Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TAO4R Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 04:43 PM
Tech Adept

TAO4R Upgrades

I have a TAO4R and i want to get max performance out of it. I all ready have some upgrades on it but i know there's still lots more to get. What are some good upgrades for a TAO4R that improve performance.

Old 04-08-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey TA04,

The BEST hop-up for theTA04 is to get a TRF 414M2! This will save you a fortune in hop-ups and the 414M2 needs very little out of the box except a rack of tires, oils and a body.

Cheers/Chip
Old 04-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

I tought about that but then i fugured a TRF MII is to expensive all ready. Ive also allready spent quite a bit on but TAO4R.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

You can buy them new for $250 and used for $150-$200 depending on condition and spares included.

Cheers
Old 04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default some TA04-R upgrades

the TA04-R includes many of the upgrades that you will need for competative racing. I have added some others to mine, but not sure that any are REQUIRED.

- carbon fiber shock mounts
- hard suspension arms (stiffer and better for carpet)
- different chassis plates (I have tub ..for GT2/3 class, saddle pack CF chassis, and stick pack CF chassis).
- titanium turnbuckles
- alum servo mounts
- front one-way

I also have aluminum steering system coming that I hope will help me tighten up the steering slop.

Some of the keys I have found are to make sure you balance the shocks to have identical rebound ....or you can go crazy chasing tweak!

I have a Evo3 that I will be running next weekend...and we will see how the ta-04r compares. I expect the evo3 to be more like my fttc3 for quick acceleration, but hope the handling is more like my ta-04r.

Good luck with yours!
Ken
Old 04-08-2003, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Thnx. Good luck to you too. My friend has a EVO 3 and the way that ours drive is quite similar. his has a little better accell though.
Do the Aluminum turnbuckles help the car steering stay more stiff. because my TAO4R drift when i accelerate. ive adjusted them many times and the trim but it still drift. would aluminum turnbuckles help?
Thnx again and good luck with the EVO 3
Old 04-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

no the titanium turnbuckles do not affect steering, they will just resist bending more than alum or steel ones in a crash. they may be a bit lighter but not noticable.

the steering issue is likely one of 5 things:

- steering slop (wiggle the wheels and see how much slop you have and try an elimiate that with o-rings or anything you can (without binding it). keep in mind that a little slop will translater into a feeling of wander and fighting to keep straight in a long straightaway.

- steering system binding and not alowing free movement. uncommon, but make sure bearings are free and steering is not tight.

- unbalanced driveline (right to left), bearings equal right/left, make sure wheel nuts are not tightened too hard (esp if you are using the stock plastic wheel hexes). If you tighten down too hard that wheel hex will bind against the bearing/hub carrier and drag unevenly. I recommend using clamp style hex clamps, and also use low profile wheel nuts (with full nylon) like Trinity's...so you get full holding power without having to over tighten them.

-tweak (could be shock pressure, or other std tweak causes)

-servo not centering properly. unless you are using a stock (like Fut 3003) servo this is likely not the case, but some servos struggle with snappy centering. Digital servos are best for sure fire centering but I have had good luck with other high speed hitec and futaba servos.

Good luck!
Old 04-08-2003, 10:44 PM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

The TA04R is notorious for steering slop and the aluminum steering will not improve things for you. I think you are on the right track by using some kind of shim to reduce the slop but I don't think you'll be able to get it all out.

The TB Evo has a lot less steering slop, don't you think? I haven't raced mine yet, but on the street, it seems to have far superior handling to my TA04R. I can't wait to get it in a race soon!
Old 04-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Could it be the turnbuckle shafts flexing when i acelerate?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dont you think the new TA04-TRF is a good deal? Quite expensive though but just the looks of it could be a killa.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

im not much of a TA04 guy...but it seems like it's the same...w/ front one way and silver surface graphite chassi.... well it looks pretty
Old 04-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Yah its kinda cool but if you were going to spend the $$$ on that you may as well spend a couple extra bucks and get a real TRF MII or somethin.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by DNQ
The TA04R is notorious for steering slop and the aluminum steering will not improve things for you.
"Notorious"!? I didn't think it was that bad. The slop is obviously from the ball&cups connections, all 5 of them that make up the steering system.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Tech Adept

So how can i fix that?.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:47 PM
Tech Addict

best bet is to get new ballcups and I think the aluminum steering bits will also reduce slop but I don't have mine yet...so don't know. will keep you posted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.