Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not Going Strait

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Not Going Strait

I have a TAO4R as you might know . Ive got some upgrades on it and i was wondering why it isn't going strait. if adjusted the trim and the servo many times and it it strait but when i accelerate or stop fast the car drifts and sometimes completely spins out without me even touching the stearing. Im stuck and cant figure out why.

Old 04-08-2003, 05:11 PM
R/C Tech Founder

On acceleration, make sure that your bearings are clean from side to side (no dragging) and that your toe-in/out on the front is adjusted correctly, same for camber. Any differences in the suspension from side to side will cause that behavior.

For braking, if you have a one-way differential in the car you may experience this, though with careful lubrication and tuning of the suspension it can be prevented.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Ive adjusted the toe in and out but is there an upgrade for the arms that adjust the toe in/out. it seems that mine are flexing alot.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you use a tweak board? If yes, then check the tweak board itself because I had a laser tweak board that the laser was OUT of tweak and I almost went nuts getting my car to go straight.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

TAO4R - Make sure you haven't slightly bent any metal suspension pieces and that the shock collars on the shocks are equal on the front and equal on the rear. Also check tweak.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
Did you use a tweak board? If yes, then check the tweak board itself because I had a laser tweak board that the laser was OUT of tweak and I almost went nuts getting my car to go straight.
No i dont have a tweak board but thnx any ways
Old 04-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tweaked, tweak board???

Originally posted by Kenneth Tan
Very easy to check. Just put the Bars upside down on a perfectly flat surface (like tempered glass or a Granite plate) turn on the Laser. If the alignment is correct, the Laser should be pointing at the center line. If it is off, I would send it back for replacement, recalibration.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default TAO4R;

Not having a Tweak Station, make absolutely sure that the left & right shocks are the EXACT same length. I use a Digital Caliper modified to measure the Center to center length of my shocks. I shoot for a MAX difference of .001 with .0005 prefered. You would be amazed at much more pressure a shock a few .000 longer will put on a wheel, causing the car to pull. If you do not have access to Calipers, a Machinist ruler or shock building fixture can get you pretty close.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Tweaked, tweak board???

Originally posted by popsracer
Very easy to check. Just put the Bars upside down on a perfectly flat surface (like tempered glass or a Granite plate) turn on the Laser. If the alignment is correct, the Laser should be pointing at the center line. If it is off, I would send it back for replacement, recalibration.
Yup. That's what I did, and now my car is straight again! I never sent it back for recalibration anyway. I opened up the laser end, loosened the screw and readjusted the laser, while putting both bars on a flatboard.

Last edited by Kenneth Tan; 04-08-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:53 PM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

The spinout could be caused by a loose or missing kingpin, which the TA04R is very prone to. You probably want to tighten those up after every run because if you lose one, your race is finished.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Tech Adept

k ill check thnx
Old 04-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Tech Adept

Could it be the turnbuckle shafts flexing when i acelerate?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Let me have a look at your car! Come to PYC on Saturday and look for me! I'll be running a TA04R with a "Pink" shell! There can be a number of things for the car not running straight...the TA04 is one of the easiest cars to set right......mine tracks true even with an amazing amount of play in the steering...I simply can't be asked to get round to replacing the ball cups!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

i would but im on vacation right now. but thinx anyways though. Maybe another time
Old 04-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Tech Adept

The car turns allright. the main problem is when i accelerate at a low speed the car goes strait but when i accerate at a high speed the car tends to drift to the side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.