R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #46
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Here in the US belt cars are the flavor of the month period!! In Japan 23T stock shaft, mod belt. If you are running in stock rubber the faster car will be the shaft car, if your running mod run a belt. We are all sheep and we go were the trends are and belt cars are the trend in the US.
gijoe64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What drawbacks to belts???

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
What drawbacks to belts???
The drivetrain is not as free as a shaft car so you have less drag on the car great for stock racing.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #49
Tech Master

Also most car manufactures cannot afford to build 2 different types of cars, this is only seen in the Japanise market. Most sponsered drivers race mod and so a belt car is more favored than a shaft car so manufactures have gone to belt to save money, and the headache of tooling two different types of cars.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 PM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Drivetrain isnt free? What car are you referring to? If there are gears meeting gears like in shaft cars vs pulleys meeting belts, I think that the drivetrain to the belt car would be smoother.... . Looking at my Pro4 against my Cyclone, I find the Cyclone to be much smoother than my Pro4...and my Pro4 was baby butt butter smooth And for the record, there is much more of a world out there than stock racing. Wonder why nitro cats give no respect to electric? Look at you guys talking about stock like it's FAST. 27 mph is for Radio Shack cars.

And on the note of companies not being able to afford it...hogwash. They go with what performs. Heck, top companies have sponsored drivers AND shaft as well as belt not to mention a bevy of other vehicles....Tamiya and Kyosho come to mind.

I gear to run and win, not to THERMAL!
bxpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #51
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxpitbull
Drivetrain isnt free? What car are you referring to? If there are gears meeting gears like in shaft cars vs pulleys meeting belts, I think that the drivetrain to the belt car would be smoother.... . Looking at my Pro4 against my Cyclone, I find the Cyclone to be much smoother than my Pro4...and my Pro4 was baby butt butter smooth And for the record, there is much more of a world out there than stock racing. Wonder why nitro cats give no respect to electric? Look at you guys talking about stock like it's FAST. 27 mph is for Radio Shack cars.

And on the note of companies not being able to afford it...hogwash. They go with what performs. Heck, top companies have sponsored drivers AND shaft as well as belt not to mention a bevy of other vehicles....Tamiya and Kyosho come to mind.
Let's throw the Pro4 out, TC3 super smooth the Tamiya EVO4/5 excllent cars and smoother than a belt car any day, a gear/ bevel drive train is more efficent than a belt their is no drag in the system and thats a fact.

Stock class racing is the most popular form of racing in the US period! Always have been, and in Japan 23T stock racing is king and 70% of the racers there drive shaft cars, do your home work. I have been at this for awhile and don't want to ge into a pissing match the facts are shaft is better in stock racing.

It's about money and most manufactures don't have the revnue to support 2 types of touring cars in Japan business are subsidized by the government and so large comapnies can be more free about what type of cars they make, but here in the US and EU it is different and it is more economical to go with one chassi and improve upon it. Do you know how much tooling and marketing cost, I do.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #52
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64
The drivetrain is not as free as a shaft car so you have less drag on the car great for stock racing.
Look ....with no load the shaft spins freely right? Put a load on the shaft car and the sweeping action of the pinion against the bevel gear has way more sweeping against each other, when the gears mesh together its the sweeping action that is very unefficient and takes more force and WAY MORE WARE ON THE BEVEL GEARS AND PINION GEARS TO MOVE THE SHAFT..

With belts the movement is front to back just going over the pulleys is more efficient than the sweeping action of two different size bevel/pinion gears.

Just because it spins freely with no motor doenst mean its has less drag under a load..

Under a load the belt car will always have the edge, were as the shaft with the sweeping action of the two gears meshing together will have even more power loss due to friction and the sweeping of the gears..

Shafts got belted..
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #53
Suspended

Side Note....we live in the US right?

Japan has nothing to do with the US market running stock it just goes to show that in Japan they run a lot of stock..

We run BL/BR mod motors way more than the average folks in Japan..
Japan lots of 23 turn , not much mod..

We have two transplant racers from Japan that only run HPI cars including the cyclone now..
They would run stock W/ the pro 4s and get spank everyweek , not because they cant drive , its the inconsistant driveability of the shaft car ...
High traction on a small track you need to be consistant , when switching to the cyclone both of these guys are stock kings every night..

Once they got that shafts cars arent that efficient out of there mind , they saw the light..

Hiro and Taka thanks for coming and racing in the US..
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J
......................................__................................................
.............................,-~*`¯lllllll`*~,..........................................
.......................,-~*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll¯`*-,....................................
..................,-~*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*-,..................................
...............,-*llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll..................................
.............;*`lllllllllllllllllllllllllll,-~*~-,llllllllllllllllllll................................
..............lllllllllllllllllllllllllll/.........;;;;llllllllllll,-`~-,...........................
...............lllllllllllllllllllll,-*...........`~-~-,...(.(¯`*,`,..........................
................llllllllllll,-~*.....................)_-..*`*;..)..........................
.................,-*`¯,*`)............,-~*`~................/.....................
..................|/.../.../~,......-~*,-~*`;................/...................
................./.../.../.../..,-,..*~,.`*~*................*....................
................|.../.../.../.*`..............................)....)¯`~,..................
................|./.../..../.......)......,.)`*~-,............/....|..)...`~-,.............
..............././.../...,*`-,.....`-,...*`....,---........../...../..|.........¯```*~-,,,,
...............(..........)`*~-,....`*`.,-~*.,-*......|.../..../.../....................
................*-,.......`*-,...`~,..``.,,,-*..........|.,*...,*...|......................
...................*,.........`-,...)-,..............,-*`...,-*....(`-,...................
......................f`-,.........`-,/...*-,___,,-~*....,-*......|...`-,..................
OH BOY... WHEN WOULD IT STOP??? I put it this way this is a never ending topic everyone has there own opinion, so be it. Both shaft and belts have there advantages and disadvantages at the end of the day it's all personal preference and both shaft and belts performs great in there own ways. Both are great to run. I look at it this way it's not the car that makes the performance it's the drivers on how they set up there cars to perform. I can build both to run smooth and fast and handle great, if you know what you are doing belts or shafts don't really matter, Yes you can make both types of cars run smooth, it's all opinion and personal preference, Guy's run what you like and enjoy the hobby if you are a true hobbiest It really doesn't matter what you run as long as your cars are set up right you will be always competitive. TAKE CARE...
Old 06-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #55
Tech Initiate

YAY for belts!!!
viper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:21 PM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Well, I may be new to this forum, but never new to RC :P, belt's have come a long way, and while I'm sure they are much better than when I had them, it's still a belt, and belt's strip/break easily.

For that guy that doesn't know what torque steer, it's normally when you accelerate and the car jumps to a side, it's power , happens in real cars too.

Shafts are good for bashing around, but you can't bash with a belt, it's not smart, you will be stripping the belts, little rocks=death :P.

All of you using Torque steer as a con for shaft, it all depends on the car, my TC3 NEVER, EVER torque steered even with a 14t, and, it makes more sense that the belts have more drag, since there is more gears, and more moving parts. The shaft has the shaft straight to the drivetrain.

I'm not out to get flamed, but as it has been stated, there isn't a better one, they are different, I personally like shafts, but I'm lazy as hell, so the less I have to take the car apart, the better, hell with messing with tensioning and crap, that's what real cars are for.

And before you say, "Oh but the shaft can break!" Yea, it can, but only if you let it, belt is much easier to mess up .
Havoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:23 PM   #57
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoxx View Post
...and, it makes more sense that the belts have more drag, since there is more gears, and more moving parts. The shaft has the shaft straight to the drivetrain.
4 pulleys, a spur and a pinion VS. 4 bevel gears, a spur and a pinion

hardly more gears.
WayzOfTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #58
Tech Elite

Do you need an opinion from others to decide for yourself?
MrUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote