R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-26-2007, 07:59 AM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrg
I run this track in the UK (see attachment) which is part of a large weekend complex which during the summer months has several thousand visitors per weekend. You have to pass the track to get round the complex so I suppose we may get quite a large proportion of them stopping to watch.
The building at the top of the picture is the trackside shop, which has now doubled in size since this picture was taken
Is this independently owned?
Or is this facility backed by local tax payers in a park or donated to racers by the park or is the owner a millionaire with the cash to invest.
I mean absolutely awesome place.
Some one obviously has it figured out. The UK has some nice tracks.
Maybe we could learn how they got it to grow to that level.
I have often thought maybe we should go to parks and recreation to get a facility like that, same as our airplane hobbyist did?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That track is Snetterton. It's the official tamiya track and is very nice. In the UK clubs can ask the government for free land to build a track on. It's not easy to get but it is possible. Many tracks also receive help from the national lottery charity fund. They give grants to help good causes start up. I think we're spoilt in England as we have many very good tracks; Halifax, Snetterton, Costwolds, West London, Stafford etc... There are at least 10 top quality permanent tracks here.

Have you seen the new cml raceway? It's off-road but the facility is awesome. The drivers stand is an open top bus!!!

Link: http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/cmlraceway291006/
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
Tech Addict

One sad thing is in the US many, if not all states have programs that will give land for public use for activities that are sponsored by clubs (little league, soccer, skateboard parks etc.)

We rarely if ever take advantage of this as we are for the most part lazy. If we were to take even a small part of the energy that we all use to complain and used to it to organize and attend some city council meetings and present the need and explain how the land could be maintained many would be amazed at how many tracks could be put in place.

Think of all the other things like skateboard parks and basketball courts these things to many in the public eye are not desirable but they fill many of the small nitches that are found in public use land the same spots could be used for "R/C/ courts" this would provide a excellent sulution as it would be easy to maintain, used by all ages many of whome will be [this is important]: land owning, tax paying registered to vote, adults!

Promote that a club can run events and even provide city racing series.

It also provides a venue for public entertainment as spectators can come and watch the races.

Tell them you simply need a black top area with some covered area for pit space a set of bleachers on one side and a drivers stand for the other with a chainlink fence around the whole thing for security. Compared to a skatepark or the maintenance of a Soccer field an R/C track is pennies on the dollar. You could even charge a fee to race or practice and the land can generate money for the city.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Snetterton was built by the owner of Snetterton Park as an attraction for the punters visiting the rest of the site. Whilst it is the official track of Tamiya in the UK no money has been put into the track by Tamiya or any other outside parties. The track is open Monday to Friday from 9.00am until about 5.00pm for practice and at weekends we try to run organised meetings once every 2 weeks with the remaining weekend open for practice. This year we are running 2 rounds of the UK Nationals, 1 for 19 turn and another for 27 turn and Modified. Also 2 rounds of Tamiya Eurocup and a rounds of the Schumacher BTCC, 1/5th Scale RC Bike National and the Southern Touring Car Championship.
jonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

That sounds easy enough to do, but trust me it is not. You have to be persistant and professional in your approach. Land is expensive, and State/County people do not want to give thier land up to fringe hobbies-clubs. On top of that, the cost to prep land and lay asphalt is pretty high. Our club has secured an old Roller Hockey Rink to race in, but all the improvements come out of our pocket. We are currently working with another town for a 1/8 scale On Road and Off Road facility, and we have 120,000 large slated for the budget ( and that is really not enough). This process has taken YEARS to come to fruition ( still not there). We have done pitches to City councils and Park Commissions, while most are positive, some are downright ugly. Basically The Older Board memebers do nto get the point of the hobby, and when they hear racing, they think of Nascar. For the msot part, the board members dont want "That Element" in thier towns. I tis toght road, and it can be accomplished, but it not as easy as you make it out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
One sad thing is in the US many, if not all states have programs that will give land for public use for activities that are sponsored by clubs (little league, soccer, skateboard parks etc.)

We rarely if ever take advantage of this as we are for the most part lazy. If we were to take even a small part of the energy that we all use to complain and used to it to organize and attend some city council meetings and present the need and explain how the land could be maintained many would be amazed at how many tracks could be put in place.

Think of all the other things like skateboard parks and basketball courts these things to many in the public eye are not desirable but they fill many of the small nitches that are found in public use land the same spots could be used for "R/C/ courts" this would provide a excellent sulution as it would be easy to maintain, used by all ages many of whome will be [this is important]: land owning, tax paying registered to vote, adults!

Promote that a club can run events and even provide city racing series.

It also provides a venue for public entertainment as spectators can come and watch the races.

Tell them you simply need a black top area with some covered area for pit space a set of bleachers on one side and a drivers stand for the other with a chainlink fence around the whole thing for security. Compared to a skatepark or the maintenance of a Soccer field an R/C track is pennies on the dollar. You could even charge a fee to race or practice and the land can generate money for the city.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Default How many?

Tim you're correct.

I've been dealing with the City of Tampa for some time.

The big problem is that RC is not looked at like a Sport. If you go to your local govt and ask them to help with a baseball project, you'll have no problems.

The RC world has done very little in the past 30-35 years to promote the Sport of RC racing to the "Mainstream Population" so, when you talk to people outside of RC, they don't have a clue.

Also the fact that there is not a Professional Level of RC racing, you have people that say why bother with RC when a Baseball field can produce the next A-Rod.

RC Pro is working very hard to help RC Racing to grow up and become the Professional Pastime it should have been a long time ago.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter
That sounds easy enough to do, but trust me it is not. You have to be persistant and professional in your approach. --- it can be accomplished, but it not as easy as you make it out to be.
With the will to give up so easily nothing is ever accomplished. You have to want it and be willing to work at it. I campianed for many years to get a skatepark in my city and it finally has one and when I started skateboarding was actually illegal on city property. P.S. I live in an area that is listed in the top 100 every year for land value (usually near the top)

Did it it happen right away no (infact by the time it happened I had moved on to R/C) but I am very glad I did it. It tought me as lot about politics and how an organized few can still make a difference. I went to meetings, I wrote up proposals, I even ended in the local newspaper as well as the LA Times in feature articles.

I never said it would be over night nore easy but 3 years ago when many of the people on here began complaining they could have got the ball rolling and by now major progress would have been made. Not every city is the same, some may never have a facility in a million years but some may just be waiting for the right person to ask.

Many of the older guys lack time and energy but their a lot of younger guys out there with a lot of both and this is their chance to make a difference. If they head the call. If not it is nobody's loss but those who choose not to try.

The old saying applies you never know until you try.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

OVRCCC in WV. We have a winter indoor track in the lower area of a restaurant/hangout that used to be a bowling alley. We actually got a fair number of spectators (half a dozen at a time). We also picked up some new racers over the winter.

Our summer outdoor asphalt track is a great facility, but out of sight on top of a hill in a park with nothing else around. We get a few spectators who wander up the hill (we have a sign at the bottom).

To offset the shortage of spectators, we try to run a couple of off-site races each year. We run at a parking lot in a local business and then in a big local fair in late summer. This is a great way of introducing R/C where you can pick up spectators and a few new racers.

Not everyone has the great setup like Orbital's club has in Dayton. We're jealous... LOL ... but then again we don't have to set up our track on the weekend either.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:20 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachRacing
We race in the parking lot right outside my hobby shop. On average we have 75 people watching at all times, when it warms up. As soon as the nitro engines start up people come running. Plus I started a 18r box stock class this year. Nothing like having someone watch us practicing and go into the shop and buy a 18r, charger, extra battery and start racing THAT DAY.

Nash is right "location location location" I looked for about 8 months for a good spot to open a shop. Found a great place, a little more money then I wanted to pay rent wise but it is paying off.

Here are some pictures from racing last year. Nobody sitting on the grass is there with a racer all true spectators. Almost all the cars around the track have a few people in them watching.

Corey

wow, Utah is doing it big. never would have thunk it.
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Our track is in an industrial estate, but is very near to a main road.

Unfortunatly you wouldn't know it's there unless you were looking for it.

Our track is surrounded by chain link fence, for the worlds in 2006 they put alot of sponsor signs up, and unfortunatly it has obscured the view some-what from the road.

In reality we probably get more people come in to ask questions than to watch from the outside...
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 AM   #26
Tech Regular

Many tracks in the UK on council land are treat badly. The council see them as something they can get rid of as they wish. At Teesside the track was I believe council owned but thousands of pounds were spent on laying a track

Then i believe the council decided they wanted to give the land to the Kart track next door and simply moved the track to a car park, what a lovely gesture
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:07 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to RoachRacing Send a message via AIM to RoachRacing Send a message via Yahoo to RoachRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg
wow, Utah is doing it big. never would have thunk it.
You know it!

We race right next to the main road for the area. I put up 3 tents to pit under along with a few more from other people. A big banner for the hobby shop, racing flags between the tree's. People see us from the main road and pull over and watch. I am suprised we havnt caused a wreck yet.

I have looked at opening a full time track in another location but it doesnt really make sense. We wouldnt see as much traffic at all.
RoachRacing is offline   Reply With Quote