)". I can understand running at constant high rpm generating heat, but doesn't overloading the motor (with a low gear ratio, kind of like trying to accelerate a car in 5th gear) also produce heat?

In any event, I'm going to follow your advice. Thanks.
Iso Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:19 AM   #17
Tech Master

Motors seem to have a "sweet spot" for their gearing. If you are undergeared, motor generates heat via the motor over revving, if overgeared, well motor is just overgeared =) So there is quite a difficulty in finding this sweet spot, imho.

For modifieds it is easier, i follow this chart I found somewhere on the web. It lists motors' gearing via rollout.

ROAR Stock 30.99 to 34.38
17 turn 31.08 to 31.86
16 turn 29.47 to 30.30
15 turn 27.86 to 28.68
14 turn 27.08
13 turn 26.28
12 turn 25.53
11 turn 24.69
10 turn 23.88
9 turn 23.10

The number is the rollout of the motor; for those unfamiliar with rollout it's

rollout = (tire height x 3.142) / final drive

Therefore; adjust your final drive to meet the rollout. Rollout above is in mm if I am not mistaken.

Finally a disclaimer: With all these new motors coming out, i am uncertain if this guide is to be followed....
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:35 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

nice info alvin...dun't think rollout is mm....unless fd is measured in mm...what is fd measured in?

tire height (mm) x fd (units?) = mm x units
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:40 AM   #19
Tech Master

When you divide the circumference of the tire by the final drive, it means that for ONE revolution of the motor, how many mm the tire travels.... If i am not mistaken... i.e. it relates the revolutions of the motor to the revolutions of the tire.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:19 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

this is from black knight in the Evo 3 thread...poped it up...very useful!

ORIGINALLY FROM BLACK KNIGHT
Gearing the TB Evo III for modified racing:

Ok here is what i have discovered.

1. Stick to 64 pitch gears (0.4 module is the same), you will not fit bigger than the supplied 96 spur gear onto the car, 112 and up appear to be too big. This calculation is based on 64mm tire/wheel diameter.

(there is no chance of fitting 86 or 90 tooth 48 pitch gears they are too big, anything smaller is not suitable). 81 may fit??? i did not have one handy.

2. A good starting ratio for a 9 turn would be 23 - 24mm roll out. This would involve using a 96 spur with a 29 pinion, i have set my car up with this combo...so we know it fits.

This is the starting ratio i use for most race meets (depending on track), i use this ratio with my 414 and Corally C4.1.

I would normally end up gearing up taller...but the above mentioned ratio is a good starting point. I's also recommend sticking with 64 pitch as the gears appear smoother and the car is quieter.

If you want a copy of my rollout chart for the 414 or TB Evo grab it via this link... (right click the link and choose "save target as")

Gearing the TB Evo III for modified racing:

Ok here is what i have discovered.

1. Stick to 64 pitch gears (0.4 module is the same), you will not fit bigger than the supplied 96 spur gear onto the car, 112 and up appear to be too big. This calculation is based on 64mm tire/wheel diameter.

(there is no chance of fitting 86 or 90 tooth 48 pitch gears they are too big, anything smaller is not suitable). 81 may fit??? i did not have one handy.

2. A good starting ratio for a 9 turn would be 23 - 24mm roll out. This would involve using a 96 spur with a 29 pinion, i have set my car up with this combo...so we know it fits.

This is the starting ratio i use for most race meets (depending on track), i use this ratio with my 414 and Corally C4.1.

I would normally end up gearing up taller...but the above mentioned ratio is a good starting point. I's also recommend sticking with 64 pitch as the gears appear smoother and the car is quieter.

If you want a copy of my rollout chart for the 414 or TB Evo grab it via this link... (right click the link and choose "save target as")

Ratio / Rollout Chart : http://www.teamshelteredworkshop.com/rolloutchart.xls
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 11:56 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin
JDM_DOHC_SiR,
Have you ever raced a HPI Super Stock 23T? What ratio were you using with it? The one I used came with stand up brushes... thanks!
Hi Alvin

The Hpi Super Stock is a pretty Good motor but the New L version is better..they are both based off of Orions Speed Demon 23T's
anyways I gear mine in the 5.85 range on tight tracks and on a Big High speed Tracks...I go down to 5.5

-Dave

BTW what other 23T's do you run! I have a bunch of them
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote