R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Have you tried a Futaba-brand receiver? I know the Novak is supposedly universal but I have always seen issues with mix-and-match tx/rx combos.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Keep the reicever as far away from other electonics as possible, especially the motor because of the electro magnetic field. Also, if the wires from your battery pack runs right by the reicever, that can cause problems. All of these things can cause glitching.
Little_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Novak XXL FM 75mHz

That's your problem, which is not a bash on Novak, since I know Bob personally. You should use a Futaba reciever, and at Tamiya America's R&D facility 27 band is a must. This will keep the glitch gremlins at bay. One other recommendation is try the new Futaba FASST which seems to be the way to go.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #19
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Novak XXL FM 75mHz

That's your problem, which is not a bash on Novak, since I know Bob personally. You should use a Futaba reciever, and at Tamiya America's R&D facility 27 band is a must. This will keep the glitch gremlins at bay. One other recommendation is try the new Futaba FASST which seems to be the way to go.
So you're saying 27mHz over 75Mhz??? That seems contradictory to what I have heard before.
AWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had severe glitching issues on my TA05 running a GTX speedo and a Futaba 3PM radio on FM 75 MHz channels. After much fruitless troubleshooting, I called Futaba and they had me send in my transmitter. They replaced several components free of charge and shipped it back. Everything now works perfectly. Our track supposedly has issues here and there with interference on certain bands or channels and blah blah. Two of which I use. But it really was just a faulty radio.

With bad glitching, I suspect that it's more often the case than not that a radio component is faulty. Mine was progressive, it went from annoying to bad to completely undrivable over a month's time. Don't waste too much time trying to make space where there is none on a touring car. The bottom line is that space is tight and your gear either works or it doesn't. Call Futaba and send in your radio. I'll bet that's it. BTW, it was out my door and back to me in two week's time.
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Tamiya Track=27Mhz or 2.4Ghz

If you don't believe me, go ahead and ask Dave Jun,Fred Medel or my brother what they run at Tamiya. I'll bet their answer will be 2.4Ghz and before that 27Mhz. I was on 75Mhz before and it was NFG. Since I went to 27Mhz no more glitching at all.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
AWK
Tech Fanatic

I definately believe you, just seems odd to hear that after all these years. I would rather spend the cash on the 2.4gHz systems rather than a 27mHz at this point.

Well thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to try a Futaba receiver and some of the other tips from here first. If none of that works, then I am going to push for the 2.4gHz system which most likely will be an eventual purchase anyways.

the most frustrating thing of this whole mess is that there is no way for me to test this until the track is open on Saturday. So I wait all week, drive there, and if it doesn't work, paack right up and leave.

Hey gtypecanare...you able to get me into the track during the week???
Old 05-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #23
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Just to give an update as to what happend: I tried all of the tips given here, switched to a Futaba receiver and........same results. I am now going to sell off my 75mHz stuff and invest in a Futaba 3PM Fasst system and hope that fixes my problems.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #24
Tech Master

Just a thought, it can't be seen on the pictures but...

Do the plugs for the servo and the speedo have the metal bits used to keep the plugs in the plastic case facing each other ? I have seen this happens, unsolveable glitches that were due to the plugs shorting on each other...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #25
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the tip, just checked but no they are not facing each other. I have NEVER had any sort of glitching like this before. Guys with a similar setup and the same equipment don't have problems but I do. It's just a tad aggrivating!!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:12 AM   #26
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Ok guys, check this out. Here is a video I did of the car sitting on my desk after a complete rewire. Let me know if anyone can give more advice now. And yes, the motor was just rebuilt! Hasn't had even a full 3 laps on it due to the glitch.

Works best to save target as, but it is only a little over 5mb, and about 7sec. long.

http://www.simcargrafx.com/downloads/carking/glitch.AVI
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM   #27
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Ok, so I tried a silver can with no glitching. As I went to undo the silver can, i knocked over a container with some capacitors, and soldered one on. Sure enough.....no more SEVERE glitch. So I will buy a new radio this week, take the car to the track and try it before I install a new radio, and if it still sucks, I can put in the new radio and see what happens.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
Tech Apprentice

is the glitching occuring where you are pulling the most rpm on the track? is the glitching occurring right as you chop the throttle preparing for a corner? it seems like these two areas create the most brush arcing which can cause the glitch. two of the easiest and cheapest solutions are install three extra motor capacitors and make sure your transmitter batteries are FULLY charged. these two things tend to help any motor caused glitching. also trying a lower power motor (like you already tried) is a great way of finding the source of the glitch. good luck
johnnyblade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #29
AWK
Tech Fanatic

Yeah it seems the extra capacitor will fix it. The glitch comes more at the high rpms than anywhere else.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Glitching sucks, I've seen problematic motors to be the source of glitching issues and only deserve a proper burial in the trash.