R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-25-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default How many people watch your races?

Was curious how many people attended your local tracks races to watch? I would say at the track in Dayton, OH on a good day gets about 150-250 people throughout the day that come to watch. The most at one time is maybe 75. They are in a primo location near a mall off a busy road with nearby restaurants (those waiting for a table come to watch). I would guess the track is responsible for about 3 accidents a summer from rubberneckers. Unfortunately it doesnt seem to bring in a lot of new racers.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Tech Addict

You guys may have the spectator record for the US. 75+ is actually very impressive.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Thats sad. I would guess the indoor tracks get very little spectators. I also assume most of the parking lot tracks are a bit hidden, not sure. I guess we are lucky. i just wish it actually brought more racers.

The restaurant near there lets people that are waiting know that their "buzzers" work at our track. That helps a lot. I guess if the alternative to waiting in a crowded lobby is to watch toy cars then toy cars arent that bad.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Thats sad. I would guess the indoor tracks get very little spectators. I also assume most of the parking lot tracks are a bit hidden, not sure. I guess we are lucky. i just wish it actually brought more racers.
Most tracks are on cheap land.

Cheap land = hidden or distance from foot traffic.

Hobby shops and tracks for the most part are not huge empires.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Our local parking lot track is based on a major shopping street in KC, so when we race on Sunday, we usually get huge spectator crowds. Its hard to say how many because some people come out, sit down and watch, others just stop for 20-30 minutes in their cars and watch then head out. We had an off season out there last year, with a lot of rain outs and other stuff, but we're hoping to get the spectator attendance back up to what it used to be.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid
Our local parking lot track is based on a major shopping street in KC, so when we race on Sunday, we usually get huge spectator crowds. Its hard to say how many because some people come out, sit down and watch, others just stop for 20-30 minutes in their cars and watch then head out. We had an off season out there last year, with a lot of rain outs and other stuff, but we're hoping to get the spectator attendance back up to what it used to be.
The more I learn about KC the more it sounds like the Dayton/Cincinnati racing. Id like to go out there sometime to check it out.

Last edited by or8ital; 04-25-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

prob around 25 to 50 throughout the 6 hour race day. around 10 at any 1 time, most are kids with parents, but doesnt attract any of them to actually race
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hobbytown that we use to race at had the races on sunday when the other 2 stores a hair salon and a foot doctor were closed. it was a nice location in a strip with a staples a krogers a couple resturants and a about 20 other smaller stores. but the rent was high if I remember right it was like 7000 a month for probably 3000 sqft he found another strip mall about 2 miles down the road and got it for like 3000 but then he had no traffic as the one whole building was an office for a realtor. and then it's gone down hill from there.

location location location
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RoachRacing Send a message via AIM to RoachRacing Send a message via Yahoo to RoachRacing

We race in the parking lot right outside my hobby shop. On average we have 75 people watching at all times, when it warms up. As soon as the nitro engines start up people come running. Plus I started a 18r box stock class this year. Nothing like having someone watch us practicing and go into the shop and buy a 18r, charger, extra battery and start racing THAT DAY.

Nash is right "location location location" I looked for about 8 months for a good spot to open a shop. Found a great place, a little more money then I wanted to pay rent wise but it is paying off.

Here are some pictures from racing last year. Nobody sitting on the grass is there with a racer all true spectators. Almost all the cars around the track have a few people in them watching.

Corey
Attached Thumbnails
How many people watch your races?-apex8th1.jpg   How many people watch your races?-apex8th3.jpg  
RoachRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!

I just moved my hobby shop, from its formal location of 20 years, to its new home. At the old location rent was high and a track was not an option.
I was very lucky when I purchased this new property. I feel that this new location may in fact be the perfect environment for getting spectators for our races.

The shop and track are directly in the middle of a fun park (mini golf, go karts, arcade). There is a hotel directly across the street to one side, and six acres of parking on another side. During the peak summer months the mini-golf has 2000-3000 customer each weekend. (The track and the mini-golf are less than 20ft apart!)

Check it out at, www.rchobbiesraceway.com
Attached Thumbnails
How many people watch your races?-img_0968.jpg   How many people watch your races?-img_0957.jpg   How many people watch your races?-img_0958.jpg   How many people watch your races?-img_0965.jpg   How many people watch your races?-img_0991.jpg  

Last edited by mrrcguy; 04-26-2007 at 09:28 AM.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:41 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
The more I learn about KC the more it sounds like the Dayton/Cincinnati racing. Id like to go out there sometime to check it out.
Come on down to one of our "big" races at Fastlane some time. We usually do one later in the year. It's a fun crowd, people here (except for me) are pretty nice. :-) Foam, carpet, you know the drill.

Darkseed is right, those Hobbytown races are in a massively populated area. I haven't raced out there with them yet (the KC summer heat ruins me), but when I stop by to watch, there's a ton of people there. It's in a VERY busy shopping center on the busiest street in a very busy part of town. Great exposure.

The indoor track is on the fringes of town in a warehouse, so the foot traffic is low, but we get a few people stopping in and watching for a while.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Our carpet track is downstairs at the hobby shop. The most people I've ever seen there watching is about 15. Usually its zero, just racers...
Warhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Default How many?

We just put on a race in Homestead Florida at the Speedway during the INDY car race.

The spectators watching the R/C racing were too many to count. They were 3 to 6 people deep all around the track.

Here's some pictures for those of you that haven't seen or heard of our event held last March. The full write up will be in next months RC Car.

Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:41 AM   #14
Tech Adept

I run this track in the UK (see attachment) which is part of a large weekend complex which during the summer months has several thousand visitors per weekend. You have to pass the track to get round the complex so I suppose we may get quite a large proportion of them stopping to watch.
The building at the top of the picture is the trackside shop, which has now doubled in size since this picture was taken
Attached Thumbnails
How many people watch your races?-aerial-111.jpg  
jonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wow huge crowds there!
GymBeam is offline   Reply With Quote